• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for mentioning that. Don't know how I missed it. :eek:

Now that raises a few questions about the drag racer... Why is he running a Ranger body?
Because he can? But, let's ask @Maritime Drag Racing for the official answer. It's his truck.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The 4.0 uses 5w30 due to the design of the oil pump and it's inability to maintain adequate oil pressure at operating temperature using 5w20. That engine design comes from a V4 designed in the early 60s. It's big, fat, inefficient, and clunky when compared to the newer engines. Don't compare it to the engines in modern vehicles. It's summer now, so a 20w doesn't matter. A 50 weight is excessive. 5w20 or 5w30 is more than adequate. There's much more to engine lubrication than the weight of the oil. You not only want the oil to maintain a film between moving parts. You also want it to flow between the parts to cool the bearing surfaces and be able to reach all the components in the valvetrain.
Agreed on all counts. I said no way am I going with xW-20 in my 4.0 Ranger because it's easy to imagine some auto shop pulling the same thing as the other poster reported. (But I change my oil myself anyway.)

Some people run heavier oil than specified thinking they're protecting the engine better or they're slowing leaks and oil consumption. My experience has been, if the engine leaks or burns oil that bad, running 20W-50 instead of 10W-30 makes little difference. It won't help. Time for an overhaul. Also, if the higher-viscosity oil doesn't pump or flow properly, it could cause real harm.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I stick with what the oil cap says is supposed to go in it. Honda at some point had switched from 5W-30 to something thinner as a recommended oil for that engine. Not sure why and didn't dig into it. Then engine ran fine and had good oil test results with the original viscosity.

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
In case you wondered why my Ranger has a SBC it's because I already had engine/trans since the 1980s and I bought the truck as a roller for only $1000 CDN with the ProStar wheels, gauges, radiator, fuel cell, SBC fenderwell headers and even a good battery. I think the Ranger is a way better truck for drag racing than an S10 - more room under the hood, tougher suspension, and way better visibility for watching the guy in the other lane. I wuldn't trade it for dozen S10s.....

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
MDR, didn't know you were on the forum!

Wouldn't a pickup body be too light in the rear for drag racing? Or doesn't it make much difference?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i was wondering that too, the rear end being lighter. i see lots of people run trucks though so there must be some suspension magic going on that doesn't happen on regular trucks used as daily drivers, ha ha ha, because my little ranger just spins and barely grabs if you rev it and pop the clutch

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
It's all about that weight transfer and sticky tires.

Tons of fast pickups out there.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I finally got around to getting the engine oil, transmission fluid, and transfer case fluid changed (a month late). I still have to do the brake inspections and rotate the tires but I didn't have the time for that today. I did get to lube the leaf spring bolts. I forgot to look at the spring packs though and see how many pads need replaced. I know there is at least a couple that got pretty mangled up from the last trail ride. But at least the preventative maintenance is getting done finally.

Spidey300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R14
Last night I finally replaced my spark plugs and wires on my 98 2.5L. Haven't changed them before and the #3 wire boot on the passenger side was partially melted and visibly arcing/ticking while running.

Boy, that was not fun. I had the wobble extensions, etc. so the actual plug removal and install was the easy part. One of those flex cable claw grabber tools actually worked great to feed the plug down to the socket and get it started. Getting the wire boots off #3 and #4 on the driver side sucked. I didn't have a long enough pliers and they didn't have the plastic handle covers on them. When I finally got #3 boot off, the metal inside of the plug boot stayed on the plug so I couldn't get my deep socket on it so I had a heck of a time with that. Then #4 did the same thing. Luckily, my wife doesn't mind working on cars and has small hands and came out to help.

Snaking the new wires and boots with the plastic puller handles on them was another pain for #3 and #4. It was almost impossible to get them turned into position and lined up properly. I'm still not sure I got them pushed back on all the way.

Anyway, I was up til 1am and this morning I ordered a set of 11" long reach needle and ring nose pliers, lol.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I tried fixing a couple escape spare tires, put the green goop in them, bolted them in the back of the ranger & went for a ride. they still leak, rust between rim & tire on one rim and between valve stem & rim on the other. Now im using the tailgate as a workbench , goung through my work toolbox, taking out stuff I never use, getting rid of all the extra fasteners that Ive collected (and never seem to use). Next I will probably head to town for some topsoil. got gas last night, almost $40 and wasnt even at half a tank yet. I remember when 20 was more than enough, and I had a smaller tank with a bigger engine too!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Spent money and added another parts truck (sorta) to the stable. Gotta figure out where to host pictures at these days and I might get some posted.

EDIT: I guess I could use the forum's media gallery for now.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Last night I finally replaced my spark plugs and wires on my 98 2.5L. Haven't changed them before and the #3 wire boot on the passenger side was partially melted and visibly arcing/ticking while running.

Boy, that was not fun. I had the wobble extensions, etc. so the actual plug removal and install was the easy part. One of those flex cable claw grabber tools actually worked great to feed the plug down to the socket and get it started. Getting the wire boots off #3 and #4 on the driver side sucked. I didn't have a long enough pliers and they didn't have the plastic handle covers on them. When I finally got #3 boot off, the metal inside of the plug boot stayed on the plug so I couldn't get my deep socket on it so I had a heck of a time with that. Then #4 did the same thing. Luckily, my wife doesn't mind working on cars and has small hands and came out to help.

Snaking the new wires and boots with the plastic puller handles on them was another pain for #3 and #4. It was almost impossible to get them turned into position and lined up properly. I'm still not sure I got them pushed back on all the way.

Anyway, I was up til 1am and this morning I ordered a set of 11" long reach needle and ring nose pliers, lol.
Those driver's side plugs are a real bear for sure. Been there. I think the 2.3 engines are the same deal, at least the dual plug versions.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Got all the preventative maintenance done on the 2011. For a 12 year old truck, she's holding up pretty good, though age is starting to show. The front, passenger side brake splash shield has separated from the knuckle and the driver's side is partially broken off. Time to do something about that.

The parking shoes are showing their age now too. The passenger side, upper shoe material is delaminating from the backing. So, I have to get those and a new set of hardware on order for that as well.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
My front brake splash sheilds are long gone. Today I really used my ranger, took the cap off and went to menards. 2 trips actually. 1st trip was 6 bags topsoil, 14 bags mulch, 56 12” x 3” paver things and 2 hanging baskets. Trip 2 was 12 bags river rock and 15 (more) bags of mulch. I did get the garden in before todays rain, so even though I still need to do the mulch & concrete borders around the maples lining the driveway I am still calling today a success. Got home just before the rain.
861D21C6-3C53-4FC6-A0FF-7FBF354282DD.jpeg
50F5A9D5-0365-4ED7-B7CD-FB05550C1231.jpeg
6AB8E182-1E64-4878-97B2-E0E3CB501EA5.jpeg
7B18D154-8C82-4797-A36C-EA7F4D66E24F.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals