• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
WOW WOW WOW, DARCY!!!

I reset the computer, no more engine light!

I got the Road Ranger aligned today. They centered the wheel, but it had a lot of play (hard to notice when it’s always pulling to one side), and they told me my steering box needed to be replaced, not immediately, but soon. When I took the long way home, it was 1000% better than it was.

Then I used @zekew64 ‘s method to tighten the steering box. I tightened it a quarter turn, and did a test drive. I tightened it another quarter turn, and did a test drive. Etc. After a gallon of gas for 4 test drives, just the tiniest bit of play.

LOOK AT THIS!!! : It goes in the direction I point it, nothing knocks, nothing bangs, no trouble lights, I have dash lights, I can hear the Beach Boys out of all four speakers without the Halloween spook crackle! If you go 50 and you close your eyes, you couldn’t tell it was moving! I think Lincoln even smiled!

View attachment 112410

I can only imagine he told me to replace the steering box because business is off. But then he charged me $20 less since it wasn’t perfect. What’s up with that?

Everybody should get one of these…

thats awesome that everything is working great now. the planets aligned, ha ha ha

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Changed a battery in Pixel 6A. Seems successful so far. It's charging now. Wow that glue is some tedious stuff to remove.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Installed steps so my wife can get in and out easier
20240621_194516.jpg

20240621_194534.jpg

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
So… I went looking for 4.88 gears for a D-35 TTB and discovered that I might be SOL on that. Really kinda wanted to go from 4.10 to 4.88 in the Choptop when I replace the rear axle that I grenaded recently. I haven’t really gone looking for an 8.8” gear set, but I figured I’d start with the potentially hard to find one, which is the front axle. So far all I’ve found is a listing for a 4.10 D-35 TTB gear set (which is what’s currently in the front diff) that was out of stock. Not quite sure what my move will be if I can’t get a 4.88 gear set for the front and rear. I can get 4.10 for the 8.8, so I can still get a rear in it that will match the front, but deeper gears would have been nice. If I can’t come up with deeper gears, I’m either going to be stuck with trying to get a little more performance out of the 4.0, or go with a different front axle…

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
So… I went looking for 4.88 gears for a D-35 TTB and discovered that I might be SOL on that. Really kinda wanted to go from 4.10 to 4.88 in the Choptop when I replace the rear axle that I grenaded recently. I haven’t really gone looking for an 8.8” gear set, but I figured I’d start with the potentially hard to find one, which is the front axle. So far all I’ve found is a listing for a 4.10 D-35 TTB gear set (which is what’s currently in the front diff) that was out of stock. Not quite sure what my move will be if I can’t get a 4.88 gear set for the front and rear. I can get 4.10 for the 8.8, so I can still get a rear in it that will match the front, but deeper gears would have been nice. If I can’t come up with deeper gears, I’m either going to be stuck with trying to get a little more performance out of the 4.0, or go with a different front axle…
Run the mismatched gears with some smaller tires up front to make up for the overall ratio difference.. would have some serious mad max vibes going on.. and mad max vibes are always bitchin 👌

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you looked for 5.13?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a set of 5.13 front and back. I'd be willing to sell you the front. Or both if you trade 4.88 rear plus cash. Not sure it would make sense with shipping. I'm in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada.
I don't plan on using them for a rbv anymore, I'm putting the rear into my pinto.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Finally pulled the drivers side spindle on the '90, was going to do the U joint but found the real problem, another rusted spindle bearing! Glad I got the new kit... Might have put the spindle bearing seal in backward last time? That bearing didn't want to come out, I had to sharpen some pre bent punches but I got it, gave up after that though... was already beat from derusting the tractor wheel...

Now to get water and stuff together to go to a big ol swap meet! See what kinda treasures I drag home that I likely don't need :)

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Run the mismatched gears with some smaller tires up front to make up for the overall ratio difference.. would have some serious mad max vibes going on.. and mad max vibes are always bitchin 👌
If it was a Ranger and not a Bronco II, it might be considered…

Have you looked for 5.13?
Not specifically, but so far I haven’t found anything deeper than 4.10, heck, I’d even take 4.56 if I could find it. Eventually I’d kinda like to throw a supercharger on the 4.0 just because. 5.13 might be a little deeper than I need at that point and still be streetable, but I could go to 36” tires at that point…

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
I have a set of 5.13 front and back. I'd be willing to sell you the front. Or both if you trade 4.88 rear plus cash. Not sure it would make sense with shipping. I'm in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada.
I don't plan on using them for a rbv anymore, I'm putting the rear into my pinto.
Unfortunately right now I have a 3.73 geared 7.5”, a 3.45 geared Explorer 8.8, a 4.10 geared set that came out of my 00 green Ranger (front and rear), and a 3.08 geared front pumpkin out of my F-150. The 4.10 geared 7.5” in my Choptop is currently a pile of scrap metal. My D-30 front (Jeep), 3.73 geared 7.5”, 4.10 geared D-60 rear, and 3.08 geared 8.8” from my F-150 were all stolen years ago. Oh, I think I have a 3.73 geared D-28/35 front pumpkin and two 4.10 geared D-28s, but those are toothpicks.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
If it was a Ranger and not a Bronco II, it might be considered…

Not specifically, but so far I haven’t found anything deeper than 4.10, heck, I’d even take 4.56 if I could find it. Eventually I’d kinda like to throw a supercharger on the 4.0 just because. 5.13 might be a little deeper than I need at that point and still be streetable, but I could go to 36” tires at that point…

Well keep it in mind for when you grenade some gears in the ranger lol

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
From Charlotte, NC; Living in Lansing, IA
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Well hey, I’m still alive! Camp has been amazing but also hectic, people really like to break AC units. And literally everything else.

Anyway, today I replaced my blower motor resistor because I had lost the low setting for my fan, and now it works great! That connector is a pain though…

I am also seriously considering purchasing the Affordable Offroad bumpers, as both of my factory bumpers have damage and it will cost me just as much if not more to have them repaired or replaced. If anyone has any input on them, fire away. Also not sure if I want the light cutouts on the wings or not.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
AOR Bumpers?

Just do it...

Buy the front skid plate too.

Cut outs for lights... your choice... but I didnt.

20221127_081012.jpg

20230908_173417.jpg

I cut my own holes for the rear flush mounts.

I also opted to build my own tire carrier...

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Are you going to the Carlisle nationals?

I’ll dig up some pictures, it’s not where I live
Yeah I was planning on going Saturday for truck nationals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals