• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
I gave up trying to restore my OE fog lights. I put in new TYC fogs with new halogen bulbs from RA for less than $37. It was a no brainer, I must have wasted that much alone on polishing kits. Why Ford put those evil spring washers over the mounting nuts is beyond me; there's no good way to remove those without buggering up those plastic mounting studs. Now I can see again when driving bad dirt roads at night, what a difference.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I gave up trying to restore my OE fog lights. I put in new TYC fogs with new halogen bulbs from RA for less than $37. It was a no brainer, I must have wasted that much alone on polishing kits. Why Ford put those evil spring washers over the mounting nuts is beyond me; there's no good way to remove those without buggering up those plastic mounting studs. Now I can see again when driving bad dirt roads at night, what a difference.
I know im a little late since you bought new ones already but F those kits. Throw some 600 on a DA or palm sander and go hard till they arent yellow then work your way up to wet sanding with 2000 grit. After that just buff, polish, and clear coat with 2k clear.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
I know im a little late since you bought new ones already but F those kits. Throw some 600 on a DA or palm sander and go hard till they arent yellow then work your way up to wet sanding with 2000 grit. After that just buff, polish, and clear coat with 2k clear.
Thanks. I tried exactly that with my DA and Foredom with various polishing grits and it was useless. Mine were not yellow but were so sand pitted, brittle, and chemically etched they would be like crepe paper if I was ever able to get them smooth again. My time is worth more than that considering the low replacement cost. My original head lights were almost as bad and replacement just made more sense to me. I'm not lazy, I just know the cost/labor/frustration benefits ratio didn't work for me.

Last edited:

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. I tried exactly that with my DA and Fordham with various polishing grits and it was useless. Mine were not yellow but were so sand pitted, brittle, and chemically etched they would be like crepe paper if I was ever able to get them smooth again. My time is worth more than that considering the low replacement cost. My original head lights were almost as bad and replacement just made more sense to me. I'm not lazy, I just know the cost/labor/frustration ratio benefits didn't work for me.
Ahhh makes sense. My old tahoe came from New Mexico and its lights were the same way. Sand really eats up plastic.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got ambitious and had some help, so we took the heads over to my shed with the big torch. Couldn’t get the one bolt, there wasn’t enough to grab onto. The other bolt and the broken spark plug came out though. Either going to have to try welding a nut to the last bolt or drill it out. Then maybe I can start working on trying to get the engine back together. Going to be little steps for awhile

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I hooked up the ranger trailer, put a new LED magnet light kit on. Going to finish getting the rest of the things from the old house tomorrow. Garage doors got fixed today, maybe I can get some stuff organized and put away. Left rear tire losing air, Im considering just taking that set off, the blizzacks are over 10 years old and are not nearly as “grippy” as they once were, can spin easily on wet pavement.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You should post a video of it splitting the biggest baddest chunk. That’s just good entertainment. 👍
Next time i got it out ill do that lol

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
The ranger became a primary vehicle for my oldest son since his head gasket is leaking in his turbo Hyundai.

66k miles and leaking and if you get in the Veloster forums there are tons of turbo Veloster with leaking head gaskets. What a bummer. I told the wife that Hyundai's are off the list of cars for future ownership because of this.

But, the good ol ranger is saving the day.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Repaired the driver's side power window regulator yesterday. Saw a vid on the tube that showed how to fix it. Took me longer to get the f-ing thing back in than it did to make the repair. Here's some pics:
Inside door panel rivets crop.jpg
The dastardly rivets. Luckily I only had to drill out two of 'em. If you hit the center of the rivet just right with a punch, it pops out the backside.

Gear Drive repair.jpg

When you pull the gear drive cover and the gear drive, the small plastic discs that used to drive the the outer plastic "window-raiser-upper- gear" (that's the technical name) are in shreds. I cleaned it out and made some new ones from 1/2-inch aluminum rod that approximates the size of the old ones and tada, done. The round grey disc is for illustrative purposes, but very close to the three that I made -- one goes in each pocket of the triangle.

Operates very smooth and it was free (well, 47 cents for the hardware to replace the rivets). Just need to see how it holds up.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The ranger became a primary vehicle for my oldest son since his head gasket is leaking in his turbo Hyundai.

66k miles and leaking and if you get in the Veloster forums there are tons of turbo Veloster with leaking head gaskets. What a bummer. I told the wife that Hyundai's are off the list of cars for future ownership because of this.

But, the good ol ranger is saving the day.
It's not like ford had that same issue with 4 cyl ecoboosts..

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
finished leaving the old house, took 3 trips, last trip was just empty boxes and a bag of trash. We got a inch of snow here today, wet & heavy. Backed ranger trailer in garage. Will unload that another day.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
It's not like ford had that same issue with 4 cyl ecoboosts..
I have no idea about that but our 1.6 or whatever Ecoboost escape never had trouble, nor did our 2.0 Ecoboost escape. We only had them about 50k miles though

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I know the 2.3 Ecoboost in the Focus had some head gasket issues. I think they changed the gasket design to fix it. It also was boosted to 310 hp instead of 270 hp. So, that could have been some of the issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals