• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Well, if you don't tow that load in O/D, you're going back on your premise that torque is more important than HP. :ROFLMAO:

But, seriously, I would think a good running 2.9, 5 speed should handle that load fine in O/D at +55 mph, depending on the rear gear. I don't think it's hurting the trans at that speed.
I didnt think it would. Its just nice to have a few people back up your thinking ya know?

I got a 3.45 rear in it. Like i said it felt nice and strong at 55-60 even up a few small hills. But i dont wanna burn up a trans if i dont have too lol.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Oddly enough, I've got a 14' trailer similar to yours that is a bear to tow with the back gate on. Sticks up about 5'. I can tell it's back there on my 6.7 because it catches so much wind. On the Ranger, 4.0 SOHC, auto, 4.10 gears, it will pull down to fourth while going up a hill with an empty trailer. It's ridiculous how bad that trailer pulls with the gate on. Take it off and you never know it's there.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Oddly enough, I've got a 14' trailer similar to yours that is a bear to tow with the back gate on. Sticks up about 5'. I can tell it's back there on my 6.7 because it catches so much wind. On the Ranger, 4.0 SOHC, auto, 4.10 gears, it will pull down to fourth while going up a hill with an empty trailer. It's ridiculous how bad that trailer pulls with the gate on. Take it off and you never know it's there.
This ones never had a gate since ive owned it. Its got a place for one, i need to redo it soon i was thinkin bout puttin one on it maybe i wont lol.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, stuff sticking up in the back of a trailer is like a parachute... I have a 18' deck over trailer with heavy duty ramps 6' long that stand straight up, empty the trailer has as much load or more to tow as with a car on it... If I don't need the ramps I take them off which isn't the most fun since they weigh over 100lb each...

This ZF5 has over 350k on the clock, maybe I shouldn't talk or think about it too much... at least I'm not putting serious horsepower to the thing... I think that engine was rated at 420ftlb at 1700rpm and 225hp at 3200rpm or something...

When I towed my new toolbox home with the '97 Ranger I had the bottom box across the front of the trailer (not the one above, this one is my quad trailer, not deck over and I think 6'x12' no sides), top box behind it lengthwise, it was about all the little 2.3L would do in 4th to do 55mph...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Bad aerodynamics kills me towing my ranger behind the Fun50. I notice a real difference between interstate speeds and backroad speeds. Avg 9mpg on long interstate trips. 4.6l auto

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Here's a couple pictures for good measure... One's a pic of my typical Ranger wheeling camping setup with the previously mentioned deckover trailer, one's the F350 with a pallet of 80lb concrete bags (and however many it takes to get 50 bags sitting loose behind the pallet) with the airbags pumped up to 50psi, and the last is the toolbox on the trailer I towed behind the Ranger, I took the cardboard boxes off for this picture...

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's where I like my powerstroke, sure it's gutless towing, but the pictured setup yields 9-12mpg depending on if I'm going over mountain passes... and that getup is around 18k pounds!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Here's a couple pictures for good measure... One's a pic of my typical Ranger wheeling camping setup with the previously mentioned deckover trailer, one's the F350 with a pallet of 80lb concrete bags (and however many it takes to get 50 bags sitting loose behind the pallet) with the airbags pumped up to 50psi, and the last is the toolbox on the trailer I towed behind the Ranger, I took the cardboard boxes off for this picture...
You use a lot of pallets when you go camping/off-roading?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Wind resistance sucks.

I towed a mini excavator on a gooseneck with my 97 460 (right around 11k IIRC) and it pulled roughly the same as my 7000lb travel trailer at 60mph.

I felt it somewhat more then the camper when coming off the line though. Still averaged around 8mpg which is what i get with the camper.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You use a lot of pallets when you go camping/off-roading?
They make for a GREAT white man fire... :) Lots of surface area... free from work, they have literally been throwing them in the dumpster lately since the local mulch place stopped taking them.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
'04 Ranger Edge.
03 edge 01.jpg

RussGuss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Painted the new door handles to match truck color, Cayman Blue metal-flake.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Painted the new door handles to match truck color, Cayman Blue metal-flake.
I'm thinking about getting some door handles and associated hardware from an older F150 (the kind that has the button you push with your thumb) and fitting them into the extra set of Gen 3 doors I have, just for a retro thing, I never liked the newer style Ford door handles. If it turns out nice I'll put them on the 03 I'm rebuilding...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Wind resistance sucks.

I towed a mini excavator on a gooseneck with my 97 460 (right around 11k IIRC) and it pulled roughly the same as my 7000lb travel trailer at 60mph.

I felt it somewhat more then the camper when coming off the line though. Still averaged around 8mpg which is what i get with the camper.
It doesn't take much for it to be noticeable. There is a big difference in how my 4X8 utility tows with the cover tarp and without. I can feel the tailgate acting like a speed brake with the cover off in an empty trailer.

As far as the O/D switch. If the truck seems to tow ok with it on, it's probably fine. I play it safe and stay out of over drive as soon as the trailer is hooked up or I have a heavy load that requires me to air up the rear tires to prevent tire squirm.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
I installed new OEM style headlights in my ‘00. older ones were 20 years old. Now I just have to aim them.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals