• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drove it in a snowglobe.

37E7B2B0-7449-4967-A774-31947FAB6BBE.jpeg
99E56583-4B12-4432-8A42-DECDEFD43197.jpeg

The flakes were the size of a quarter or bigger, no wind... it was surreal. Although it is cringingly early I even flipped on the one station that already switched to Christmas music.

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Think I finally got all the air out of the left front caliper, yesterday. At least the pedal doesn't feel like a lump of jell-o, anymore.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I let gravity do the work nowadays, crank the bleeder valve, put a tube on it into a clear jar, and wait for the fluid to show. As long as the bleeders on the top of the caliper (calipers not reversed side to side) it's worked every time.

-Jazzer

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Yeah unfortunately didn't have a tube that fit exactly over the bleeder screw (should have stopped what I was doing and gone to get one, had to hold it in place while GF pushed on brake pedal. For some reason it went a LOT easier with the back brakes, and I managed to get those with much less trouble.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got the wonderful aluminum thermostat housing installed and flushed the coolant.
View attachment 51844
Big improvement over the POS plastic part. I had to put one on my 4.0 Mustang when the plastic one blew out a seam.

Taking the Ranger to a friend's transmission shop to get the fluid and filter changed. This will be the second time it's been done in the 20 years I've owned it.

Then if weather permits, changing the oil and filter tomorrow.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Drove the 92 out to my girlfriends and back. Was a gutless POS of a 4.0l the entire time. Stopped and got a bottle of trans tune and one of seafoam so we shall see how that all does. Also picked up plugs and wires. Changed the plugs, the ones in it didn’t look bad other than a massive gap. I went ahead and put the auto lite double platinums in anyway. Also went tracing vacuum lines to find the one for the fuel pressure regulator ended about 8” away from its destination and featured a piece of rubber line folded over and zip tied. That has been remedied and a new FPR is on order just in case it’s fubar. Hopefully that helps it out some, I just want it to be reasonable transportation while I get some of my other junk fixed.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
filled the tires and oil and checked the gas on the ol '90, likely go for a rip in the woods tomorrow night for old times sake...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Drove the 92 out to my girlfriends and back. Was a gutless POS of a 4.0l the entire time. Stopped and got a bottle of trans tune and one of seafoam so we shall see how that all does. Also picked up plugs and wires. Changed the plugs, the ones in it didn’t look bad other than a massive gap. I went ahead and put the auto lite double platinums in anyway. Also went tracing vacuum lines to find the one for the fuel pressure regulator ended about 8” away from its destination and featured a piece of rubber line folded over and zip tied. That has been remedied and a new FPR is on order just in case it’s fubar. Hopefully that helps it out some, I just want it to be reasonable transportation while I get some of my other junk fixed.
The 4.0 in my Mustang is very peppy. Has a true dual exhaust and a CAI. The cai has a velocity stack in the lower grill and a three inch plastic tube that goes up just underneath the filter, blowing cold air in from the bottom. The car will spin up 265/35-20's from a standing start very nicely. We have a 4.0 Ranger at work for our work truck, also very peppy performer. Both my Mustang and the work truck Ranger are five speed automatics.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0 in my Mustang is very peppy. Has a true dual exhaust and a CAI. The cai has a velocity stack in the lower grill and a three inch plastic tube that goes up just underneath the filter, blowing cold air in from the bottom. The car will spin up 265/35-20's from a standing start very nicely. We have a 4.0 Ranger at work for our work truck, also very peppy performer. Both my Mustang and the work truck Ranger are five speed automatics.
My green 2000 is a 4.0 and it was a sad performer but not as bad as this 92 was. My dad’s 99 has a 4.0 and it pulls hard. My choptop has a 4.0 with gasket match porting on the heads and headers with a 2.5” custom exhaust and would break 35’s free if I tried. The choptop is the only manual of the bunch

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So today I finished the work on the red Ranger for now. Fuel injector cleaner in the tank, trans tune in the transmission, new Autolite double platinums, new plug wires and hooking that vacuum line up. Gave it another look over today then ran some Seafoam into the intake, let it sit awhile, then smoked out the whole street. Runs 100x better so far. Running back out to my Girlfriends in the morning so we’ll see how it does on the highway this time, the last trip out the pedal was buried just to do 60.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yah. The Seafoam really does smoke out a hood. Reminds me of back in the day when I was a kid, and the mosquito smoker truck rolled through the hood. All us kids jumped on our bicycles and rode in the back wash. Our parents never stopped us. Probably explains why I am the way I am these days. LMAO!!

But truthfully, the Seafoam thing never did anything for mine. I've had to run 93 octane in it for years to stop the marbles in a can sound, even after I did the Seafoam thing. Honestly, carbon buildup is a free compression increase. Just up the octane and keep on rolling. My runs great. Since putting a semi-fuctional hood scoop on it, with holes in the hood over all the intake components, adding two small scoops directly over the cai filter, and the heat vents on the sides of the hood, I am now running 89 octane with no funny stuff happening. Just runs like a scalded cat now.

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Got this from our track photographer this morning. I know the days of the week are rearranged and he told me why but I really don't remember his reasoning behind it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yah. The Seafoam really does smoke out a hood. Reminds me of back in the day when I was a kid, and the mosquito smoker truck rolled through the hood. All us kids jumped on our bicycles and rode in the back wash. Our parents never stopped us. Probably explains why I am the way I am these days. LMAO!!

But truthfully, the Seafoam thing never did anything for mine. I've had to run 93 octane in it for years to stop the marbles in a can sound, even after I did the Seafoam thing. Honestly, carbon buildup is a free compression increase. Just up the octane and keep on rolling. My runs great. Since putting a semi-fuctional hood scoop on it, with holes in the hood over all the intake components, adding two small scoops directly over the cai filter, and the heat vents on the sides of the hood, I am now running 89 octane with no funny stuff happening. Just runs like a scalded cat now.
lol, I’m not old enough for the mosquito smoker truck but I do remember gypsy moth spraying.

I’ve done the Seafoam thing to several vehicles. My first Ranger it did nothing, not even really any smoke, my F-150 was the same. Don’t remember if I did it on my green Ranger. Want to say I did it on the Bronco II that I had at college and it was kinda meh. My choptop and this red one smoked ridiculously and both ran better and smoother. I’m going to say it’s not a cure-all but it can help some vehicles.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Got this from our track photographer this morning. I know the days of the week are rearranged and he told me why but I really don't remember his reasoning behind it.

View attachment 51933
Ive always prefered a calander to start on monday, I consider sunday to be the last day of the week.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Ive always prefered a calander to start on monday, I consider sunday to be the last day of the week.
I think that's common in Europe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals