• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! Good info, didn't know about the clone keys not working for making additional copies. The locksmith specializes is this process but I'll ask him about what you said. I just want a spare for my hide-a-key and one spare for the house. I have a clip key chain that I attach to a belt loop and I think my T-shirt got in the mix. I should put a fishing pole bell on them. :pissedoff: I'm 74, losing stuff is becoming much more common!
After a couple near mishaps, I always look to make sure it’s hooked correctly now.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've always done the same. Locked myself out of a vehicle back in the early 80's. Said, Never again. Always have two keys foe each of my five vehicles. Even the two bikes, as JIC I lose one somehow. And my vehicle keys are separate from all my other keys. The only key in the switch on any of my vehicles is just that key. Nothing else. Fortunately, my 98 Ranger isn't a PATs vehicle. Somehow, while helping a guy fix a flat back in 2018, I lost a key. Maybe it somehow ended up in the bed of his truck. I haven't a clue. But I had a second key on me, so it wasn't even an issue. Gas cap key wasn't with the key I lost. Each of my vehicles has a neck lanyard. Anything related to that vehicle is on that lanyard. Fob, gas cap are separate from the keys. So if I do lose a key, it's only that key. Nothing else.
Yup, I even got myself a second set of keys for the truck I drove for work after locking the keys in the running truck by accident. Fortunately, it was dad’s truck and I was home and there was a spare key in the house, but that was the last time I had that problem, I always have a spare handy and try hard to keep track of my keys. Used to use lanyards, but after having them get pulled out of my pocket, switched to ’biners. Each set is complete for that vehicle and I have made Ford labeled keys for all of mine

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I too have a system and it’s worked flawlessly since the mid 90’s. Don’t lose the key. :icon_rofl:

Pretty much everything I’ve owned has had keyless entry… even my 89 Supercoupe had the factory keypad on the door. It’s hard to get locked out when you know the 5 digit code. It’s even harder to get locked out when you almost never lock your vehicle.

When I do lock it, I use the remote. That way I know the key is in my hand… not in the truck.
Don’t think I’ve ever lost keys, try to keep things organized so I don’t, but I have accidentally locked keys in the vehicle multiple times. I’ve actually thought that might be a nice feature to fit on a vehicle, the keypad

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Saturday I drove the '97 to the coast with the wife, not bad but kept getting behind people that were doing 52mph for whatever reason... Got gas on the way home, calculated to around 24.5mpg, last tank was 25.2mpg so not bad for an old Ranger... keeping the speed down to 62mph or thereabouts and shifting at 3k for the most part and not past 4k seems to help the mileage although much slower than shifting at 5k :). Helps make up for the $900ish I spent at the gun store while over there...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, I even got myself a second set of keys for the truck I drove for work after locking the keys in the running truck by accident. Fortunately, it was dad’s truck and I was home and there was a spare key in the house, but that was the last time I had that problem, I always have a spare handy and try hard to keep track of my keys. Used to use lanyards, but after having them get pulled out of my pocket, switched to ’biners. Each set is complete for that vehicle and I have made Ford labeled keys for all of mine
I use lanyards, but keep them around my neck. Only for the vehicles. Each vehicle has it's own, and they're all different. All my other keys are on a belt clip. One that cannot be mistaken for the vehicle keys.. Yeah, I'm anal about losing keys.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I once dropped my key chain in the driveway, and then it snowed, and then the neighbor plowed my driveway.

Didn't realize they were missing untill I was going to work a few days later. Luckily my vehicle keys were on a separate loop. Couldn't get into the building, Couldn't open my toolbox at work, no house keys.

Had to wait for the snow pile to melt in April.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So the solution is to move to Florida where it never snows?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
So the solution is to move to Florida where it never snows?
The problem with that is, if you lose your keys in the sand, sand doesn't melt, so you keys will forever be gone

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Still have been delayed on working on the green Ranger. Or any of my trucks really. But the delay will be worthwhile at some point in the future. Guess I’ll post a sneak peek of what’s getting relocated to my property…
A449A045-E7E5-483E-8CB8-220A6CCCAB6A.jpeg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
20220705_194918.jpg

Fiances driving the ranger until she learns how to drive her new 6mt car lol. Brought it home yesterday.

2018 focus ST2, 65k, way better equipped than the ranger. Totally jealous -__-

I will say though... I'm 6'2" and 240ish lbs... I'm as big as you can get and still be somewhat comfortable in the Recaro seats that come in these. Definitely not fat guy friendly.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Got those 2 replacement Ranger keys made and programmed yesterday. Seeing as how the biner keyring/belt loop combo has failed me twice now I'm going to get my nose pierced with a loop for future key storage. It might be an issue while drinking beer and eating but I doubt I'll lose my keys again.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I too have a system and it’s worked flawlessly since the mid 90’s. Don’t lose the key. :icon_rofl:

Pretty much everything I’ve owned has had keyless entry… even my 89 Supercoupe had the factory keypad on the door. It’s hard to get locked out when you know the 5 digit code. It’s even harder to get locked out when you almost never lock your vehicle.

When I do lock it, I use the remote. That way I know the key is in my hand… not in the truck.
I use a key to lock the door, that way I know the key is in my hand. Like I said, I always have two keys to whatever I'm driving that day. During the winter, it allows me to lock the door while leaving the engine running. If someone wants to steal my old 98 beater Ranger, they're welcome to it.

It's like my three garages here where I live. Always use the remote to close the garage door. Inevitably, if I choose for some dumb reason, usually distracted by someone, to close the door using the wall button, I end up locking the remotes in that garage. Then I have to have management come open the door for me. Dumb. Oh well, only done it three times in ten years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals