• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Brand new air and fuel filters. The fuel system cleaner is my next attempt. Sometimes it stumbles and feels like it wants to die right after startup. I thought about even replacing the fuel pump. Sounds like it works way too hard when priming.
I'm not a mechanic ive just been good at keeping mine running so I don't offer up many solutions beyond the basics usually....Ive used the stp regularly for years, about once a month I use/add it, usually the white bottle(plastic), that's the reg strength one.....i like it, my old ranger, a 2000 I got with 60k miles on it, I sold it with 525k miles orig motor orig injectors(or at least since 60k when I got it ), never had any injector or fuel problems..........maybe you could measure your fuel pressure (??), ive seen guys talk about that on here

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Drove mine to work & back today, wanted to park it with a full tank of fuel so needed to do that before “salt season” happens. Ive put 200 miles on it in the last month, all within old place & new place (4 miles) most of them with a trailer attached, usually the flatbed but I did use the box trailer a couple of times with the ranger and the ranger trailer made a trip or few behind the truck. Wish the garage was organized enough to park it under roof, but its a mess and all 3 trailers are loaded with stuff, only trailer not getting unloaded is the ranger trailer. It has the side racks on and is filled with seasoned maple, just gonna tarp it and call it good for winter. Was nice to have the ranger out again, feels a lot more powerful not towing something. Has a weird oil smell when starting though, like old chevies with bad valve seals. never known a 2.3 to do that, and this head has been changed out, only about 4 years and 20K miles since that happened. So for now its resting but ready if needed, after a month of moving its earned a break- though I hate to let it sit but the crap they insist on coating the roads with is worse, let the hhr take that abusive corrosion.
Might be oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold. You probably smell it burning for a few minutes until it burns off.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Spent Thanksgiving alone, had Rebecca on my mind the whole day. Did something for myself, drove my ranger to the beach and went for a long walk. Sat on the beach and looked at the ocean for a few hours. Drove back and watched Chicago pd for the day, watching voight beat up people.. love that show.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bought a little road box for the ranger at TSC today for $40. Packed it with stuff i had in my Remline. It was supposed to be road box but i decided against it because my grandpa gave me that box and someone walking off with it would give me serious homicidal thoughts. Anyway here it is packed full.

42726764-DB55-49F0-9231-BE62729DB892.jpeg

Under the rags
2AB6A9CB-D326-463B-ADAB-2CDD3700AB23.jpeg

Top drawer
6F1A59E0-CF5D-42F6-99E2-334850F38A13.jpeg

bottom drawer
4AD8F0B9-0E2A-4A0E-A3CB-AD3CF9CC1ED4.jpeg

I have a trolley jack and a 2ft breaker bar in the big toolbox for flats.

Last edited:

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Nice! Good thing you took a photo, probably the last time it will look that organized if you are anything like me.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Took the FX4 on a road trip to spend Thanksgiving weekend with family.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice! Good thing you took a photo, probably the last time it will look that organized if you are anything like me.
Im OCD about my toolboxes actually lol. All 8 of them stay clean and organized. The sockets in the road box will have 3d printed organizers like the wrenches when i have time to lay it all out in CAD. I got problems lol. This one is my biggin.
A2755A0E-4C70-410D-B9B6-F7BE1827D937.jpeg

Built a top for the long ratchets and pry bars and general overflow a while back.
BA822C61-0E32-4603-817F-6C99B71A635C.jpeg
771CE5EB-4D7E-48D8-8B9B-2D4D364629A7.jpeg

Even my junk drawer is organized. Used bins from Dollar Tree.
35FE2328-9BD8-46A5-A5C6-4B4CB0F2FEBD.jpeg

Here is my old work setup
The remline stuff moved into these carts and the Remline is pretty much a gunsmithing/3d printing toolbox now.
04EF763B-1E04-45F8-9C3C-EAF7F4D191BF.jpeg

Top of the white cart
24D94DD9-E497-40F4-BE03-3DB384332E3A.jpeg

My other two boxes from the video sit with the corner and catch overflow tooling and whatnot. I hate having to hunt for a tool lol, i like everything clean and organized plus an organized box looks soooo much better imo. Sorry for the long winded post, im a toolaholic.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Im considering bringing one of my smaller boxes into the house, I have plenty of extra tools that I could have a “in-house” tool kit, seems like im always needing to run out to the garage for something. And now where Im at its a detached garage, I may build a breezeway someday but theres bigger fish to fry and winter is setting in, Ive still got a lot to put away, just yesterday I got the flatbed empty of its load since I have a furniture pick up next friday, Id rather use the box trailer but its full and I just dont have time right now to find a place for everything, Im still trying to get the garage in a useable condition, at least now I can get 2 of the vehicles in it. I have 2 “extra” rooms in the house, one is a office and the other mainly has christmas stuff in it, I should have room enough for some tools. Think I will use the “kennedy” box I got from a garage sale last summer, didn’t really need it but couldn’t pass it up. Needs a little cleaning but think it will do.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im considering bringing one of my smaller boxes into the house, I have plenty of extra tools that I could have a “in-house” tool kit, seems like im always needing to run out to the garage for something. And now where Im at its a detached garage, I may build a breezeway someday but theres bigger fish to fry and winter is setting in, Ive still got a lot to put away, just yesterday I got the flatbed empty of its load since I have a furniture pick up next friday, Id rather use the box trailer but its full and I just dont have time right now to find a place for everything, Im still trying to get the garage in a useable condition, at least now I can get 2 of the vehicles in it. I have 2 “extra” rooms in the house, one is a office and the other mainly has christmas stuff in it, I should have room enough for some tools. Think I will use the “kennedy” box I got from a garage sale last summer, didn’t really need it but couldn’t pass it up. Needs a little cleaning but think it will do.
A house box is handy. Heres a tip though, keep your nice screwdriver set in the garage box. If you have a mrs, chances are shes going to need a screwdriver at some point and then its gone lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Woke up late today, nice to sleep in and not have a real plan... I've been too stressed lately and put off sleep...

Anywho got my '97 from my friends house last night that I left there on Wednesday being responsible, and to do something small I changed the coil that was bad from a loose spark plug wire that ate away at the coil that I've had for like 3 weeks... then I adjusted the drivers door striker that's been grinding since I put this door on, I should have adjusted it sooner, the door actually shuts easy now...

Between rain showers I hope to put some rivnuts in the bedrails of the '90 to hold on the passenger side bedrail covers since the sheet metal screws gave out on it a few years ago... the nutsetter tool was in the '97 or I would have done that yesterday :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Took me two months to round up the help but I got the topper set back on it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got the bed rail mounted back on the '90 after a couple years... picked a dumb route that I should have done years ago... just drilled and tapped for 10-32 screws, I forgot it just had #8 sheet metal screws threaded into the aluminum rail and the bed... this time did it right and drilled the rail to clear the screw... If I get ambitious I might do the other side... but probably not :)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals