• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Took the ranger on a rainy evening drive through the western Maine mountains and the white mountains of NH to Bethlehem to buy a gem of a hood for the squarebody chev. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the little baby Jesus while we were there. Took a different route home, and drove through Gilead.. didn't see any handmaids.. somewhat disappointed. At least the hood is super nice.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I swapped to a smaller supercharger pulley yesterday, small change, doubled the boost.
I did this too but only went from about 2 psi to maybe 3.5 at WOT. I went from the 3.5 psi pulley to the 5.5 psi pulley.

Approximately 70 miles later it required a trailer to get it back home. LOL. I was pulling out in traffic and at about 4500 RPM in 2nd gear it just shut down. Didn't really hear any bangs or crunches, it just shut down.

Not sure yet exactly what happened. SC shaft broke? Jumped time? Broken chain? Don't know. Maybe I'll look at it a little closer tomorrow. thre fact that I wasn't seeing full boost had me hoping it's something to do with the SC and not internal to the engine I so meticulously built. Oh well, it is what it is.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I ran those seats for a while in the '90, probably should have kept them...

Driving home from work today the turn signal bulb in the cluster started working! I like it when things fix themselves... It's interesting having a tach in that thing, realizing that it's a gutless dog in first between 1-2k when it's hot out (fan clutch being engaged probably isn't helping) doesn't really change much since you have to start in first unless a rolling start, which is odd that a rolling start in second works but sometimes it's gutless in first? Whatever, it's just a hooptie...

Stupid question, but this thing is technically a "sport" being a no frills cloth 60/40 seat/vinyl door panel (passenger side at least, the factory door), AM/FM, 4 cylinder manual extended cab 5 speed no A/C. So far I've added a cassette stereo, tach cluster, have the wing windows for the rear sides and a slider for the back. What else would push it to a different trim class?

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought a new lug wrench, spare tire crank tool to replace the one that didn't come with the truck when I bought it used from the dealer.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Stupid question, but this thing is technically a "sport" being a no frills cloth 60/40 seat/vinyl door panel (passenger side at least, the factory door), AM/FM, 4 cylinder manual extended cab 5 speed no A/C. So far I've added a cassette stereo, tach cluster, have the wing windows for the rear sides and a slider for the back. What else would push it to a different trim class?
Carpeting and accent trim.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It has carpet now, I WISH it had a rubber floor...

What trim? There's not much in the way of trim that I've seen different on stuff other than the cloth or vinyl inserts on the door panels (have one of each to keep it interesting). About everything I've seen in junkyards aside from Explorer limited's that have the fake wood grain have been the normal black plastic... I guess it doesn't matter, I've seen like 5 different seats, almost everything has grey interior, haven't seen any extended cabs with anything but carpet... I'll just keep doing like I've done with the '90 and add the random options that I think I might like :). It was a fleet model and now has bucket seats, tach, etc...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
washed mine for the first time in a long while, took it grocery shopping too, she was off with the escape and normally Id take the hhr for a grocery trip but the truck needed gas anyhow and rather then make a 2nd trip in to town I just took the ranger, theres a car wash across from meijers so I sprayed it down, front was very buggy and rest was quite dusty. It rode a lot better on the way home since part of the shopping trip included 5-40 pound bags of softner salt.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Finally got the motor yanked from the red Ranger. Gave it a bit of a look over and not sure what happened. Both sides and the back of the block are soaked in oil, almost like it fountained oil. No obvious cracks or holes in anything. It was running out of somewhere because it left a trail of oil.

Started work on cleaning up a few things in the engine bay, pulled the starter harness and rebuilt it with welding cable to replace the battery wire, and made a parts run. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the work in the engine bay and get the replacement dropped in.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Mine took me exploring with a buddy after work today. Explored a road that we've been down in the past after a storm and was washed out. Was in way better shape this time. Made it super easy but still fun.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

What trim? There's not much in the way of trim that I've seen different on stuff other than the cloth or vinyl inserts on the door panels (have one of each to keep it interesting). About everything I've seen in junkyards aside from Explorer limited's that have the fake wood grain have been the normal black plastic... I guess it doesn't matter, I've seen like 5 different seats, almost everything has grey interior, haven't seen any extended cabs with anything but carpet... I'll just keep doing like I've done with the '90 and add the random options that I think I might like :). It was a fleet model and now has bucket seats, tach, etc...
The carpeting was the big one. As for the trim, I was over thinking it and got it confused with the high end Explorers and F-150s.

What about a chrome grille? Do you have that?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It has the chrome strip at top that is of course broken in the middle :)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
There are no dumb questions. Only silly inquisitors.

Flex seal the carpet.

What else would push it to a different trim class?
New owner/neighborhood?

Just trying to be helpful.

I’m jealous. Did they make the flip out windows for a 97 extended cab?

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Used the Ranger to launch my boat for the first time for crabbing. The backup camera really came in handy for hitching up but not that helpful for backing up a trailer. The Rangers' shorter wheelbase compared to my E350 took some getting used to but visibility is great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals