• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

rjaaaaaa2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That is an interesting look, kinda Studebaker like from the back. Personally I would have moved the rear window up a couple inches and the tires are a bit small for that stance, but it's definitely not bad and looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

Other than driving the '97 to work today, and the wife cleaning out the '00 Explorer for camping this weekend I haven't done anything Ranger related lately... The '90 is still in the driveway with the parking brake stuck on... I have gotten somewhere on the shop finally, 13 of the 14 posts are sticking out of the ground and 6 of them are square and tamped in with gravel...
Well here it is , fresh out of the "paint booth". Finished up the paint work yesterday and I think it came out great.

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Started cleaning the patio for the multiday repairfest that I've been collecting parts for since January. Now I just need dry weather so I can start actually working on it.

List includes:

Body mounts,
Fuel filler neck,
Power steering box
Power steering hoses
Water pump,
Timing chain and gaskets,
Valve cover gaskets with associated gaskets,
Valve adjustment,
Thermostat check for proper opening temp,
U joints

There will undoubtedly be more but I still need to order the clutch and rear main seal though. I'll need a hand with that one since the shoulders and back wont allow for the removal of the trans by myself anymore.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There will undoubtedly be more but I still need to order the clutch and rear main seal though. I'll need a hand with that one since the shoulders and back wont allow for the removal of the trans by myself anymore.
Getting it out is easy...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Not sure why... but I've always liked the amber fog lights. Not only do I like them... but they closer match the color of my park lights. So I bought a set of non DOT small clear LED floods (3.5")because nobody seems to make affordable DOT amber fogs. Then I bought some Lamin-X amber film and laid it on. I may do a second layer if the color isn't dark enough when they make it onto the truck. The Lamin-X is like $10 for a 7" x 8" sheet... way thicker then the tape at the parts stores. Hard to get it on without bubbles. They say they will go away... we will find that out also in time.

fog lights.jpg

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
My wife's car has been in the shop for a slave cylinder replacement, so I let her drive my car and I've been driving the Ranger again for the last week. Just like old times! I enjoyed it..

I have noticed a ticking from the back end as I come to a stop - it's road speed related, but it's clearly faster than wheel rpm. I was thinking U-joints, but they actually feel fine. The diff fluid is a little low, maybe 3/4" from the drain. It's extremely clean, so I'm going to top it up tomorrow and see if that helps (doubtful). Then I'll do the U-joints if not

fred m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
12.5 cups
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I washed mine today for the first time in 4,000 miles (really unusual for me to put it off that long)

Set the toe for the front end because a tie rod lock nut had come loose from last year's subpar chain-store front end alignment. Set it to about 1/16" toe-in, steering wheel is dead center and it tracks perfectly straight all the way up to 85 or so.

Replaced a burned out tag lamp bulb.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Changed the oil on the 2019. I still haven't figured out how to not make a mess changing the filter. The funnel thing that is supposed to direct the oil is next to useless. I got a sample for Blackstone Labs to look at and see what they think about the possible fuel contamination and how the oil held up to the turbo.

fred m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
12.5 cups
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Changed the oil on the 2019. I still haven't figured out how to not make a mess changing the filter. The funnel thing that is supposed to direct the oil is next to useless.
A filter relocation kit is an option. I’d put it inside the frame or behind the bumper. Having a truck which presumably is under warranty may mean that isn’t a viable option for you, at least not yet.
For the BITOGer in me, what oil/filter did you use?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Put this in it... me go cut cut now

20200702_193346.jpg

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Is that a wheelchair for someone with a major incontinence problem?
I guess technically plasma would be an extremely effective way to keep your pants dry. :unsure:

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
Couldn't wait any longer. Had to put the new wheels and tires on the Ranger. Now It really needs the lowering kit to arrive. 245/45-18 front and 275/40-18 rear. Same diameter 26.7 so no issues with RSC or Traction control.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A filter relocation kit is an option. I’d put it inside the frame or behind the bumper. Having a truck which presumably is under warranty may mean that isn’t a viable option for you, at least not yet.
For the BITOGer in me, what oil/filter did you use?
Yeah, I have to tread lightly with the 2019 right now since it is still under warranty. If I can't figure out a way not to make a mess by the time the warranty is up, I'll probably look at relocating the filter. I also want to look into an oil cooler because of the turbo as well. Something with a thermostat would be preferable.

As far as the oil, last change it was a K&N filter with Mobil 1 Truck/SUV full synthetic. This time it was Valvoline full synthetic with a Mobil 1 EP filter. I typically go with whatever full synthetic package deal is being offered with a better quality oil filter.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I topped up the rear diff fluid (about 1/2 quart), and of course it made no difference. I stopped at an empty school parking lot to see what I could see, braking in forward and reverse, and then I noticed a new, louder noise that was definitely wheel speed related, and on the right side. So I checked the front wheel bearing and it was fine, and then I jacked up the rear axle. It sounded terrible, with something nasty and crunchy going on in the right rear drum.

It turns out the adjuster cable had broken and the end was busy grinding itself away on the drum:
IMG_5675-1024.jpg

I picked up a hardware kit at AZ and fixed that, and now all I have is the original higher speed noise, although it is fainter. There is some notchiness, but it is hard to tell if that is the diff or the pinion. Perhaps it's a sign of issues with the pinion shaft bearing, but it's not bad yet and I'm going to let it go for now and keep and eye/ear on it. Overall the rear is quiet while running and the noise I hear is very faint, only audible sometimes with the rear window open when almost at a stop.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

Got a good start. Maybe I'll finish tomorrow. It's not as "plug and play" as I'd hoped, but not too bad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals