• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
I had to put a battery in mine. I had to charge it to get running... then put about 25 miles on it... left me stranded in the parking lot.

I'm not sure why I can't keep a battery in there for long. I'm not convinced my truck isn't wearing them out honestly. Charge rate could be a little high... it sits alot... but I've put a battery about every 16 or 18 months since I've owned it. I had bought one and had free replacement for 3 years. The guy told me if this one quits before November it will still have free replacement. I just put the second replacement in it.
Sounds like there’s a parasitic draw somewhere. I’d go hunting for that. The old method was to put a 12 volt light between the negative terminal on the battery and the negative battery cables. Just something small like a test light or parking light bulb. If the draw is high enough, the bulb will light. Pull fuses until the light goes out and that’s the circuit with the draw. You can do the same with a multi meter that will read amp draw. There’s a certain amount of power to the radio and computer, I forget the exact numbers, but it shouldn’t be much unless something is wrong with one of those.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Filled up the tank and the 5 gallon portable tank since they decided we might be off thursday for this tropical depression down in mexico.

What a bunch of wusses. We used to surf hurricane surge and tropical storms. Now the town i live in is ahutting crap down for a possible tropical depression. For stupid rain! That means i probably wont be able to go to wataburger for breakfast.

But the ranger is doing great. My oldest son came back from his annual training and got the drive the ranger with the new shifter. He loved it and said if he gets a ranger, he will do the same kit

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I tried the DDS&W alignment method on the 97 Road Ranger, and it actually showed that the toe in was good. Still has a little pull to the right and the steering wheel is off.

IMG_2189.jpeg

I jacked the truck up in the middle, and I just grabbed everything and tried to wiggle it. All of the ball joints, and such were very tight, but the passenger side steering link had a little motion in it. I almost crapped my pants when I found the bolt on the adjustment sleeve was loose. It’s probably been that way since I bought it.

The circled nut had to be tightened about a half turn to snug it. Then everything was tight. I love the grandpa who owned this thing, he took very good care of it. I’ll be taking it to the NAPA shop near me for an alignment, and straightening out the steering wheel. $89

I also changed the O2 sensor. It came right out, but it’s only been in there about 3000 miles in a brand new sleeve when I did the dual exhaust. It didn’t break my heart it came right out. I’ll pull the negative in the morning to reset the computer and see what happens.

I started with 30 something items, and now I have 30 something items. Every time fix something, I find something else. But the good news is the list started with things like the radius arm bushing, and now it’s to put new bigger bubble mirrors on this side mirrors…

Baby steps…

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I tried the DDS&W alignment method on the 97 Road Ranger, and it actually showed that the toe in was good. Still has a little pull to the right and the steering wheel is off.

View attachment 112361

I jacked the truck up in the middle, and I just grabbed everything and tried to wiggle it. All of the ball joints, and such were very tight, but the passenger side steering link had a little motion in it. I almost crapped my pants when I found the bolt on the adjustment sleeve was loose. It’s probably been that way since I bought it.

The circled nut had to be tightened about a half turn to snug it. Then everything was tight. I love the grandpa who owned this thing, he took very good care of it. I’ll be taking it to the NAPA shop near me for an alignment, and straightening out the steering wheel. $89

I also changed the O2 sensor. It came right out, but it’s only been in there about 3000 miles in a brand new sleeve when I did the dual exhaust. It didn’t break my heart it came right out. I’ll pull the negative in the morning to reset the computer and see what happens.

I started with 30 something items, and now I have 30 something items. Every time fix something, I find something else. But the good news is the list started with things like the radius arm bushing, and now it’s to put new bigger bubble mirrors on this side mirrors…

Baby steps…
Unhooking the battery on an OBD II vehicle doesn't rest the computer like it did on older stuff, don't think I would bother...

$90 doesn't sound like a bad deal on an alignment anymore, pulling is likely camber or caster, neither should have been changed much changing a radius arm bushing but anything's possible... Straightening the wheel is simple, loosen all 4 bolts on the toe sleeves you have circled (having one of the 4 loose isn't too bad, just causes some rust from the extra wear being loose) and turn them 1/2 turn opposite directions until the wheel is centered... but a good shop will do that when they fix the camber or caster...

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Never underestimate the value of a few pinstripes. Whenever I get a little dent in something, the first thing I do is put a pin stripe on it. People’s eyes are drawn to the pinstripe and don’t see the dent.

View attachment 112335

I was inspired for the yellow pinstripe when I put masking tape down the side of the truck to paint the black after I had painted the red. The lower red pinstripe was to mimic the OEM design. Both are reflective.

View attachment 112338

You can also buy stencils for stuff like the flag for pennies on the eBay (get the plastic ones and you can reuse them), and the stripes were done with a little bit of masking tape.

Having said all that, I really like the way you laid out the paint on your thing. Unusual, but it looks great.

I’m a Christian, so I hesitate to offer this, but there’s a whole cult of strange people with cars who do something with soap and water. something about a ritual with well endowed women in T-shirts. I’m not that familiar with it, but you might want to look into it. I’ve been told to look into it several times…
I was going to paint the truck like a 70's power wagon with the Ranger in yellow and pin stripes.

fried.jpeg

9b5e122792e434b09095975407f98f6d.jpg

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Thank you thank you!

On the PAG oil/silicon issue: I was thinking of silicone more along the lines of sealing any possible pin holes around the O-rings in this 316,000 miles system. When it’s fresh, it helps it slide together, and when it sets, it should plug any holes from corrosion or such.

Is there anything chemically in the silicone that would interfere with the AC mechanism and chemicals? I know there are other parts of the engines where you can’t use silicone because it interferes with the sensors.

Yes/no?
Possible reaction with the PAG oil. Chunks could break off and fill the orifice tube or compressor.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Unhooking the battery on an OBD II vehicle doesn't rest the computer like it did on older stuff, don't think I would bother...

$90 doesn't sound like a bad deal on an alignment anymore, pulling is likely camber or caster, neither should have been changed much changing a radius arm bushing but anything's possible... Straightening the wheel is simple, loosen all 4 bolts on the toe sleeves you have circled (having one of the 4 loose isn't too bad, just causes some rust from the extra wear being loose) and turn them 1/2 turn opposite directions until the wheel is centered... but a good shop will do that when they fix the camber or caster...
Thanks.

You can always find good used tires in Atlanta for little money, so I never mind doing my own DDS&B alignment. But I’m usually starting with something that was straight to begin with. The last alignment I paid for was $55, but that was a few years ago. I don’t mind wearing a tire, but pulling to one side, that’s not a risk I want to take on a vehicle I take on long distance trips.

Let me also throw out that the radius arm bushing was pitiful. It had a travel of 3/4” or more up and down in the hole, and had a travel of an inch or more forwards and backwards. You could see it with your eyes closed from the upstairs bedroom, but the crossmember was so messed up that I kept thinking that was the problem. I’m an occasional weekend warrior before I retired, and I don’t have the troubleshooting experience a lot of you guys have. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I was going to paint the truck like a 70's power wagon with the Ranger in yellow and pin stripes.

View attachment 112364

View attachment 112365
I love putting silly little stickers and signs on my stuff, same concept as the pinstripes. When I added up the cost of everything, sometimes getting something and then wanting it in a different size, I broke down and spent about $250 on one of those sign making machines, the ones that cut the vinyl. It’ll be a break even or better. I haven’t set it up yet, but I’m hoping to do it before I head to Nationals. A low priority compared to other things.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Got it back on the road after a charging issue still need to mess with the hydraulic clutch though and repaint it for Carlisle in August.

View attachment 112307

View attachment 112308

I just watched the video. Sounds great.

I had a few little cracks like that on my dashboard. I used a $5 hot glue gun to fill them in. Then you can sand the hard glue when it sets, and I painted it with Rustoleum, but with a half inch nap so it has a little texture/grain, not the foam. It came out great. I used semi gloss black.

You have to cut the vinyl back past where its curling up at the crack, and you have to dig out a little bit of the hard foam so you’re starting with clean hard foam that hasn’t been damaged by the sun. Just take a little time and you’ll be happy.

After a couple of years, I have a very little tiny crack in one spot where I repaired it, but nothing like the valleys I could put my finger in when I started.

Hope it helps

DeeRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Picked up yee old Ranger from the shop today, (2001 XLT, 2.5, 5 spd, 2wd). Had no ac at all and defrost only vents. They replaced evaporator core, hose assy + orifice tube. Found rodent chewed vacuum lines behind the radio assembly and replaced. === Ice cold ac and all vents working properly. I couldn't be happier. YEE HA. And the cost seemed reasonable to me. $620. I might have been able to do it myself but in this heat the I may have done more harm than good. Stay cool and happy Rangering...

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just watched the video. Sounds great.

I had a few little cracks like that on my dashboard. I used a $5 hot glue gun to fill them in. Then you can sand the hard glue when it sets, and I painted it with Rustoleum, but with a half inch nap so it has a little texture/grain, not the foam. It came out great. I used semi gloss black.

You have to cut the vinyl back past where its curling up at the crack, and you have to dig out a little bit of the hard foam so you’re starting with clean hard foam that hasn’t been damaged by the sun. Just take a little time and you’ll be happy.

After a couple of years, I have a very little tiny crack in one spot where I repaired it, but nothing like the valleys I could put my finger in when I started.

Hope it helps
Yeah that's sounds good but I'm going to have to make a difficult decision probably in a year or 2 my frame is getting rough in some spots by the spring mounts in the front. Not too disappointed I got 9 years out of the truck but I may need to build a chassis or argue with marketplace people. I've been getting lack luster results and verbally abusing people who cant make up their minds on weather they want to sell parts, this one dude accused me of being a no show within 20 mins of asking him if it had that particular transfer case and complained when I told him I'm not just gonna pay him for the wrong transfer case. Getting a good 4406M for her explorer since I have to basically pull the engine to do the oil pan gasket. Has been a pain. So hopefully I can restore the whole truck one day. Plus my frame is bent. So we shall see.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Yeah that's sounds good but I'm going to have to make a difficult decision probably in a year or 2 my frame is getting rough in some spots by the spring mounts in the front. Not too disappointed I got 9 years out of the truck but I may need to build a chassis or argue with marketplace people. I've been getting lack luster results and verbally abusing people who cant make up their minds on weather they want to sell parts, this one dude accused me of being a no show within 20 mins of asking him if it had that particular transfer case and complained when I told him I'm not just gonna pay him for the wrong transfer case. Getting a good 4406M for her explorer since I have to basically pull the engine to do the oil pan gasket. Has been a pain. So hopefully I can restore the whole truck one day. Plus my frame is bent. So we shall see.
Where are you? When I went on a buying spree when I was all busted up and with the blood problems and wasn’t thinking right and I bought a bunch of Ranger stuff. I got an 1987 or 88 short cab short bed complete truck except the engine and transmission. The guy was in the process of doing a V-8 swap, and he got divorced, and then the project died and I bought the truck from his wife.

It’s straight as an arrow and completely rust free. I have a set of roller tires I can put on it, and I could also put on a tow tow bar. It would be an easy tow without the engine and trans.

I was planning on the third crazy project, but with my limited health and failing motivation, that one will probably never get done so I need to get rid of the truck.

If you want it set up with a tow bar and with lights like a trailer I can probably let it go for about $750, which is really just getting my money back. No profit, that’s what I have in it. And I have the title.

If you’re interested, I need a little time to find the pictures. Let me know.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
WOW WOW WOW, DARCY!!!

I reset the computer, no more engine light!

I got the Road Ranger aligned today. They centered the wheel, but it had a lot of play (hard to notice when it’s always pulling to one side), and they told me my steering box needed to be replaced, not immediately, but soon. When I took the long way home, it was 1000% better than it was.

Then I used @zekew64 ‘s method to tighten the steering box. I tightened it a quarter turn, and did a test drive. I tightened it another quarter turn, and did a test drive. Etc. After a gallon of gas for 4 test drives, just the tiniest bit of play.

LOOK AT THIS!!! : It goes in the direction I point it, nothing knocks, nothing bangs, no trouble lights, I have dash lights, I can hear the Beach Boys out of all four speakers without the Halloween spook crackle! If you go 50 and you close your eyes, you couldn’t tell it was moving! I think Lincoln even smiled!

IMG_2193.jpeg

I can only imagine he told me to replace the steering box because business is off. But then he charged me $20 less since it wasn’t perfect. What’s up with that?

Everybody should get one of these…

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Where are you? When I went on a buying spree when I was all busted up and with the blood problems and wasn’t thinking right and I bought a bunch of Ranger stuff. I got an 1987 or 88 short cab short bed complete truck except the engine and transmission. The guy was in the process of doing a V-8 swap, and he got divorced, and then the project died and I bought the truck from his wife.

It’s straight as an arrow and completely rust free. I have a set of roller tires I can put on it, and I could also put on a tow tow bar. It would be an easy tow without the engine and trans.

I was planning on the third crazy project, but with my limited health and failing motivation, that one will probably never get done so I need to get rid of the truck.

If you want it set up with a tow bar and with lights like a trailer I can probably let it go for about $750, which is really just getting my money back. No profit, that’s what I have in it. And I have the title.

If you’re interested, I need a little time to find the pictures. Let me know.
I'm in central pennsylvania.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals