• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
It was a dirty dirty little cough cough but I rectified that situation:

Gave it a bath... again. The dash rug makes it look really dirty still through the wind shield. Kid and I gave it a quick once over with Turtle wax Ice polish. I need to get some wax next time I hit a store because I must have ran out because I can seem to find any at home. It is way over due for a waxing.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It was a dirty dirty little cough cough but I rectified that situation:

Gave it a bath... again. The dash rug makes it look really dirty still through the wind shield. Kid and I gave it a quick once over with Turtle wax Ice polish. I need to get some wax next time I hit a store because I must have ran out because I can seem to find any at home. It is way over due for a waxing.
I was gonna order one of those dash covers but I wasn't sure if it would look good. My dash was faded but uncracked when I put it in. But look at it now.

I was thinking about pulling it out and body filling those cracks in and sanding the entire top. Then repainting it black.
Try and stick with a two tone red and black.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Mine would look a lot better if they didn't use a pic of a grey cover for a tan one but... I used the little Velcro dots to hold the edges down on the passenger side to make it form fitting and haven't had an issue yet in 3 years. Here is what the passenger side looks like. Darn tan on grey thing... https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?media/20180609_185919-jpg.81/

There was a show from Power Nation or Power Block that covered how to fix a cracked dash that you may want to look up to give you ideas on how to fix the cracks. I have often considered the vacuum formed plastic covers, comes in all factory colors, but I wanted a quick cheap solution now and the vacuum formed run around $150 vs. $30-$40 I paid. Just more food for thought.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Mine would look a lot better if they didn't use a pic of a grey cover for a tan one but... I used the little Velcro dots to hold the edges down on the passenger side to make it form fitting and haven't had an issue yet in 3 years. Here is what the passenger side looks like. Darn tan on grey thing... https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?media/20180609_185919-jpg.81/

There was a show from Power Nation or Power Block that covered how to fix a cracked dash that you may want to look up to give you ideas on how to fix the cracks. I have often considered the vacuum formed plastic covers, comes in all factory colors, but I wanted a quick cheap solution now and the vacuum formed run around $150 vs. $30-$40 I paid. Just more food for thought.
Ill have to look into some options. Im just not a fan of that....

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Cool score today - Picked up a set of Strange rear brakes with barely half a season's use although it was a long time ago. A buddy said he owed me a favor for helping him build a car trailer a few years back so he donated them to the cause. He had upgraded from an 8.8 to a Fab 9 and the 8.8 parts had been gathering dust under his bench for a few years. BTW I already got the spool off him 2 years ago for two truck tires I didn't need.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The grease able leaf spring bolts came in. This may be my project for the weekend.

Can you measure the shank diameter and the length of the smooth portion of the shank under the bolt head please?
I just bought greasable bolts for my trailer suspension and they may be the same size. I paid about C$6.00 each bolt.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Can you measure the shank diameter and the length of the smooth portion of the shank under the bolt head please?
I just bought greasable bolts for my trailer suspension and they may be the same size. I paid about C$6.00 each bolt.
The front spring bolts are 5/8"X4.5". The rear bolts are 9/16"X4.5". The lower bolts that connect the shackle to the spring had to be cut down about 1/2" to clear the frame and tow hitch. The upper bolt that connects the shackle to the hanger didn't need modification and I was able to use the factory nut with the locking arm welded to them so you didn't need a crows foot to hold the nut in place.

EDIT: The bolts are installed but if memory serves, the original bolts I installed when doing the spring replacement have the same shank length. If I remember, I'll get a shank measurement off them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo
"Automatic transmissions don't deserve names, other than 'boat anchor." -- PetroleumJunkie412
The original discussion has disappeared. IDK.

We need some positive news. What did you do to your Ranger taday?
You're just starting on a very cool journey with that truck. Good luck!
Monday was a busy day. I got the tailgate I needed, and sliding glass for my rear window. I have no idea how to get those glass pieces into the frame. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated...
The right 1989 tailgate has been taken apart, (brushed chrome insert removed,) sanded, and primed for the Duplicolor paint, which I hope to apply "tomorrow," (actually, later today.) My phone data port decided to malfunction, so uploading the pictures of progress on this Job will have to wait until after I finally get some sleep.

Bonus: One of my nephews stopped by unexpectedly Sunday night while on a cross-country tour. He's already been all the way to the West Coast, and is backtracking through my state, on his way to the East Coast. I haven't seen him near enough in the last ten years, and he's become a very nice young man. He immediately volunteered to run to the salvage yard with me today, and we had a wonderful time 'shopping' for truck parts and talking, while prepping my new tailgate for installation.

Bottom Line: Getting the deal of a lifetime on a truck in such pristine condition is amazing.
Getting to reconnect with my nephew (who also happens be my namesake) while working on it-- priceless!

As predicted, the journey just got cooler...

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Saturday I led a gaggle of classic/special interest vehicles for a leg of a car cruise. I put 85 miles on my truck, it was hot (95*) but it was a lot of fun. I think they said there were around 75-80 of us.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I got the shank measurements for you. The front factory bolt was 3”. The replacement 2 7/8”. The rear replacement bolt is 2 15/16”. No idea what the factory bolt are since they were cut and the shank is still stuck in the old leaf springs and shackles.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. Going to go measure the trailer bolts right now.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Changed out the seat backrest because it was killing my back. Was walking all hunched over. I have a deal with petroleumjunky for a new set. Just gotta get the time to run out and meet him.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Got lumber... kept looking at the fuel trims getting more angry. I need to unplug the scanner but i just cant! +15.6 now! Come on!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the shank measurements for you. The front factory bolt was 3”. The replacement 2 7/8”. The rear replacement bolt is 2 15/16”. No idea what the factory bolt are since they were cut and the shank is still stuck in the old leaf springs and shackles.
My stock bolts were grade 9.8 which is between grade 5 and grade 8. Drilling a hole thru the center won't make them any stronger... so I erred on the side of caution and went with the grade 8 ones. Which are not cheap. Grade 5 is much cheaper but weaker to start with before they drill a hole thru them.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Through some rattle can flat black paint at the frame in prep of having the pictures taken. Tentative dates are June 25th or 26th to have the kids mom take shots of the truck. Then I'll send them in for selection for the calendar.

So far we have 3 spots in mind for the pics. The Greylock Glen, Whitcomb summit and the Wigwam Western Summit over looking Clarksburg/North Adams area. Links to each provided by clicking on each places names. Shots will be taken at all three places.

I guess I'll need to hit the driver side with the buffer to try to get out the scratches from a wrecker loosing a bumper cover and me driving over it and slapping the that side. Gosh that pissed me off when I ran that one over. It gave a crease just below the door handle and my paint less dent tools still have not arrived so its staying there for the shots. :dunno: Its a daily driver not a show truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals