• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Took the '97 in to have one of the very few things that's better left off to someone else... got a windshield and since it was cheaper with new wiper blades they did that... I meant to swap wiper blades with one of the sploders but forgot, oh well... Safelite didn't do too bad, washed the inside and outside of my door windows too and didn't screw up my seat setting...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Missing Linc drag link came in today. The one I ordered was half the price of all the other ones. So I popped underneath the truck today just to make sure it was the right one. Looks OK.

The bag of 50 stainless Nylok half inch nuts came in today for the Road Ranger converter dolly.

IMG_0663.jpeg

I don’t know about you guys, but I get a rush from just seeing them on my workbench. I mean, they’re not just nuts, they’re stainless nuts. And they’re the nylon lock nuts. And they’re big, they’re a half inch, not 1/4-20 erector set stuff. And there’s 50 of them. I love playing with this junk. Whew.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
I used the Strangler to haul off two bags of garage yesterday. That 10lbs of trash whopped her ass.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am curious what it cost you to acquire that big bag of big nuts.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Drove the '00 Explorer around to put the jumper cables on the '90 Ranger for a while since it's been sitting since May I think and the battery was dead for whatever reason... Anywho, it started and is running now, let the alternator do it's job for a bit then put the trickle charger on over night and the plan is to go play in the snow tomorrow, there's forecast for up to around 4' of snow between today and tomorrow in the hills so it could get fun. Now I need to get the windshield cleaned on the inside, add some wiper fluid, get the mower deck and ATV ramp out of the bed and check tire pressures tonight...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As I came to a stop down the road I pressed the windshield wiper button and nothing happened. Well, the windshield wipers moved, but no washer fluid. I pressed again and a few seconds later steam came out from the seams around the hood. So, I pulled over in the next parking lot to investigate. The y connector had aged to the point of crumbling and washer fluid was squirting out and washing the exhaust manifold. I bought a pack of replacement connectors at Autozone, but by the time I got home it was dark and drizzling. I'll fix it tomorrow if I remember.

Anyway, the exhaust manifold is clean.

Rangerchuck93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did the heater hose insulation mod that I found on here the other day and put a piece of tailgate plastic in front of the radiator. I took it for a test drive with the code reader and it runs at a good temp now.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
After putting in the tie rod end a week ago, I put the drag link in today on The Missing Linc. Everything else was pretty tight.

After a quick test ride, I used the DDS&B* alignment method and got the tires pointing in the same direction.

IMG_0695.jpeg
IMG_0697.jpeg

*Deluxe Double Stick & Bungee.” I bungee a straight edge on each of the front wheels/tires, and let them stick out about 3 feet. I measure the width close to the tire, and then I measure the width close to the tip. When the measurements come within about 1/16 of an inch of each other, it’s straighter than anything else on the truck.

Then I ran up and down the road a couple more times, and adjusted it, so the steering wheel was centered. I’ll check it again in a couple days.

The inspector maintained quality control by licking my face whenever I laid on the ground. Then he became more interested in the chipmunk that lives under my deck. It’s hard to keep good help when they have an opportunity to chase a little tail….

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Went into the mountains yesterday with the '90 Ranger to play in the snow as planned and the snow was pretty decent, could have been better but could have been worse too... somewhere around 24" of snow and we were breaking trail for many miles between the two of us, good times! Ranger did pretty good, the radius arm bushings are SHOT and there's something squeaking on the passenger side axle shaft, that'll take some investigation... I only took a couple pics, might post them later...

JoshT

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hopefully fixed it (edit: the 99)... 🤞 & :pray:

Don't know if I posted in this thread, but it started missfiring the other week. The previous times (too many times) it did this on the old motor it was always a blown headgasket blown on cylinder 3 or 4. This time around it showed missfire on cylinder 3, so I was expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Last week I picked up a combustion gas tester from harborfreight and it gave a negative rersult for exhaust gas in the coolant. Swapped out the coil with the known good coil from the old engine, didn't change anything.

This morning I swapped out the plug wire with one from old engineand again no change. Finally got my hands on a new spark plug this afternoon and tried a different plug wire again. Fired up and ran smooth. Going to drive it around for a bit and ig all stays good it's going to get new plugs and wires all round.

Maybe I'll be able dodge the 5.0L swap for a bit longer. Going to happen eventually, might be getting a donor later this week, but not exactly in a rush to do it with everything else going on at this time.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Here's a pic of my Ranger and my buddies Yota from yesterday, didn't do anything with it today other than unpack some stuff... This is in an area from the 2020 wildfires in Oregon, hadn't been there since before the fires...

20231202_113848.jpg
20231202_113904.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Yotaismygame
February Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals