• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I found a step side camper

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Yup. A leer but the only bad thing is it's dark blue or black, not red. Oh well, can't be picky with a step side

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got home from camping/wheeling today, took the '90 and a 4 wheeler, went with two other families, glad I brought everything I did... Sunday it hauled one friends quad back to camp once he noticed the rear swing arm was cracked in like 3 places... got back to camp then took it apart and used my welder to get it back going in a couple hours... then sitting at camp some guy came up and asked whos Ford that was and if he had a strap... turns out his dune buggy had hit something while doing a wheelie and broke the oil pan... so I drug it to camp, then later out on a ride (yes, I was riding a Ranger while another like 6 people were on quads... wife didn't want to ride a quad...) which was convenient because one of the kids had their rear carrier bearing in the swing arm explode as far away from camp as possible... so I drug that back to camp :)

They used to call the Ranger Tumble weed since around 11 years ago I rolled it, now they're thinking of calling it the rescue ranger... whatever, it's all part of the experience :)

On Saturday the weather was complete garbage but there was a poker run in the dunes which is a good time, bunch of raffle prizes, and it was kinda fun trying to keep up with quads :), Ranger did good, still has all the front tire clearance problems, the upper balljoint adjusters moved in like they always do so the camber and toe is way out but that doesn't matter offroad, it's been aired down since March... After 12 years the Centerforce clutch is starting to do some surgy stuff in low range low gears... The main problem with it was at one point the stereo quit working... conveniently it fixed itself on Sunday? it's only like 11 years old, I don't know what it's problem is... lol

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yup. A leer but the only bad thing is it's dark blue or black, not red. Oh well, can't be picky with a step side
Is it one with windows on the angled part or solid fiberglass? It seems to me the solid side one would leave a huge blind spot but I’ve never been in a step side, let alone one with a cap.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
its the solid one. thats the only thing that bothers me about having one of those on is the blind spots. i have had them on other trucks with straight beds and i always feel like i cannot see alot of the areas behind me.

but i am hoping the benefit of having it will out weigh the blinds spots. my oldest son thinks it will be awesome though

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
its the solid one. thats the only thing that bothers me about having one of those on is the blind spots. i have had them on other trucks with straight beds and i always feel like i cannot see alot of the areas behind me.

but i am hoping the benefit of having it will out weigh the blinds spots. my oldest son thinks it will be awesome though
It’s possible to get used to living with larger blind spots. My F-150 has ladder racks and side boxes and I drove a dump truck on a regular basis for about 8 years. I have been kicking around the idea of getting one of those 360* camera systems and fitting it on the truck just because I don’t trust people, but I’m used to dealing with it

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only problem I had with blind spots when I had a cap on my F-150 was backing out of a parking spot. The solution was to just back into the parking spots.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My issue has been more due to the tint at night. It makes it hard to see what I’m backing into. With the window layout on my cap, there little to any blind spots otherwise.

Eventually, I’ll get some auxiliary back up lights so that the tint issue is minimized or eliminated.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Tried adjusting the steering box in my F-150. I was a little worried about trying that because I did it once before and I want to say it had started binding and I backed it off a little. Seems ok this time, but I really had to crank it in, think I put 5 or 6 turns on it before the wheel felt ok. I moved it back and forth and it doesn’t seem to bind, but I’ll have to drive it. Still think I’m gonna have to replace it.

That said, I did find a spare steering box that I had. Looks either nearly new or refurbished, but it doesn’t seem to want to turn by hand. Not sure if it should be that tight or if something is wrong with it.

Sharpened the chain on my little Stihl MS-170 and got it cutting straight again. Think the carb needs adjusted yet, but it works. Tested it out on a couple hickory chunks.

Tried tinkering with the green Ranger, but didn’t really make much progress

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Found a driveshaft. Called this morning about closest one I was looking at on the car-part website, $50 and an hour away. Truck had already been crushed. Next closest one was about twice as far and twice as much, but the place was sketch. (so they probably would have had it) Only ones the first yard could find one at was 4-5 hours away. I'd seen their lsiting on the car-part website. Showing new parts at $600 plus.

Remembered I had a extended cab reiveshaft at my parents house, too long but right ends. Looked for a place to get it shortened and struck out.

Taking a break from everything I hopped on facebook and top market place listing was for "Ford Ranger Parts". A guy about 10 miles from where I live was parting out a 1990 and 1993 Ranger. The '90 just happened to be a long bed with the exact driveshaft I needed. Offered $30 and I'd pull it myself, bed was off so easy job. He agreed! 45 minutes later I had a driveshaft in the back of the truck. Took 30 minutes just to find my 12pt 12mm tools. I really need to clean/organize shop next.

Also discovered that the rear axle in the little things is a 3.45, not the 4.10 like the door tag led me to believe. Not sure if the axle has been swapped or F75 is an elusive axlecode not in the chart. I assumed that just the F7 mattered which meant 4.10. Truck also has what appears to be a BII sway bar already installed in the rear, I had one I was planing to install, as well as an aftermarket Walker Quiet-Flow exhaust installed. Now I've got to figure out if I'm reinstalling the currently removed (via sawzall) catalytic converter how I'm moving forward with the rear axle swap.

Walksnotruns22

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Went and got a back window and now not sure it it's gonna work. Mine bolts in and one I got has no bolts. Junkyard to far to return right now.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Must have gotten a regular cab window, the extended cab windows bolt in but regular cab windows use the gasket, I think all used bolt in starting in '98

Walksnotruns22

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Must have gotten a regular cab window, the extended cab windows bolt in but regular cab windows use the gasket, I think all used bolt in starting in '98
Hmmm. Guess junkyard labeled it wrong.

That really sucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals