• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Scraped the snow and ice off the 2011. Welcome to PA and second winter.

I’ll start gathering supplies for the biannual oil changes and preventative maintenance this weekend.
The snow missed us... but it sure has been cold. It was 20 when I got up.

I hear my rear brakes squeaking on the backing plates... and the inspection last spring said I had another year on them. So I'm going to get the drums off and order some parts and do my spring maintenance and get busy on the rest of my list.

I really forgot how much work a new puppy is... been over 20 years since I had a pup. This little guy runs at constant WOT for about 30 minutes straight. Then completely shuts down for an hour. Hard to get to involved in truck stuff... he gets most of my attention until he gets house broken and learns the basics.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
thanks for the reminder

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Changing oil, fixing coolant leaks, change wiper switch, then maybe go for a cruise or yard work. Right now I'm waiting on my better half to bring me some lunch. GOOD FRIDAY! And I'm getting holiday pay today.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
@2drxploder & all

First, sorry for venting and gloating here. I’ll try to give short version, bullets

Dunwoody is a pretty upscale suburb of atlanta. Almost 100% very nice single family homes with a world class commercial district, mall, high rise office adjacent Atlanta’s beltway. Atlanta is pretty liberal city. Dunwoody and Georgia, not so much. We were part of unincorporated Dekalb County. Dunwoody pays a LOT of taxes (a LOT) & we couldn’t get any county Services.

After 40 years trying, we were able to form our own city (and keep our taxes), liberals went ballistic. We formed city for 3 reasons: (1) better police: Dekalb cops (all cops) are great, but they were chasing serious crimes on south side & we could never get one for 2-3 hours when our cars got stolen and our homes broken into. Formed a great Police Department, out of the park home run, zero crime.

2&3 were to stop the rapid development of zillions of apartments and millions of more square feet high rise office. Might be good for Atlanta, but was ruining our upscale neighborhood. There was also a little community college, with 1000 students, that was great for the community, but then they increased it to 14,000 students to keep the river of cash from the student loans growing. We formed the city to keep the college (and the college traffic) small, And to slow down or stop the high density development.

I was very involved. A lot of people say that, but I built the soapbox derby car that looked like the Dunwoody Police car and the mayor’s daughter was my driver. My kids are grown. I did it to help integrate the police department into the community a year after we formed the city.

what became instantly obvious was that a bunch of high-level rich beyond belief developers were behind forming the city, not to slow down the development, but to ENSURE it!

With all modesty, I have always been the community leader in my part of this area. I was active and vocal when we formed a city, and I was equally if not more so vocal and active when the corrupt leaders went in the opposite direction of why we formed a city.

when we spoke up at the constitutional public hearings on various projects, they did not listen to the public, they changed how the public hearings were conducted so nobody could speak in front of their neighbors. I lead a march on the capital and we had that reversed, but it had no effect on their plans. The city was formed in 2008, and what I’ve told you brings us up to about 2012.

Between 2012 and 2014 three big things happened. They decided that my road, a quiet two lane neighborhood street in a bedroom community where our kids go to school and we go to church with no commercial traffic, all of the sudden was a major thoroughfare, That had to be widened to four lanes with a turn lane in the middle. The only reason they would have to widen our road is because the high density and high-rise construction by the mall had constant zoning problems because there wasn’t enough ingress and egress. So they picked my road and one other road to turn into State Highways so a handful of people could get rich and the politicians could bump their chests on top of tall buildings.

You guys are probably figure it out I’m not so shy. I’m the ringleader fighting it all. You can never fight it in the courts because you’ll never have enough money. You have to fight it in the press, in the media, and on TV. You have to fight it from the church pulpit. And you have to fight it during elections, not by making it an issue, by targeting the rotten politicians and getting them voted out or defeated.

When the original plans came out to build “neighborhood scale intersection improvements” as an engineer who’s done the stuff for 50 years, I contacted all my neighbors and the media etc. and pointed out it’s highway construction, and I got it scaled back pretty good but not defeated. The next election we targeted a state Congress been a state senator and national Congressman, and we got them all defeated. After being involved with this for 20 years, that’s when they kind of noticed me.

in 2013, my house was it a transition point between phases of the project, and they took my house out of the project, but continued to work on the property as if it was part of the project, and more importantly, as if they had an easement to do so. Let me digress and say we had already defeated the five lane, now it was a two lane with bike lanes and sidewalks, so if an ambulance had to get through, it could.

They were chomping at the bit for me to sue them for the sole purpose of me getting a lawyer involved so they could run my legal bill out of sight without addressing any of the issues. It’s a politics 101 thing.

I not only got it in the local newspaper, it’s been all over Atlanta news for 6-7 years, and we’ve defeated four other very prominent very long-term politicians.

I mentioned three things a little while ago. The first thing was they moved ahead with the project, but the second and third thing were I went through a very bad divorce, and I stepped in a little hole in my front yard and absolutely destroyed my leg from my butt down to my toes: torn tendons, broken cartilage, torn muscles, devastation. I was on crutches for over a year, and I am still going through physical therapy today, seven years later.

from the divorce and from my injuries, I couldn’t keep up with my own stuff no less fighting the town, so the project marched on. In the middle, I tore the other knee, probably because I was walking on the first leg funny, and then from a forced sedentary lifestyle, I got a blood disorder like diabetes but not exactly. My career had been international before all this, so when I got injured and sick, I could no longer travel and my career came to a brick wall stop short.

as regards the local matter, I guess you could call that “pro,” because I was home most of the time. I have all kinds of video of them trespassing and destroying my property, etc.

I’m trying to keep this short, so let me say working without any easement and without any permission, during the construction on the road in the utilities, they did about $250,000 of damage to my property and my house. If you add in what an easement would cost at the minimum levels, but for the nine year duration, it’s also about $250,000. If you throw interest on top of that like you would put in an insurance claim, you go over $600,000. That doesn’t include the fact that I’m a handicapped senior!

And, now they’re moving on with the next phase of the project. The plans they had, which they have never served on me as required by law, and continuing to operate without any easement or permission, takes about a third of my front yard and creates a slope across the next third of my yard that I can get out easily with my F250 or maybe one of the Rangers, but my mark five would bottom out on the sidewalk.

They were smart enough not to start this phase of the work without getting the required easement, so they tried to negotiate with me, got all the way up to $30,000 and no home repairs, and they had to finally do a condemnation action which is a civil lawsuit.

Now I’m not a lawyer, but I have been doing all this exact work for 50 years from Little homes to the second tallest building in the world. I know the rules, I know The laws, I know the players, etc. As big and fancy as Dunwoody is, they have a gladhanding good old boy for a city attorney. I graduated an ivy league and I have worked with the mayors and governors etc. on all this stuff for years. So when this moron started chasing me, I just played his own game back at him, and frankly I have bitch slapped him around the city the county and the state for about five years now. Now, although I know all the bigwigs, I’m on the wrong side of the equation in this one, they are all lockstep with the developers who want this to happen.

The city attorney is such an idiot, he can’t even mail a letter to the correct address twice in a row. That is not an exaggeration. He has made so many mistakes in the law, that I’ve already had his thing thrown out twice, I got all my county judges to recuse themselves because they were in fear of the corruption, it went to another court, and I quickly proved that the judges were talking to each other so we got thrown out of that court.

Right now we’re in the third cord, I have a 1,400 page set of motions pending, most of which are regarding fraudulent documents and bad applications of the law. Things like “this must be done in 10 days” and we are two years later and now they want to proceed. Can’t do that, they have to start over.

I can go on for pages, but you get the idea. They have upped their offer three times in five months, and I am on the verge of having it shut down again, and it is also an election year. Our mayor, our congressmen and our senator and our national congressman and senator want to stay in office. One way or the other this is going to be over by the end of the summer.

Sorry, that is the VERY short version!!

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
So let me shift gears. It feels like I’ve got a little slack in the drive train of my F250. It’s not real bad, but it’s more play than I think should be there. It’s somewhere between the transmission, transfer case and the rear axle, I haven’t used four-wheel-drive in a few years since I was sick and had these legal problems. When I was cleaning the gas tanks, and I had it jacked up, the U joints looked good, and there didn’t seem to be play between the two rear wheels when I rocked them back-and-forth, and I couldn’t isolate what might be worn causing the slack spot. I know I can probably figure it out, but I also know a lot of you guys are experts at these things, and probably know some tricks. Could somebody tell me a one, two, three step etc. procedure to start at point A and track it down.

1996 F250HD, 4wd, two door extended cab, long bed, 7.3 turbo diesel. 120,000 miles, I bought it new, and it has really been pampered. You guys think of it is a pretty good work truck, but it’s actually a Dunwoody truck: it occasionally carries antiques and pulls the JetSki‘s to the lake...

All help appreciated. I’m afraid something is going to break eventually, obviously would be more expensive to tackle, and now I have a couple of rangers for all my chores 😜

EDIT: auto tranny, rebuilt with maybe 20,000 miles

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Put in a new brake light switch (the one that connects to the pedal). Had cleaned the old one but didn't seems to work all the time. Bought the expensive one (fomoco) from RockAuto. $23.65

10 minute install and working fine.

Drove the truck to Lowes and picked up 10 bales of pine straw. Yea more yard work.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
definitely a lenghty read, but im impressed, seems like it would consume a lot of your time!

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Yes, quite a lot. But it’s also very very personal, and it’s amazing how we can make time for that. I think I mentioned somewhere else I retired twice and it just didn’t stick. I worked hard and I’m fortunate that I have a couple of dollars tucked away, and my third career in commercial real estate left me a lot of flexibility. But it really comes down to one thing, and that’s to do the right thing.

My little old lady handicapped neighbor was forced out of her home when the construction backed up sewage in her home. A little old lady next to that was also forced out of the home, and both of those homes are vacant now. The guy next to them was sickly, but everybody knows he’d be around forever, and he died about six months after they tore up his whole property. They killed him. The guy in the corner was in bed with them and let them tear down his house, and then use his property as a construction equipment staging yard for six years, illegally . A couple doors down, there was a beautiful young lady in a wheelchair. Her mom bought that house and redid that house for her needs, and these guys forced her out claiming they were building in ADA sidewalk, which is really the ruse for hiding that it’s supposed to be for tractor trailers.

In the age of instant communication, all the scummy players and politicians have learned from each other how to cheat the public for profit or for power. There’s only one thing they can’t overcome, someone who’s willing to look them in the eye and say enough is enough. Not that I’m some hero and I am without sin, but we also have a family tradition that goes back about 500 years for taking care of our people, taking care of people who can’t take care of themselves. I’ve been bloodied in this thing, but it’s nothing compared to what they’ve done to my neighbors.

And, we have won most of the battles. I can’t even imagine how well we would have done if I wasn’t crippled and bedridden for several years in the middle.

My family is Polish Christian from Poland. Everybody has heard of the holocaust where 6 million Jews were killed by the Nazis. That is tragic, and I don’t mean to take away from that in any way shape or form. But the Russians killed the Polish leadership, all the college professors, etc., including my family, at Katyn, and actually killed about 12 million in total. Mao Tse Tung killed 40 million in China. Anybody who thinks that can’t happen in the United States needs to study history, and not the crap they’re teaching in public schools now, they need to take a hard look at the 2020 election and what happened with ballot stuffing and the complicit government failing to investigate, The barricades around the capital, and what’s happening in Congress right now where they are printing money to give to them selves and their friends, and tearing down the law enforcement branches of government and the military.

I weep for my children, and those younger than me. I have not seen the worst of this, they will.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So let me shift gears. It feels like I’ve got a little slack in the drive train of my F250. It’s not real bad, but it’s more play than I think should be there. It’s somewhere between the transmission, transfer case and the rear axle, I haven’t used four-wheel-drive in a few years since I was sick and had these legal problems. When I was cleaning the gas tanks, and I had a jacked up, do you joints looked good, and there didn’t seem to be play between the two rear wheels when I watch them back-and-forth, and I couldn’t isolate what might be worn causing the slack spot. I know I can probably figure it out, but I also know a lot of you guys are experts at these things, and probably know some tricks. Could somebody tell me a one, two, three step etc. procedure to started point A And track it down.

1996 F250HD, 4wd, two door extended cab, long bed, 7.3 turbo diesel. 120,000 miles, I bought it new, and it has really been pampered. You guys think of it is a pretty good work truck, but it’s actually a Dunwoody truck: it occasionally carries antiques and pulls the JetSki‘s to the lake...

i’ll help appreciated. I’m afraid something is going to break eventually, obviously would be more expensive to tackle, and now I have a couple of rangers for all my chores 😜
Don’t suppose you would be willing to leave me that truck in your will? :icon_rofl:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So weird continuation of my red Ranger with a vibration issue... after my adventure yesterday morning I decided to lock the hubs in before leaving this morning just in case and... no vibration. None. No weird noise. Did not put it in 4x4, just had the hubs locked. Unlocked them after work and got a vibration. None of this makes sense to me.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Don’t suppose you would be willing to leave me that truck in your will?
Number one son has dibs. Daughter lives in an apartment smaller than the F250 in NYC, but her vet husband is now interested in the Missing Linc if they can afford the parking.

But as I get older and grayer, that F250 will be the last I drive. I already have the little stool on a string to get in and out (Redhead thinks I got it for her 😉).

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
So weird continuation of my red Ranger with a vibration issue
Im still thinking you may have a splash of water in a tire. Rubber isn’t waterproof contrary to popular belief. If you have water in your tire, it will settle on the bottom. But when you start driving and the tire heats up, the water will be driven off that one spot. Hence, vibration when you start out, that goes away after you drive a little while.

Why don’t you try moving the tires around one by one and see if the vibration changes or moves with a tire. Cheap way to prove me wrong, which a lot of people want to do!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals