• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see 3 vehicles... Did the kid drive one of them?
The joys of both of us having to work on a otherwise gorgeous weekend. We are like 5 miles from home so running home to grab another car isn't a big deal.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The joys of both of us having to work on a otherwise gorgeous weekend. We are like 5 miles from home so running home to grab another car isn't a big deal.
So the Ranger and camper are basecamp... got it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The passenger front speaker went out on the '97 on Monday morning annoyingly, so I faded the stereo to the back which wasn't ideal... the other day I ordered some "Boss" 4 way 5x7" speakers from Amazon for $39ish for the pair... they got here today and I just got to the house from putting them in. Turns out they bolt right up in place. The speaker wire they came with was like 35awg and I couldn't get it to solder anyway so I came up with this:

20220513_204814.jpg

This is the second one, the whiskey drink had kicked in a little and the ain't care level had increased... it's super easy to remove the stock connector from the stock speakers, still didn't solder great with the soldering iron I had handy... For future reference positive on the Ford connector is opposite the latch on the connector, I looked it up, whether it matters too much or not I don't know but what the heck...

That said, it sounds WAY better than it has before, I hooked the phone up to the cassette adapter and cranked it with a bunch of songs just to get some varying sounds and I'm impressed... at some point I might grab a second set for the back...

Started on the passenger side, then came up with the above method of wiring (I'd originally soldered 2" of the supplied wire to the same stock speaker connector) while I was doing the drivers side, then also remembered there was a rattle in the passenger side window when it was down driving around so I took it apart and fixed the speaker wiring then found the rattle, the top nut on the center guide post thing was sitting in the bottom of the door, from the rust on it it's been there for many years... ran a tap down the nut and put it back on, I wasn't in the mood to dig through the coffee can of junkyard fasteners I have to find a replacement...

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven't been on the board, so time to catch up. I noticed an oil leak which appears to be coming from the back of the valve cover. I re-torqued the valve cover bolts and noticed two in the back were loose. I wiped the oil off so I could see if tightening the bolts made a difference. I also checked crankcase pressure/vacuum. No more pressure. It now has a slight vacuum after replacing the PCV valve. I then made a 400 mile round-trip this week and checked for oil at the back of the valve cover. At this point it appears tightening the bolts fixed the leak, or at least reduced it. I'm going to give it another week to see what happens. Nonetheless, I'm sure a valve cover gasket replacement project is in my future as the rubber gaskets they use now were meant to seal a clean surface, not an oily one. I'm sure the new PCV valve is helping reduce the oil leak in the meantime.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I see 3 vehicles... Did the kid drive one of them?
They're farmers, or almost farmers or something like that. It's almost a law to teach the kids to drive by the time they reach age 3 or 4.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nah usually they can't reach the pedals until they are about 7 or so...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They're farmers, or almost farmers or something like that. It's almost a law to teach the kids to drive by the time they reach age 3 or 4.
Kid had the fourth truck.

20220513_201329.jpg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't been on the board, so time to catch up. I noticed an oil leak which appears to be coming from the back of the valve cover. I re-torqued the valve cover bolts and noticed two in the back were loose. I wiped the oil off so I could see if tightening the bolts made a difference. I also checked crankcase pressure/vacuum. No more pressure. It now has a slight vacuum after replacing the PCV valve. I then made a 400 mile round-trip this week and checked for oil at the back of the valve cover. At this point it appears tightening the bolts fixed the leak, or at least reduced it. I'm going to give it another week to see what happens. Nonetheless, I'm sure a valve cover gasket replacement project is in my future as the rubber gaskets they use now were meant to seal a clean surface, not an oily one. I'm sure the new PCV valve is helping reduce the oil leak in the meantime.
Indian head gasket shellac. You will need a dead blow mallet to remove the valve covers without damage after that, but leaks with about any gasket should stop

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Indian head gasket shellac. You will need a dead blow mallet to remove the valve covers without damage after that, but leaks with about any gasket should stop
That still requires removing the valve cover. If I were to use a sealant I would use Aviation #3 because I can disassemble stuff after using it and it is easier to prep the surfaces with it for a new gasket. However, the molded rubber gaskets used now only require sealants where they cross joints like the timing cover and the block. Otherwise, they work much better than the gaskets used in the past. This one lasted 15 years in an area with very hot summers which accelerates the normal aging process that causes rubber to shrink and harden.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Since it didn’t rain today I ended up spending a little time on mom’s Explorer. Pulled the fan and shroud and serpentine belt so I could get at the power steering pressure line. Had to pull the pulley off the pump to get a good bite on the fitting. Got the nut off the rack but can’t get the line to pop out. There’s always another day to mess with it. 02 Explorer with the SOHC 4.0

Also finally got around to getting my Stihl MS170 back together. Cleaned up some restrictions on the intake side (there’s some aluminum that wraps the bottom of the air box and sort of becomes like a gasket with the carb but the hole was punched off center of where it needed to be so it was restricting what got to the carb), new air filter and plug, straightened the exhaust fins, straightened the throttle linkage so it actually will hit full throttle, put a metal bucking bar on, and converted it to side adjustment for the bar tension. Seems to like my efforts so far, seems like it’s running much better. Next will be to adjust the carb. It’s going to see a bit of use here soon.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Went to the truck Saturday. Hooked the battery back up, jumped it, and it started on the second turn of the key. Almost on the first. Got it back home. Will be applying some RTV to it later today, in the hopes of avoiding this happening again in the future.

I don't know if something got wet, and dried, or if disconnecting the battery for three days, fixed it?

But it's not at a Pick-A-Part. LOL!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals