• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Built a new exhaust that’s completely tucked above the frame, quiet as stock despite having long tubes and no cats, and has fairly good flowing muffler/resonator combo, without touching the frame or body at any point. This and getting an alignment tomorrow were about the last two things on my to do list before we take it two hours south for our anniversary getaway this weekend.

Then I pulled over to my neighbors house to check out his new 1948 Willys and noticed my AC had quit, and it appears the condenser has begun to leak with no provocation. This is a new unit only a year old, is this a common failure anyone knows about?

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Your picture of the leak appears to be green coolant at thr bottom corner of the radiator. What makes you think it's an A/C condenser leak other than the coincidence of the A/C not working?

Nice truck, by the way.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Your picture of the leak appears to be green coolant at thr bottom corner of the radiator. What makes you think it's an A/C condenser leak other than the coincidence of the A/C not working?

Nice truck, by the way.
Thank you I’ve worked hard on it!

It’s definitely the UV dye that was in the AC system, I hit it with black light and it glows extra bright, ac pressures are near 0, plus my coolant is topped off still.

I’m guessing the leak is from the corner of the condenser because I can’t see the leak anywhere except right in this corner which is mostly covered by the rusty core support. I have a new one enroute hoping to get it installed by Friday before bed time.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey alignment gurus how does this look? Just picked it up and can’t believe that I can go down the road straight with the wheel centered for the first time since I owned the truck!

I guess nothing concerns me much except the 2* more caster on one side vs the other, but that shouldn’t affect tire wear.

Attachments

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Hey alignment gurus how does this look? Just picked it up and can’t believe that I can go down the road straight with the wheel centered for the first time since I owned the truck!

I guess nothing concerns me much except the 2* more caster on one side vs the other, but that shouldn’t affect tire wear.
You’re never going to need new tires if you keep it that way. I understand children are starving in Africa making tires they can’t sell, or something like that.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You’re never going to need new tires if you keep it that way. I understand children are starving in Africa making tires they can’t sell, or something like that.
I’m assuming you’re referring to the 0.0* of camber? Or the almost 0.0 toe lol. I’m pretty happy, I got a phone calling in the ride home so I didn’t get to hear if it’s quieter now at higher speeds but I’m assuming so. The tire noise was getting pretty loud and they are basically new tires less than 3k miles.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, with the excessive toe in that it had previously, it must have been hard to keep straight on the road, and it would wear the front tires pretty quickly, so its clearly a huge improvement. I personally like a bit more toe-in than where they set it, but as long as it doesn't wander then you are fine.

The caster is more than it should be, and that tends to make the tracking unstable at high speeds, but a Ranger doesn't really ever get to high speeds, so you probably will not have any problems with the caster or the caster variation from side to side.

I'm a little concerned about how they think your solid rear axle has different readings post-alignment than it did pre-alignment, but I guess that is just telling us the printout has more precision than the precision of the measurements actually has.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, with the excessive toe in that it had previously, it must have been hard to keep straight on the road, and it would wear the front tires pretty quickly, so its clearly a huge improvement. I personally like a bit more toe-in than where they set it, but as long as it doesn't wander then you are fine.

The caster is more than it should be, and that tends to make the tracking unstable at high speeds, but a Ranger doesn't really ever get to high speeds, so you probably will not have any problems with the caster or the caster variation from side to side.

I'm a little concerned about how they think your solid rear axle has different readings post-alignment than it did pre-alignment, but I guess that is just telling us the printout has more precision than the precision of the measurements actually has.
Oh yes previously it was fairly S**t to drive as far as steering at speed goes. Finally got a good 10miles in this morning to pay close attention to everything and the first thing is the wheel is centered and all my hard work replacing every steering component minus the box paid off! There’s no slop at all, despite how it felt before the alignment where there appeared to be a bit of slop or numbness in the steering.

Second thing I noticed is I could listen and sing along to Chris Stapleton this morning at only 13 volume vs the previous 20vol I would need at speed to hear over the alignment eating my tires. I was actually preparing to step down to an RT or AT tire thinking it was just these MTs getting loud after 3k miles.

Third is the that the truck looks right, I think it may be a tad taller now.

I still need to see how funky the alignment gets when I back into a spot, and also try full lock left turns. The driver front was rubbing on the radius arm at full lock previously, but I suspect it was alignment related since the passenger side never did it.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Added an important feature to my front bumper in preparation for taking my POSOTM photos.

20231206_140203.jpg

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Yotaismygame
February Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals