• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
View attachment 67526

Yes, here is what it looks like now. I bought an egr valve from an 04 Mustang 3.8, which has the inlet port rotated 90 degrees so the flex tube didn't have to push on the coil pack and didn't have to have that sharp bend in it, and then I supported the flex tube as you can see. It looks like in the photo that there are wiring bundles right up against the egr line, but that is not the case. It also looks like the flex line touches the blower, but that is not the case either.

I have a Snow stage 1 meth kit - its installed but I have not turned down the activation switch enough yet that it actually comes on. Its running a max of 6psi boost right now, and I plan to have the meth come on at about 4psi. I am tuning with SCT ProRacer. I did a RPCaster kit on the 03 that I had years ago, so this is mostly copying the tune adjustments that I ended up with on that truck into this one. I had that one on the dyno, but do not plan to dyno this one. So far, I am enjoying having a little more get up and go, but am taking it pretty easy until I get the details completed.
That’s pretty sweet. Let us know how you make out with that tune.

I ended up flipping my egr valve upside down, I figured vacuum still works upside down, so the flex hose doesn’t jam into the coil pack.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Page 302! My favorite page yet! Has a very nice ring to it.

Sadly I haven't even seen my Ranger today, been researching oil filter adaptors tho.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
KY.. that image is showing the bottom from a front angle. The shaft on the right slides onto the transmission output. The one on the left is where the splines of the front driveshaft slide in.
Does the transmission output go straight through, and then mount to the drive shaft? Or does it just go in, and connect with a separate shaft that comes out the back side of the transfer case?

Rangers use a married transfer case, right? And it's chain driven? (I did a little reading about transfer cases)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A manual in 4th basically goes straight thru.

A stock tcase is chain, I have a gear driven in mine tho.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A manual in 4th basically goes straight thru.

A stock tcase is chain, I have a gear driven in mine tho.
Let me clarify: By straight through, I mean that the shaft is one piece that goes from the transmission, into the front of the transfer case, then out the back of the transfer case. If it's not straight through, the transmission output shaft enters the transfer case and ends, then a second shaft exits the rear of the case.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Let me clarify: By straight through, I mean that the shaft is one piece that goes from the transmission, into the front of the transfer case, then out the back of the transfer case. If it's not straight through, the transmission output shaft enters the transfer case and ends, then a second shaft exits the rear of the case.
No... the input and output shaft on the T-case are 2 different pieces. They have to be for low range to work.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No... the input and output shaft on the T-case are 2 different pieces. They have to be for low range to work.
There we go. That's what I thought when I commented last night, but the answer made it sound like that wasn't the case.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it isn't a solid shaft but two shafts locked together... and I had my wires crossed with the trans.

Here is kind of a quick video, RBV's would use the planetary style.

SCOTTY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The lock motors in mine still work just fine, its just the wiring, mine isn't the first one I've seen with issues in the door wiring either. What year expedition did you grab the actuators off of?

It's been a good while ago. I'm thinking 1st or 2nd gen though. Not that it matters but I do remember it was back when the gov't did that C.A.R.S. (Cash For Clunkers) thing.
I also remember I had to double-up on the U bracket to get them to fit my Ranger.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Spent yesterday working out a bug on the 89. I’m using my old deleted a/c power circuit to power my light bar. Defrost was turning on my lights. Found the switch and disabled it.
5CE81DF3-D1BC-4896-87C7-327152DD391B.jpeg
E62BB045-C76A-4480-9206-C8454297901D.jpeg

One win.
Then decided to put the baffles on the rocker arm shafts on one of the 85s. Found the shaft stand are not the correct ones and won’t allow the baffles to fit.
Today I’m kicking my own arse for scrapping a ton of parts I should have kept. What was I thinking🤦🏼‍♂️? I scrapped two engines that had the shaft stands. Oh woe is me.
2D5F3B36-081A-43FC-B1E0-60B5F30BB766.jpeg
11308642-9C8E-4B30-AC32-44B07424C34D.jpeg

So now, do I grind off the excess material on the stand bases to fit or do the right thing and disassemble them and see if the shaft bore is even the right diameter? I’ve been fighting a valve tick. This could be why. Or just go spend the money for new ones. I don’t know 🤷‍♂️.
BIG lose cancels the win. &@&?%*}#. (Words of power)

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Spent yesterday working out a bug on the 89. I’m using my old deleted a/c power circuit to power my light bar. Defrost was turning on my lights. Found the switch and disabled it.
One win.
Do you push the A/C button to turn the lights on? :p That’d actually be pretty neat

I pulled the wiper arms this week and repainted them. Flat is too flat for OEM look. It’s probably supposed to be semi gloss or one notch flatter than that.

SCOTTY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Buck converter arrived over the weekend. Still waiting on the LEDs.

View attachment 67516View attachment 67517
Tested this little booger & it works great ! LEDs arrived @ PO bx this morn.

I haven't gotten around to take a VOM to the test the wire harness that's behind the phony vent. I know its for a switch for trucks with FWD but does anyone know what's
available ( 12v constant, 12v acc. , etc ) on it ?

Thanks

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Changed the oil in three trucks last night.

Fun fact 4.0ohv does not use the same oil filter as the 4.0ohc, different size thread. I had bought a case of filters assuming they were all the same. Luckly, I happened to have the exact match for the filter I pulled out sitting on a shelf in my garage, not sure where it came from, maybe the mustang.

My wife bought a '97 4.0ohv, 5spd manual, 4x4, supercab xlt w/ 175k miles a couple if weeks ago. No rust, interior is rough though. Planning on giving it to my brother once he finally gets his license. Should be a good truck for him.

Boy is that 4.0ohv a dog compared to the SOHC, needs some turbos or something.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Do you push the A/C button to turn the lights on? :p That’d actually be pretty neat

I pulled the wiper arms this week and repainted them. Flat is too flat for OEM look. It’s probably supposed to be semi gloss or one notch flatter than that.
View attachment 67603

View attachment 67603
Yes my a/c button has been repurposed. On my rig when you push the a/c button a small orange light comes on there on the climate control so it even tells when it’s on.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Tested this little booger & it works great ! LEDs arrived @ PO bx this morn.

I haven't gotten around to take a VOM to the test the wire harness that's behind the phony vent. I know its for a switch for trucks with FWD but does anyone know what's
available ( 12v constant, 12v acc. , etc ) on it ?

Thanks
That would be connector C278 in this diagram. With fuse #7 installed, you should have 12v on the red/yellow wire with key on. Ground on the black wire. The rest is pretty useless without the rest of the 4x4
system.

20211028_100000.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals