• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I went to paint the inside of my OFR bumper this morning, realized that the vertical gusset that is used for mounting is not welded to the face of the bumper, just the top and bottom.

That is where I planned on centering my eye hooks when I weld them on. So I decided to weld the face to the gusset, figured this would keep the bumper fro. Getting too screwed up when I need to actually use it as a recovery point.

Painting the inside now, then I will have to repaint the front because the heat made the paint peel off.

Hoping to get it mounted up tomorrow.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I went to paint the inside of my OFR bumper this morning, realized that the vertical gusset that is used for mounting is not welded to the face of the bumper, just the top and bottom.

That is where I planned on centering my eye hooks when I weld them on. So I decided to weld the face to the gusset, figured this would keep the bumper fro. Getting too screwed up when I need to actually use it as a recovery point.

Painting the inside now, then I will have to repaint the front because the heat made the paint peel off.

Hoping to get it mounted up tomorrow.
This is the back bumper, correct?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Got a new tire. Had to get one a month ago because I cut a sidewall. Another tire had a leak and it was a more worn one so I replaced it and have a matched set of new ones on the front now.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is the back bumper, correct?
Yup. Doesn’t look too bad if I’m not staring directly at the spot with the buggered up paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It kinda surprises me they didn't finish the welds on that bumper. Everything I got from them has been first rate stuff.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Well it wasnt to my ranger, but for the old ranger. I picked up the intake gasket set, and got the intake pulled in the 93 exp. I bought to 4.0 swap my ranger, plenum gaskets were obviously shot, however manifold bolts were nice and tight, pulled it anyway cuz i was there and bought the gasket might as well do it. Upon inspection is was fairly degraded, but im not sure the lower intake was leaking, glad i planned to do it anyway though.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I picked up 3 excellent 15” deer hoof wheels and 4 hubs & a 15” spare on a bullet hole steelie for $50. Spare was good and 2 tires were decent RWL 235/75-15s. Don’t need them but couldn’t resist at that price. ADD ‘em to the junk pile.

It almost hit 60 today, so I pulled the 87 4wd axle & changed the bearing and seal. I’d never done that before. I watched the video 3 times and was a nervous Nellie. It took 15 minutes! Refilled it and checked the T-case (was over filled) and front diff (took a pint). The rear gears all looked like new, no visible wear, Odom says 312,000. I had a little fun with the rear cover (gasket and RTV), so I don’t have to decode the little tag next time.

B51BBEF4-CE08-4E0C-BB9C-0D476E5EB027.jpeg

I also put on the pullapart spare tire hanger. Had to modify the tail pipe an inch with a 24” pipe wrench, but it all fit great.

8AA71249-4052-4C42-8EDD-E492391991AF.jpeg

Then I tackled the PAP receiver. Man, I’m too fat and old for this crap, but I love it. I did an old trick where you pull the bumper bolts one by one, and put a loose zip tie through the holes so you never actually drop the bumper much. Then you put the receiver up and replace the zip ties through the receiver one by one, so both are hanging close. Then I pull it up with 1/4-20 bolt in one hole so I can put the real bolt in the other. I screwed up and forgot to get longer bolts but I still have it together. I’ll swap bolts tomorrow & I still have to drill and bolt the 3rd hole on each side.

8A64DAC2-5D03-4840-8804-A37AA57A9D8B.jpeg

0DEAB6EB-0993-4697-860D-5D61BE008278.jpeg

(14” bullet hole trailer tongue jack in the background).

Tomorrow I hope to finish swapping the corroded brake lines, put the new radiator in and put the wheels and tires back on and actually DRIVE the stupid thing!!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I picked up 3 excellent 15” deer hoof wheels and 4 hubs & a 15” spare on a bullet hole steelie for $50. Spare was good and 2 tires were decent RWL 235/75-15s. Don’t need them but couldn’t resist at that price. ADD ‘em to the junk pile.

It almost hit 60 today, so I pulled the 87 4wd axle & changed the bearing and seal. I’d never done that before. I watched the video 3 times and was a nervous Nellie. It took 15 minutes! Refilled it and checked the T-case (was over filled) and front diff (took a pint). The rear gears all looked like new, no visible wear, Odom says 312,000. I had a little fun with the rear cover (gasket and RTV), so I don’t have to decode the little tag next time.

View attachment 54642

I also put on the pullapart spare tire hanger. Had to modify the tail pipe an inch with a 24” pipe wrench, but it all fit great.

View attachment 54643

Then I tackled the PAP receiver. Man, I’m too fat and old for this crap, but I love it. I did an old trick where you pull the bumper bolts one by one, and put a loose zip tie through the holes so you never actually drop the bumper much. Then you put the receiver up and replace the zip ties through the receiver one by one, so both are hanging close. Then I pull it up with 1/4-20 bolt in one hole so I can put the real bolt in the other. I screwed up and forgot to get longer bolts but I still have it together. I’ll swap bolts tomorrow & I still have to drill and bolt the 3rd hole on each side.

View attachment 54655
View attachment 54656

(14” bullet hole trailer tongue jack in the background).

Tomorrow I hope to finish swapping the corroded brake lines, put the new radiator in and put the wheels and tires back on and actually DRIVE the stupid thing!!!
Hey if you don't mind me asking, what type of rear axle is that and what's the gear ratio?

Last edited:

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
STOP cracking me up, the pastor is giving me dirty looks, and sound really travels in church....

-Jazzer

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Friday I patched the frame in the 92 and made a failed attempt at replacing a bad front u-joint. One of the spindle nuts just spun on the stud. This afternoon I plan on trying again. Going to try splitting the nut off and hopefully the threads on the stud at worse will just need a tap run over them. If not, I managed to salvage a couple studs off an unused axle. Tried to buy new studs but I can’t find any for our trucks, only F-150 and larger, which are 3/8” fine thread supposedly and RBVs apparently are M10-1.25

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Picked up a computer from a 94, 3.0, auto, 2 wd (same as mine). Guy is doing a V8 swap and couldn't use any of the old wiring.

I have the problem where the computer doesn't see the fuel pump. Truck is currently running great with a switch under the dash that turns the fuel pump on and off. Would really like the fix the problem. If you forget to shut off the pump the battery runs down very quickly.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Well i used her to make a dump run, than spent several hours cleaning up the 4.0 intake parts. Ohmd out the injectors 4 at 19 ohms and 2 at 18 ohms. I bench tested and they all click, i still need to make an adaptor to test fire them with carb cleaner. Should i be ok with the difference in resistance, should i use them on paird cylinders, or should it not make a difference. Than the most important part should i paint lol.
20210124_181711.jpg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I finished up the bumper, trailer hitch and spare carrier except wiring. Bumper is low on one side a hair, I’ll shim it. I finished replacing the brake lines on the 87 4WD, easier than I thought it would be. I bled it all successfully with a HF vacuum bleeder, worked great, and then I goofed and stepped on the brakes for a feel before I put the rear drums on. Popped open the cylinder on the R rear, & then couldn’t get that bled when I got it back together. I think it’s called “snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory!” Redhead will step on the brakes for me, but I’ll hear about it for a week or two...

I also broke out my poor mans’ steam jenni (bug sprayer full of hot water, degreaser and ammonia) and cleaned up the hub that had the bad seal. Baby steps, only radiator and putting the wheels on for a ride. Someday.

What I really need from y’all wiser than me is more info on the Ford/Ranger/Lincoln ESP thing. Is it still ESP when it’s cars/trucks? I’m also concerned it’s malevolent!! 😈👹👿🙅🏼🙅‍♂️

Let me explain. I’m fooling around with these old Rangers now, but I generally keep my cars in original pristine condition. But now with the Rangers, every time I fix something on one, something dies on another. I.e. I almost have the 87 4WD going, & the starter on the F250 died. When I fixed the 97 2wd, my 87 Towncar HVAC got a mind of its own. What gives??!?!? Which TRS thread has the exorcism procedures? 🙏🏻⛪🙏🏻 Couldn’t find it on youtube.

(do do do do, do do do do*

*twilight zone theme)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I finished up the bumper, trailer hitch and spare carrier except wiring. Bumper is low on one side a hair, I’ll shim it. I finished replacing the brake lines on the 87 4WD, easier than I thought it would be. I bled it all successfully with a HF vacuum bleeder, worked great, and then I goofed and stepped on the brakes for a feel before I put the rear drums on. Popped open the cylinder on the R rear, & then couldn’t get that bled when I got it back together. I think it’s called “snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory!” Redhead will step on the brakes for me, but I’ll hear about it for a week or two...

I also broke out my poor mans’ steam jenni (bug sprayer full of hot water, degreaser and ammonia) and cleaned up the hub that had the bad seal. Baby steps, only radiator and putting the wheels on for a ride. Someday.

What I really need from y’all wiser than me is more info on the Ford/Ranger/Lincoln ESP thing. Is it still ESP when it’s cars/trucks? I’m also concerned it’s malevolent!! 😈👹👿🙅🏼🙅‍♂️

Let me explain. I’m fooling around with these old Rangers now, but I generally keep my cars in original pristine condition. But now with the Rangers, every time I fix something on one, something dies on another. I.e. I almost have the 87 4WD going, & the starter on the F250 died. When I fixed the 97 2wd, my 87 Towncar HVAC got a mind of its own. What gives??!?!? Which TRS thread has the exorcism procedures? 🙏🏻⛪🙏🏻 Couldn’t find it on youtube.

*twilight zone theme)
I sounds to me like Murphy and his law lives at your house. He likes to come by for a visit from time to time here but not on a regular basis. It seems that OCD preventative maintenance tends to help keep him away but that isn't a full proof plan.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo

*twilight zone theme)
Tell me about it. first i get hit in my truck, now the explorer is making noise in the passenger front axle, with a decent shudder, at highway speed. I guess rhe universe likes to keep me busy. Lucky the ranger is still reliable, and i do have the hodont its nice and zippy but not my cup of tea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals