• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So the guy made a copy of the key based on the numbers on the lock cylinder, but it didn’t open the lock. So I left the lock cylinder and steering column with the parts guy, hopefully he can figure it out on Monday.
Do you have AAA? I did years ago and called them because I didn’t have an ignition key for a Bronco II years at the time. They sent out a locksmith who made a key that worked on the spot. Was pretty cool to see done.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Worked on the red Ranger today. There was a rain delay, among other things. But at any rate, the hood is back on, put the vacuum pump on the AC, got pretty much everything done under the hood, messed with the starter (apparently the 4.0 starter from my 2000 will fit, but there’s a huge gap since I used the aluminum shim plate from the 92, so I tried the baking soda/superglue trick that @Rick W mentioned on the damaged 92 Ranger solenoid), shut off the vacuum pump (just over 29 and holding), threw the battery in, and gave a crank. Well, two, but I expected that. But the ol girl fired up. Only let it run a few seconds because I don’t want to circulate too much fluid in the transmission until I can do the shift kit and change the fluid and filter since I changed the torque converter.

So now I am enjoying a cigar and beer on the front porch to celebrate a successful heart transplant on the red Ranger.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Walked by my 2001 Ranger today and spotted a puddle under it. Since it hasn't rained any meaningful amount lately, I knew something was up. I haven't driven it in over a week.. It turned out to be antifreeze. It's been so hot lately that the radiator just decided it didn't like being married to it's plastic end tanks. So a new radiator is in order...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That looks like it would be a little noisy.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So today I found this lurking View attachment 63172
Carrier bearing anyone? 😂
Mine wasn’t near that bad in my 92 and I still felt it. Good news is one piece driveshaft swap isn’t too bad. I pulled the bearing and the bracket it was attached to and left the crossmember there, fit fine.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Worked on the truck for the first time in over a month.

Got the explorer console bolted in. (Still need to paint the cupholder inserts)

PXL_20210727_002732028.jpg

PXL_20210727_002804227.jpg

Used foam to fill the gap between the console and floor which is "eh" but works until I find a better solution.

PXL_20210727_002752391.jpg

Also wired in 2 new cameras front and rear. Front has GPS.

PXL_20210727_002816339.jpg

PXL_20210727_002821683.jpg

Also put a new rear view mirror on since the old one was flaking apart... My god what a hassle that was. What happened to them just using a set screw? These ones need to be pried up then beat with a hammer!!

Interior is disgusting but it'll get a full bath and detail job once I'm done.

Ordered blue floor mats and a blue steering wheel cover to complete the blue accent look. Debating on painting the radio bezel blue we well...

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Bit the bullet and ordered a ton of parts to mod the A4LD in the 92…. Depending on how it goes I may mod other transmissions here. Ended up being more expensive than I originally anticipated, but…. F it, only live once.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Bit the bullet and ordered a ton of parts to mod the A4LD in the 92…. Depending on how it goes I may mod other transmissions here. Ended up being more expensive than I originally anticipated, but…. F it, only live once.
Just curious did you find a bonded separator plate gasket for the A4LD or just the 2 paper gaskets in the shift kit?

If you got the paper gaskets, use petroleum jelly to hold them together and torque the plate down with upmost precision. And then torque the valve body back onto the trans equally as careful. Follow the torque sequences EXACTLY.

There is special goo for holding gaskets and lubing parts but every old trans builder I talked to says pure petroleum jelly works just as good and won't harm the ATF.

The bonded plate is the bees knees but dunno if they are available for the A4LD. Ford actually put a TSB out because the paper gaskets kept blowing out.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Went to make the mirror mounts.....then lil bob decided we were building a custom desk for his PC stuff......

Seems he figures he will just smash the mirrors off anyway....

Then it tornader rained and drowned our asses on the way back from the cruise.....the flooding was not an issue in the ranger

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Just curious did you find a bonded separator plate gasket for the A4LD or just the 2 paper gaskets in the shift kit?

If you got the paper gaskets, use petroleum jelly to hold them together and torque the plate down with upmost precision. And then torque the valve body back onto the trans equally as careful. Follow the torque sequences EXACTLY.

There is special goo for holding gaskets and lubing parts but every old trans builder I talked to says pure petroleum jelly works just as good and won't harm the ATF.

The bonded plate is the bees knees but dunno if they are available for the A4LD. Ford actually put a TSB out because the paper gaskets kept blowing out.
No idea, the shift kit supposedly does not include gaskets so I bought the recommended gasket set, but it was late and I just wanted done. Have to call the company today because I didn’t get the free shipping or discount and now I’m not sure if I need anything else. Figure I’ll try to find a chance at work to give them a ring and see what they have to say. Good to know on that though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals