• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
My dad only used rangers for his company but we had to make sure we kept them clean. And these were plumbing trucks

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I removed the throttle body assembly to give it a good cleaning. I also checked the air filter and I need to replace it. The airbox had about an eighth to a quarter of an inch of dust and leaves stuck to the bottom. This is a dusty place. The vacuum cleaner wasn't doing a very good job on it, so I removed the air box and gave it a bubble bath in bucket of car wash. It's drying out in the garage right now. I noticed the maf sensor has a bit of fine dust on it too, so I'll have to clean that as well.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I wish dad took better care of his stuff, many years ago I was going to borrow the ‘77 F250 (400,full-time 4wd, C6, 4.10’s) I had started it up to warm up a bit and as I was walking back to it after 5 min and saw something leaking, turned out to be oil from the oil filter, It had been so long since it had a oil change that the oil filter had rusted a small hole in it. Glad I found it before going out on the road.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Even work trucks should be maintained better than that. Sad, ain't it? And you know lots of those you saw in the boneyard were personal vehicles.

There was a YouTube video (since deleted) showing an auto shop preparing to fix the steering box on a (approx.) 2002 Ford Super Duty work truck. The video was posted in a thread on BITOG before deletion. The frame was rusted so badly that the repair was impossible. The Super Duty was not repairable without replacing the entire frame. Pieces fell off when the shop owner tried to raise it with a lift. One of the crossmembers under the bed was totally gone.

Yet the business owner of the truck said he really liked it and had wanted to keep it running. Then why didn't he get it rustproofed and undercoated after he bought it new?

I tell myself sometimes that I'd like to find a limited-slip 3.55 axle to replace the standard open-diff 3.55 my 2011 has. The limited-slip had been a factory option, but discovering one in a boneyard would be like finding a needle in a haystack. The axle would have to come from a 2010 or 2011 as earlier axles won't interchange. Think I'll just leave well enough alone. Everything inside the diff was super-clean when I changed the diff fluid last year.
does your 2011 have roll stability control? RSC does not play well with limited slip axles which may explain why you can't find any.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Clean trucks show that employees take pride in their work
Not so much. I am very ocd at work but my trucks are rhode hard and put away wet. I do maintain them well though. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to keep abusing them like a red headed step child.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Not so much. I am very ocd at work but my trucks are rhode hard and put away wet. I do maintain them well though. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to keep abusing them like a red headed step child.
I bought an old beater for $1,800 and drove it for 20 years. There's nothing wrong with that but if I were to buy a new or newer truck, I would want to keep it looking new for as long as possible, maintain it, keep the interior clean and the outside waxed.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I bought an old beater for $1,800 and drove it for 20 years. There's nothing wrong with that but if I were to buy a new or newer truck, I would want to keep it looking new for as long as possible, maintain it, keep the interior clean and the outside waxed.
Definitely, I would treat a new truck better. But then again I’m too much of a tight wad to buy a new truck so I don’t know for sure. But I understand the idea.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely, I would treat a new truck better. But then again I’m too much of a tight wad to buy a new truck so I don’t know for sure. But I understand the idea.
I am too, but I always seem to have plenty of time and money to restore these little trucks. I've found that parts are common and cheap.So I go to the junkyard and look around for upgrades and replacement parts. Slowly but surely, my old Ranger is beginning to look new again.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I am too, but I always seem to have plenty of time and money to restore these little trucks. I've found that parts are common and cheap.So I go to the junkyard and look around for upgrades and replacement parts. Slowly but surely, my old Ranger is beginning to look new again.
I know how that goes. I mentally justify it because even though it takes years, I’m spending a fraction of the amount it would be to buy a new truck.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I know how that goes. I mentally justify it because even though it takes years, I’m spending a fraction of the amount it would be to buy a new truck.
They say that if you buy used all of your life, you will save about a 1/4 of a million on payments and interest.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
does your 2011 have roll stability control? RSC does not play well with limited slip axles which may explain why you can't find any.
Not as far as I know. The truck is an XLT, but it isn't loaded with a lot of bells and whistles compared with some I've seen. I'm not spending a lot of time and effort to find a limited-slip rear either. Probably a safe bet that few 2010–2011 Rangers had one.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Thanks. I must say that the advice given here has been impeccable. I have learned a lot, but as long as I am questing for other parts, I will continue to search for a LS. A new old Ranger arrived at the U-View attachment 75536Pull today. I'm driving out there in a few hours. I'm going with another Ranger owner. The quest is part of the fun.
What grill is that in the Single Cab Ranger?
Looks ... different

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My understanding is that all the 10 and 11 Ranger trucks had RSC which is why they eliminated the FX4 and the limited slip rear axles from those years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals