• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Got two new rotors, two bearing seals, 4 wheel bearings, and a needle bearing for the driver side spindle just in case from Rock Auto. All bearings and seals are Timken, rotors are bendix

Now comes the take it apart to see if the spindle is shot. I hope not, but it looks like bronco graveyard sells new aftermarket spindles for $110. Saw another after market for $370 bucks. No clue why it is so high..

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not the aftermarket spindles are any good?

AJ

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Green Ranger got driven a little yesterday and shown off to friends.

Other than that it was working on cleaning up things around here to prepare for the repairs to the dump truck

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

holyford86

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Wheeled mine like I haven't in almost a decade, in the process I learned I'd like to add a skidplate for the front diff. Also learned my already oversized and properly torqued ubolts along with upgraded plates weren't enough to keep my overloads from rotating out from under the pack, so upsized them one more size and tightened them more, which seems to have fixed the problem. I'm a few days behind in posting but haven't done anything of merit since then, other than drive to and from work.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
well got my 2000 ranger back from the shop and no more antifreeze in the oil. the intake was the culprit they also pulled the timing cover which was badly corroded so that got replaced and I had them put in a new timing chain kit while they were in there. runs like a top now.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Green Ranger went for a spin today, had to run out for gas for the tractor, lol. Not much is likely to happen to any of the trucks other than use them for the next few days. Property cleanup weekend is about to happen.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
While rotating tires, I cleaned them and doused them with (Aerospace) 303, then painted the Raised White Letters.

tires.jpg

I used to use Turtle Waxes "Endura-Shine on the rubber 'til it was discontinued. Thin as printers ink and messy to work with, but it gave the tires a deep matte black finish that lasted 3-4 months. Turtle Wax made a vinyl trim dye, also discontinued. The front bumper on this truck was last treated with it 2 years ago, still black and shiny.
I just ordered a similar dye, "Forever Black", and I'll check that out to see if it's as good as the TW. There's another one, "That Black Stuff", but it's twice the price.

-Jazzer

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
While rotating tires, I cleaned them and doused them with (Aerospace) 303, then painted the Raised White Letters.

View attachment 99093

I used to use Turtle Waxes "Endura-Shine on the rubber 'til it was discontinued. Thin as printers ink and messy to work with, but it gave the tires a deep matte black finish that lasted 3-4 months. Turtle Wax made a vinyl trim dye, also discontinued. The front bumper on this truck was last treated with it 2 years ago, still black and shiny.
I just ordered a similar dye, "Forever Black", and I'll check that out to see if it's as good as the TW. There's another one, "That Black Stuff", but it's twice the price.

-Jazzer
I’ve been very happy with “forever black,” easy to use, easy to clean off anything that’s not supposed to have it, and seems to last forever. And no silicone, so it doesn’t fade and turn gray and yucky. Only lesson I learned the hard way after two or three times was to always wear vinyl gloves cuz it sticks to skin as well as it does to rubber/vinyl!

Last edited:

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, Rick, that’s how the TW was. I’d use a 1” square velour staining pad to apply, and had a wet paper towel handy for drips. Glad to know the FB is good, thanks!

-Jazzer

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Anyone know if the transmission cross member location is the same between different engines and transmissions on the 98-01 trucks? I'm trying to get everything ready for a manual conversion when I do the Kubota swap. I'd like one of those cross members that doesn't hang so low. I want to put the manual transmission in the factory place so the shifter is in the OE location. Going from 2.5 with 4R44E to a V2203T with a M5ODR1. I think I have everything figured out and planned out. Should be getting the engine next week, if all goes well.

Stankard757

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Spending a raining Saturday inside temporarily fixing my dash panel all tabs are broken now
1000002064.jpg

1000002065.jpg

Not expecting miracles, just need to last til I replace my dash

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Spending a raining Saturday inside temporarily fixing my dash panel all tabs are broken now
View attachment 99106
View attachment 99107
Not expecting miracles, just need to last til I replace my dash
Do you know the baking soda and superglue plastic fix? YouTube search it. If you have the pieces, you can put them all back together, and it will be stronger than the original. And you can whittle it down with a Roto tool if you use too much.

Also, if there are any cracks in your dashboard: I use the Roto tool to take all of the extra vinyl edge off and all of the oxidized foam out, so there was a clean hole, noting rotten or sticking up. Then I filled it in with a hot glue gun. You just have to go slow and make sure it’s sticking to the base. Then, basically, you can overfill it, let it harden, and then you can sand it down flat, and then you can paint it. I did it on my 87, two pretty big, deep, grooves, and it came out like new, literally. I always joke, but I’m dead serious, I painted it with semi gloss black Rustoleum with a nappy roller, so it had a texture, and you couldn’t even see what I did the repairs. A year later, one little tiny, crack has reappeared, not worth fixing yet.

Edit afterthought: even if you don’t have all the pieces, dig in your scrap pile for something that you can carve into the right thing, right shape, and stick it on the same way.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On that I would go to a hobby shop that deals with model trains and get a jar of "plastruct bondene" or whatever Plastruct that they have, it's in a little glass bottle with a black cap that is brush in cap, it's basically MEK or some other bad stinky stuff (their bondene and plastic weld are different stuff, one's MEK and the other is something else...), if you have ABS or PVC it melts the plastic and makes it as strong as it was from the factory... I've had mixed results on vehicle stuff but it's worth a shot to try since it won't work after you try superglue or anything else...

Last night and this morning I made a load of blackberry vines and some trimmings from the walnut tree in the yard so I could get the tractor under it to harrow some before we put some grass seed down for the rain that's coming later today, moved that to the burn pile in the '97 Ranger then went to town for some diesel for the tractor and a new pole saw from Harbor Freight...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Yotaismygame
February Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals