• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Been too busy clearing snow to do much more than drive them.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Arcing and sparking. Details in my build thread in a couple minutes.

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Watched the snow melt off of it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Used the '97 to move 1/3 of a bed worth of firewood from the wood shed to the front porch again...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Used the 2011 to jump the 2019. The theoretically 2 year old battery took a dump. And it took a dump again after the girlfriend got to where she was going 30 minutes away. So, I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to see what can be done about it and when.

I'm sure they are going to want to test the system to make sure something in the system didn't kill it. So, it probably won't be a straight battery swap.

Surprisingly, the OEM battery is an AGM. I found that out when looking up the part on Tasca to see how much they cost. I expected it to be a regular old plate battery. Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone only listed AGM batteries as well. NAPA wasn't much help. They listed 119 different batteries after I put in the vehicle specs and store location. Many that obviously wouldn't fit. They just keep reminding me more and more why I avoid using them.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Used the 2011 to jump the 2019. The theoretically 2 year old battery took a dump. And it took a dump again after the girlfriend got to where she was going 30 minutes away. So, I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to see what can be done about it and when.

I'm sure they are going to want to test the system to make sure something in the system didn't kill it. So, it probably won't be a straight battery swap.

Surprisingly, the OEM battery is an AGM. I found that out when looking up the part on Tasca to see how much they cost. I expected it to be a regular old plate battery. Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone only listed AGM batteries as well. NAPA wasn't much help. They listed 119 different batteries after I put in the vehicle specs and store location. Many that obviously wouldn't fit. They just keep reminding me more and more why I avoid using them.
Your not the only one to have your new battery take a dump. Seems to be a somewhat common warranty item on the 19+ trucks.

I think I read something about the battery's needing to be AGM because of the auto stop-start. No idea if thats accurate.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Your not the only one to have your new battery take a dump. Seems to be a somewhat common warranty item on the 19+ trucks.

I think I read something about the battery's needing to be AGM because of the auto stop-start. No idea if thats accurate.
Well, we'll see what the dealer has to say when I give them a call tomorrow. $180 Tasca price for the battery. Advance and AutoZone want $209 before military discount. I prefer free but we are down one vehicle. There is no spare and we both have to go to work. And she doesn't have paid time off and I'm making up a drill that was already missed due to illness. Rock and hard place time.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I’ve gotten a few batteries for vehicles at rural king for $50 and they have seemed to be good, only bad one Ive had was really my fault, the alternator was dieing on the 94 a few years back, I put a manual charger on after dinner and forgot to take it off before bed- cooked it. Ive yet to buy a automatic charger- need to! I believe rural king batteries are made by exide corp.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve gotten a few batteries for vehicles at rural king for $50 and they have seemed to be good, only bad one Ive had was really my fault, the alternator was dieing on the 94 a few years back, I put a manual charger on after dinner and forgot to take it off before bed- cooked it. Ive yet to buy a automatic charger- need to! I believe rural king batteries are made by exide corp.
Word I got was that Exide “refurbishes” the Rural King batteries which is why they are cheap. Buddy went through three of them before going elsewhere. I’ve had pretty good luck with Autozone batteries so that’s what I’ve been getting last few years. Believe they are made by Johnson Controls

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, we'll see what the dealer has to say when I give them a call tomorrow. $180 Tasca price for the battery. Advance and AutoZone want $209 before military discount. I prefer free but we are down one vehicle. There is no spare and we both have to go to work. And she doesn't have paid time off and I'm making up a drill that was already missed due to illness. Rock and hard place time.
If you have to spend that much on an AGM battery anyway, might as well consider something like an Optima yellow-top (not the cheaper red-top, heard those have had quality problems).

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you have to spend that much on an AGM battery anyway, might as well consider something like an Optima yellow-top (not the cheaper red-top, heard those have had quality problems).
The truck is still under warranty. As long as the dealer does their part, I shouldn’t have to pay anything. This particular dealer has a pretty good service and parts department. So, it shouldn’t be an issue.

As far as Optima goes, I knew some had problems. Nice to know it’s only the red top.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had some hints of death wobble recently, checked and found about a mm of play in the PS outer tie rod end.

Had some good weather today and put a new one in, and set the toe in with the laser.

Mostly fixed, still have a little steering wheel vibration above 60 mph when the road surface gets lumpy. Everything from ball joints to steering rack to tie rods is newish and tight, so it's going to be spring before I figure that out.

-Jazzer

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I went for a drive, first time ive had it out of the driveway since going to my parents for christmas. I just unboxed a new generator I bought during black friday and discovered I needed a 30 amp 120 plug, after filling generator with gas my 5 gallon can was nearly empty, I knew the ranger was at 3/4 tank so might as well drive it & top it off along with the gas can and getting the plug I needed at tsc. The heater was working much better, have fan off now and being 40 degrees out helps. Felt good to have it out. May drive it to work thurs so I can get home, if we get the snow thats being forecast I sure dont want that low clearance car.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Dropped the 2019 off at the dealer for them to look at the battery not holding a charge issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals