• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
They say that if you buy used all of your life, you will save about a 1/4 of a million on payments and interest.
That’s probably true now with buying just two new vehicles compared to a life time of buying and fixing used vehicles. The interest on a new vehicle is freckin stupid! I try to save up and buy everything out right instead of financing. Yeah it takes a little longer to get whatever it is, but we save tons in interest payments.

For example, the ranger that I’m building right now. I have invested something like $5000 maybe $6000 into including a new trans and 5 tires with rims. A new or even slightly used ranger is $35,000 or more. My ranger is going to be superior in ride quality and durability but won’t have that nice “new feelin” just yet. Not until I replace all the interior stuff at least. But the new ones are way faster.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
All I did to the Ranger, was turn it around in the driveway, in preparation for the next round of front suspension tuning.

But, as part of my garage cleaning effort, I used up some extra materials. My little roll-around seat had broken a month ago. I built a much more robust replacement. Then I added a shelf under a work table I built a couple years ago.

The cheap, broken thing.
View attachment 75460

My replacement.
View attachment 75461
That will give you wafflebutt...

AJ

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My understanding is that all the 10 and 11 Ranger trucks had RSC which is why they eliminated the FX4 and the limited slip rear axles from those years.
I'll check this. But the 2011 brochure still listed a limited-slip rear as an option, and the owner's manual also mentions it in the maintenance pages (type of fluid, etc.). Now we have a mystery...

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
I just installed the new rear Taillights. Easy peasy.
They look nice. I may get the 3157 LED Switchback Light Bulbs.
20220427_130439.jpg

Just bought a pair of 3157 LED Switchback bulbs on eBay. The seller is in NY. Good price too.
Screenshot_20220427-130854_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Certain LSDs are listed as compatible with
does your 2011 have roll stability control? RSC does not play well with limited slip axles which may explain why you can't find any.
Some limited slips claim to be compatible with that. Whether they really are might be a different story.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Haven’t got to working on one of my Rangers yet. Everyone else’s vehicles keep getting in the way. Mom’s vehicle is running better, though I’m still kind of inclined to at least clean the solenoids for the VVT. Dad’s Ranger is making a clicking/clunking noise. I’m suspecting sway bar related, but I’ll have to do some checking. Think the one transmission line might be starting to leak too. And I still have to do something about replacing the steering box in my F-150.

Then last night I got a call from the GF, her car won’t start. She said it was fine going to work and when she came out it wouldn’t turn over. Some guy there looked at it but didn’t know what to suggest. Of course I had doctor appointment and therapy today and even without that would need a ride to get out there to look at it, so yeah. Not really sure what to tell her, she can’t afford to tow it to a garage and have them fix it after having a heater core put in (requires the dash to be pulled and only the GM one fit properly so that was like $800), front calipers seized, tie rod went bad and a couple other issues this year plus she was out of work for two months with a broken foot. I’d see if I could find an fix the problem if I could get out there but it’s a little beyond where I’m currently capable of driving to and still be functional.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Found the ever elusive 4wd manual shifter boot and bezel for a m5od at the junkyard outside of town. They’re filthy but are in good shape. Probably gonna build a little metal bezel to securely mount the shifter boots to the plastic bezel though.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
What grill is that in the Single Cab Ranger?
Looks ... different
The inspiration came from those early T birds. I epoxied a couple Ford Explorer grills together to create a vintage egg crate style. Two schools of thought seem to dominate automotive design. One is creases. The other is curves. The rear half of the step side Edge seems to be all about curves, so I decided to be consistent and swapped the old creased Ford Edge bonnet and installed a standard Ranger hood with a simple "power bulge." I blacked out the headlights too, going from rectangular to round.

Attachments

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I drove it up to Placerville. It was running fine until the trip back when I noticed the idle wasn't decreasing like it should between shifts, sometimes increasing. I'm sure it has something to do with cleaning the throttle body yesterday. I did the basic checks and cleaned the IAC valve while I was checking things. I still have the problem. I've read a few posts on various forums stating throttle body cleaner messes up the throttle position sensor. I think I'm going to order a bluetooth OBD2 scanner so I can see what the sensors are doing.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I drove it up to Placerville. It was running fine until the trip back when I noticed the idle wasn't decreasing like it should between shifts, sometimes increasing. I'm sure it has something to do with cleaning the throttle body yesterday. I did the basic checks and cleaned the IAC valve while I was checking things. I still have the problem. I've read a few posts on various forums stating throttle body cleaner messes up the throttle position sensor. I think I'm going to order a bluetooth OBD2 scanner so I can see what the sensors are doing.
Check for a vacuum leak, I don’t remember details of your truck but I had a 93 4.0 that did that, ended up being the fuel rail gasket. It had pulled in at the front & rear. I had pictures but they are on photobucket and its been so ling since I quit using them Im not sure they exist or how to access them now. I probably discussed it all here but its been many years ago (10-ish?)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
you can still get into photobucket but they won't let you download the pics, or link them anywhere without paying for an account.

i hadn't used it in 10 or so years too but they sent me an email saying i need to log in to keep my photos from being deleted, about 3 weeks ago. i did and they were all still on there but not useable without a paying membership

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check for a vacuum leak, I don’t remember details of your truck but I had a 93 4.0 that did that, ended up being the fuel rail gasket. It had pulled in at the front & rear. I had pictures but they are on photobucket and its been so ling since I quit using them Im not sure they exist or how to access them now. I probably discussed it all here but its been many years ago (10-ish?)
It's holding the idle up to the speed the engine was at before I released the clutch. It doesn't go down until I come to a stop. However, if I'm going slow the idle sometimes goes up when I release the clutch before going back down again. I'm sure it is something from the throttle body to the air filter box. Those are the only things I did anything with. Anway, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the clip that locks the connector turned into plastic powder when I touched it. That's what hot summers do to plastic and rubber parts. It made me start wondering if coating plastic connectors and rubber parts with something like Sil-Glyde would work as a preservative. I have the connector held on with a zip tie. I may make a trip the the local pull it yourself boneyard and get a connector there, if I can find one in good shape. Application cross references state the same connector is used on many Ford an Mazda vehicles after about 2000. If that fails, Rockauto has them.

I ordered a cheap bluetooth OBD2 scanner. It probably has cloned ELM327 chip, but it will do what I need it to do right now. When I get the time I'll do some research and try to find one with a real ELM327 if the one I ordered has some shortcomings.

Isk Stark

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
5"
Tire Size
Hauled a floor jack and toolbox up to my friends house to change the oil in his Honda Odyssey. His wife put about 10 quarts of oil in it because it has a small oil leak.

She genuinely thought an engine could never have too much oil. I explained the engine mechanics to them, but he is an actual philosopher (PhD in philosophy), so I’m not sure if my explanation was taken as theoretical or practical. 😂

I pray that they take these life lessons to heart and realize the importance of taking better care of their autos.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Put a on/in a new used ECM, intake tube, alternator and repinned the oil pressure sensor wire to work. She’s running like a factory vehicle now. I’m also going to install a new T-stat today because the new one that’s in it is sticking, causing the temp to get up to 210 deg which reads as too hot on the gauge.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It's holding the idle up to the speed the engine was at before I released the clutch. It doesn't go down until I come to a stop. However, if I'm going slow the idle sometimes goes up when I release the clutch before going back down again. I'm sure it is something from the throttle body to the air filter box. Those are the only things I did anything with. Anway, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the clip that locks the connector turned into plastic powder when I touched it. That's what hot summers do to plastic and rubber parts. It made me start wondering if coating plastic connectors and rubber parts with something like Sil-Glyde would work as a preservative. I have the connector held on with a zip tie. I may make a trip the the local pull it yourself boneyard and get a connector there, if I can find one in good shape. Application cross references state the same connector is used on many Ford an Mazda vehicles after about 2000. If that fails, Rockauto has them.

I ordered a cheap bluetooth OBD2 scanner. It probably has cloned ELM327 chip, but it will do what I need it to do right now. When I get the time I'll do some research and try to find one with a real ELM327 if the one I ordered has some shortcomings.
IAC might be stuck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals