• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Does that gizmo work on a degas system?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yep, that's what I used it for, was slick. Seeing some of the GM ones I'm sure it would work on them too, test fit it on one of the marine heat exchangers at work today and it fit, the rubber baby buggy bumper deal covers up the overflow port, I didn't try putting a vacuum on to see if it would work but it should...

Rick, appreciate the tip and I might use it it some point, but since you have a 7.3L like mine I don't know if you've had that problem YET, my chassis has at least 360k miles on it so it is "experienced". Turns out the bracket for the expansion bottle and washer fluid reservoir bends down over time and the washer pump bump rubs on the inner fender wearing down the HDPE or whatever the tank is made out of on the fiberglass inner fender lining. While I had the coolant tank off and the washer fluid bottle off I bent the bracket up and put a 8" (thereabouts, found a scrap and cut it to a random length) long 1x6 board under the washer fluid part so it can't bend down again... At this point the silicone won't be resting on anything, but aside from that I'll put the new one in instead of the bandaided one...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yep, that's what I used it for, was slick. Seeing some of the GM ones I'm sure it would work on them too, test fit it on one of the marine heat exchangers at work today and it fit, the rubber baby buggy bumper deal covers up the overflow port, I didn't try putting a vacuum on to see if it would work but it should...

Rick, appreciate the tip and I might use it it some point, but since you have a 7.3L like mine I don't know if you've had that problem YET, my chassis has at least 360k miles on it so it is "experienced". Turns out the bracket for the expansion bottle and washer fluid reservoir bends down over time and the washer pump bump rubs on the inner fender wearing down the HDPE or whatever the tank is made out of on the fiberglass inner fender lining. While I had the coolant tank off and the washer fluid bottle off I bent the bracket up and put a 8" (thereabouts, found a scrap and cut it to a random length) long 1x6 board under the washer fluid part so it can't bend down again... At this point the silicone won't be resting on anything, but aside from that I'll put the new one in instead of the bandaided one...
I keep a small pair of hose pinch off pliers in the kit with my AirLift for the overflow hose.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That was plan B :), figured worst case it would be that simple.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
gathered up some spare metal and commenced to drillin' cuttin' & bending.

@racsan that piece of red steel should look familiar.

View attachment 61429

View attachment 61430
yes, glad you found a use for it, that was originally part of a cultiimulcher frame, more of it was used on my ranger to reinforce the rear frame.
Is that the 3.45 / 7.5 I sent with you too? If youre going to use it the right shaft bearing surface doesnt look very good, might be a good place for a speedi-sleeve. I know youre aware of the seal leak on the right side, dont think I remembered to tell you about that axle shaft.

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
@scotts90ranger

Thanks, I’ll check mine, but I think I told you guys, my F250 is a “Dunwoody truck.” It occasionally carries antiques and pulls the jet skis to the lake. Rarely gets a workout like you guys put ‘em through.

& Ha, having said that, I’m going to pick up a torn down deck tomorrow for the wood. Some pretty good treated 4x4s, and a lot of 2xs and deck boards. Now that the city is finishing up the road work, I’m going to rip up the little stuff to make about 40-50ft of short picket fence, and use the 4x4s to make an overhang over the p-door to my garage, and another over the steps to my back door. I’ll clean up what I don’t use and sell it and retire again!

& once you try the superglue/baking soda trick, you’re going to wonder how you lived without it!!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
yes, glad you found a use for it, that was originally part of a cultiimulcher frame, more of it was used on my ranger to reinforce the rear frame.
Is that the 3.45 / 7.5 I sent with you too? If youre going to use it the right shaft bearing surface doesnt look very good, might be a good place for a speedi-sleeve. I know youre aware of the seal leak on the right side, dont think I remembered to tell you about that axle shaft.
getting those bolts out was a challenge. had to resort to 3/4 drive tools then grind some welds.
that's an 8.8 I bought from a yard quite a few years ago.

taking the scenic route back from Dublin we drove past your place on 203 Sunday, surrounding fields had lots of flooding.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Still a lot of water, on 95 near 203 its over the road, found that out by surprise yesterday morning on the way to work, saw it just in time to slow down some. Pressure washed the underside!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
@scotts90ranger

Thanks, I’ll check mine, but I think I told you guys, my F250 is a “Dunwoody truck.” It occasionally carries antiques and pulls the jet skis to the lake. Rarely gets a workout like you guys put ‘em through.

& Ha, having said that, I’m going to pick up a torn down deck tomorrow for the wood. Some pretty good treated 4x4s, and a lot of 2xs and deck boards. Now that the city is finishing up the road work, I’m going to rip up the little stuff to make about 40-50ft of short picket fence, and use the 4x4s to make an overhang over the p-door to my garage, and another over the steps to my back door. I’ll clean up what I don’t use and sell it and retire again!

& once you try the superglue/baking soda trick, you’re going to wonder how you lived without it!!
My original was warn REALLY bad, somewhere around 2013 I put two layers of oil jug plastic and some ultra copper or somesort to hold that on which worked for a few years, I didn't look into the original cause until yesterday and found the bracket bent down when I went to bend it back up :), coolant bottle had to be removed to bend it up... I don't think it's just abuse (this thing has seen a lot, was apparently a construction foreman's truck, looking at Bobby Walters I can see where that could happen...), I think it's the vibration of the diesel. I think I've put maybe 30k miles on it in 8 years...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I got my AOR bumper brackets and braces on the UPS truck today. With this move going on I'm hoping I can find some time this weekend to get them installed. My new garage is gonna be packed for a minute until we get situated... not to mention my wife is way to organized to let me work on my truck while she sets up the new house. I would have to clear a spot to sleep out there too.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
@Uncle Grump

Hey, don’t let her get the upper hand. If she tries to run the show, practice this and say it with confidence:

“Yes, Dear”

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Clay barred and waxed it. Readyish for the Florida summer.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I bought a clay bar kit once. I got about 1/4 of my truck done before throwing the whole kit in the trash, getting drunk and never speaking of it again...

No shiney paint is worth that much work...

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals