• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think it works going backwards in years, but not forward in years lol. Or the guy lied about what it came off of. The internal bed size appears the same on all years but the later bed sides themselves are wider. From the inside it was perfect but on the outside it didn't even cover the stake pocket holes. I could have used it but I found the other one for 20 bucks and it was the perfect width so I said screw it.

The first one was about 57" wide, the second one was about 60" wide. 60" is perfect for my 2009. Both were the right length (about 75").
Actually if you go out and look in the bed of your '09 you will see the inside is stamped for dual tanks. That was not an option after 1988... they just kept using the same stamping.

I just measured mine, it is right at 60" which is about what the bed is across the flats too, a hair wider wouldn't hurt anything (I always thought it looked a hair too narrow)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, bed insides are the same, but the cab is wider and the bedsides bulge out a lot comparatively so I could definitely see the issue with the looks.

I have a red canopy that was free that I had on my '90 for a while, tempted to put it on the '97 to see how it looks...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The Tacoma (im guessing 90's?) cap was perfect width and length but was about 1.5 inches from being smooth with the top of the cab. 2x4s made it line up dead on. Plus this one is a high top A.R.E with sliding side windows. I'm going to paint match it and do something to make the 2x4 spacers less ghetto looking (maybe use aluminium instead) when I get home.

20201121_160622.jpg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I'm going to paint match it and do something to make the 2x4 spacers less ghetto looking (maybe use aluminium instead) when I get home.
They sell PVC moldings and 1x2, 2x2 and 2x3 etc., at the Home Depot and Lowe’s down here. You can’t use it for anything structural but I bet it would be perfect for what you’re doing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Used the 2011 to pick up new 2X3s & 2X4s to replace the rotting rafters for the car port.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Had the 92 over to my property and back a couple times today. Was prepping some burn barrels and getting them set among other things. Looks like tomorrow is going to be my last chance to get a truck in or out of my backyard at my property for at least a few days. It’s a bit soft even now, but the 92 has muds with good tread and 4x4 works.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
took the springs out the front again, 3rd time i believe, had wrong motor mounts in. went with rick plates and 4.0 mounts this time. added new sway bar bushes and end links. repainted calipers and brackets ford blue instead of black. fixed brake line a cut a few weeks ago. degreased the t5 and bellhousing it was nasteeeeee! valve cover and exhaust bolts got delivered, still waiting on headers, fuel lines need some figuring as well

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just a matter of philosophy. It all starts with Him, and we seek His help and guidance in what we do, or, we tank Him and ask His forgiveness for our slips at the end. A matter of faith, yes/no?
I just think in the terms of the work week. For me thats monday. Sunday is a day of rest and therefore the end of the week.
If we're going to start with God, then He instituted the seventh day as the Sabbath. If we want to find out what day of the week that is, all we need to do is look to Israel. The Jewish people have been keeping the Sabbath for centuries, on the same day. They worship on Saturday. So, Saturday is the Sabbath, and the Seventh day. Which means that the correct order of the days of the week is Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. Europeans, for some unknown reason, place Monday as the first day of the week. North America places Sunday as the first day of the week. The only time it really matters is if you are attempting to keep the Sabbath according to the fourth commandment.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Nothing directly to either Ranger or any Explorer... but I did clean a shed some and had a first look in a few years at some of my spare parts... I found a rotor and caliper, a couple front wheel bearings, somehow 3 starters for 2.3L's, two transmissions and a transfer case for the Geo Tracker, a set of valves and head for a 2.3L (didn't remember having a spare?), a BUNCH of parts for a Suzuki G16 (Crank, pistons, intake manifold, oil pan or two, etc).

Once I get the shop done I need to get that Tracker running so I can sell it and get rid of all those parts with it, I'm tired of looking at it... although I did find a turbo 2.3L harness in a tote and I know I can make another turbo 2.3L with what I have other than needing a M5OD to go behind it, that would make a reliable setup for that thing... The G16 and transmission can't handle daily driver duty... If I did that I'd sell the '97, turbo 2.3L in a 2500lb rig with 5.12's and 31" tires would be a blast and likely get 30mpg... ok, maybe 25...

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Had a 50°F day so the truck got its winter oil change, trans topped off since it has started leaking, snow brush put in cab and returnables put in the bed for the next day they can be returned.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I used the Ranger to go to Menards and get wood to make a manger for my wife and mother in law. then used the tailgate for a workbench to build said mangers

AJ

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I used the Ranger to go to Menards and get wood to make a manger for my wife and mother in law. then used the tailgate for a workbench to build said mangers

AJ
Your going to make your wife and mother-in-law sleep in a manger?

That will not go well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals