• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Soooo, when I went to start ‘ole Blue, she just didn’t sound right, so I took the Road Ranger and got a starter, and (actually rare for me), I got a new battery, and a new solenoid, as well as the rest of the dye for the top. It only took a couple hours to finish off the top and put in the starter battery and solenoid etc., which included cleaning up the negative battery terminal clamp. I didn’t mean to shock you guys by buying a new battery, but ‘ole Blue is my “new” car, the one I rely on when I have to go long distance and such. I want to do a little buffing and waxing, but she’s good now for another 35 years!

View attachment 90736
It looks good, it a strange looking Ranger but I like it.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Thanks, guys. I didn’t share the dumb factor in the whole project. I put the Lincoln in the middle of the driveway because I thought this was only going to take a couple hours a couple days ago. You can see Big Red obviously in the picture, and if you look real close to the right you can see the edge of the tailgate and bumper of the Missing Linc. What you don’t know is that the other two cars are in the carport that you can barely see over the top of Big Red. So when I taped up ‘ole Blue, I blocked everything in the property except the Road Ranger which was out front, not your typical grocery getter. Dumb, dumb, dumb. That’s what retirement does to your brain :blush:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, guys. I didn’t share the dumb factor in the whole project. I put the Lincoln in the middle of the driveway because I thought this was only going to take a couple hours a couple days ago. You can see Big Red obviously in the picture, and if you look real close to the right you can see the edge of the tailgate and bumper of the Missing Linc. What you don’t know is that the other two cars are in the carport that you can barely see over the top of Big Red. So when I taped up ‘ole Blue, I blocked everything in the property except the Road Ranger which was out front, not your typical grocery getter. Dumb, dumb, dumb. That’s what retirement does to your brain :blush:
Ehh, it’s just Murphy’s Law…

I’ve been in that boat before. Go to do a simple thing to the vehicle blocking everything in and next thing you know, you have to go somewhere and what you were trying to fix is usually the reason. I try not to put myself in that situation anymore and having parts delivery helps a lot with ending up in that boat. If I can get a machine and get some of my property straightened out (ideally my garage up too), I’ll have the room to NOT block stuff in all the time. Not sure how the township will feel about it, but a 50’ deep 80’ wide strip of parking space with road frontage across the whole thing will do a lot to help.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i am taking the ranger to the va clinic today to get labs done for the kidney check from when they had stopped when i was in for the vid

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got some trays today for in the Packout organizers so I got the three organizers for electrical pretty well sorted out (one has battery cable stuff, solder shrinks, generic 2 and 3 pin waterproof connectors, and some other assorted stuff; another has all my Weatherpack stuff; and the third is my Deutsch DT stuff). Then I took the StackOn organizer the Weatherpack stuff came in and sorted my common Ford connectors (the round and square). While I had all that stuff out, I fixed the one wire that was damaged on my fuel sender harness for the green Ranger (I had no idea a wire was almost through and not sure how or why it happened, only saw it when I dropped the tank).

Then I took a deep breath, made some marks on my driveshaft, and ground the end free. For those wondering, I’ll have to get some pictures, but it’s a LOT thinner than I expected. It’s maybe 1/8” wall. For some reason I expected 3/16-1/4”. But it’s free. I’m going to have to do a little touch up where I got a little carried away with the grinder (the end of the tube was not exactly where I thought it would be). I’m thinking I’ll take what I think is just right off (it may very well be not enough) and test fit. I have the slip joint opened up right now so I can make sure I’m not too tight. Once I’m happy with it, I’ll get it welded and take it to be balanced.

Not sure yet if I’ll try to weld it here with flux core or take it up to my buddy’s and use my big MIG. On a side note, I found a little porosity in the factory weld…

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Got some trays today for in the Packout organizers so I got the three organizers for electrical pretty well sorted out (one has battery cable stuff, solder shrinks, generic 2 and 3 pin waterproof connectors, and some other assorted stuff; another has all my Weatherpack stuff; and the third is my Deutsch DT stuff). Then I took the StackOn organizer the Weatherpack stuff came in and sorted my common Ford connectors (the round and square). While I had all that stuff out, I fixed the one wire that was damaged on my fuel sender harness for the green Ranger (I had no idea a wire was almost through and not sure how or why it happened, only saw it when I dropped the tank).

Then I took a deep breath, made some marks on my driveshaft, and ground the end free. For those wondering, I’ll have to get some pictures, but it’s a LOT thinner than I expected. It’s maybe 1/8” wall. For some reason I expected 3/16-1/4”. But it’s free. I’m going to have to do a little touch up where I got a little carried away with the grinder (the end of the tube was not exactly where I thought it would be). I’m thinking I’ll take what I think is just right off (it may very well be not enough) and test fit. I have the slip joint opened up right now so I can make sure I’m not too tight. Once I’m happy with it, I’ll get it welded and take it to be balanced.

Not sure yet if I’ll try to weld it here with flux core or take it up to my buddy’s and use my big MIG. On a side note, I found a little porosity in the factory weld…
You may find this inspirational:

E1336FE1-AD12-4ADE-BD77-A5806B782E97.jpeg
754BA19E-2436-4226-9DF0-3A1CCA98B74B.jpeg

When I finally got everything the way I wanted it, I popped the clutch trying to climb the new driveway. When I looked, it was rotted out pretty good. No complaints, it happened in the driveway. & it was the only rusty spot on the whole truck except a spot about the size of a Silver Dollar that was over one rear wheel well.

Good luck with it!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You may find this inspirational:

View attachment 90788View attachment 90789

When I finally got everything the way I wanted it, I popped the clutch trying to climb the new driveway. When I looked, it was rotted out pretty good. No complaints, it happened in the driveway. & it was the only rusty spot on the whole truck except a spot about the size of a Silver Dollar that was over one rear wheel well.

Good luck with it!
Ouch, at least it was in the driveway! Last time I had a driveshaft on the ground was when I snapped (another) U-joint on my F-150 (by letting the clutch out waayy too fast, I didn’t pop it, but I wasn’t trying to go easy on it either while feeding it way too much gas - 300 straight 6 with a stage 2 clutch, ZF5 and rear locker with aggressive tires) tires made one full revolution, then there was a loud bang and suddenly every gear was a neutral because there was nothing connecting it anymore. Bad part was, truck was loaded, big trailer behind it fully loaded, and I was in the city nearing rush hour…

Fortunately I had tools and after throwing the broken bits in the bed and locking in the front hubs, I was able to limp it home.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Still working on polishing those ancient Cragar Mag Master rims I bought from a member here. Got the two fronts and one of the rears done. The last one is half done, hopefully I finish it today. Once all the clear coat is gone, using red scotchbrite, I am going to go back over them with green. Red is course, green is fine. It takes hours getting the clear coat off. Using the green is easy peasy.

99 XLT

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Transmission
Manual
Still working on polishing those ancient Cragar Mag Master rims I bought from a member here. Got the two fronts and one of the rears done. The last one is half done, hopefully I finish it today. Once all the clear coat is gone, using red scotchbrite, I am going to go back over them with green. Red is course, green is fine. It takes hours getting the clear coat off. Using the green is easy peasy.
One thing I don't think I'll ever do again is hand strip / polish rims.

I first did it a decade ago when I got my first 89 camaro. Took me like 30hours total. Then I did it again for a 91 formula and swore off it ever again.

For my current ranger rims, I'll leave em be pitted and dull, or just paint em black.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One of my tasks at work is polishing rims. Semi truck rims. Haven't done it that much yet but it's about 3 hours per rim. I think I can cut that down to 2 with more experience.
Starts with 80 grit and work up to 1500. Then polish with white bar. Final clean is with flour. Yes, flour used for baking bread. It gets all the little black spots left from the white polishing compound.
Of course that's a big investment in sandpaper for orbital machine. Probably not cost effective for the average homeowner.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I went out with intentions of getting after the green Ranger but I’m still really irritated about not finding my frame sections, so I went back on the hunt again. Down to my property, ransacked the barn again (2-stall horse “barn” that’s a sloping dirt floor rickety wonder), dug my way all the way back. My tires and rims that were sold to me as Ranger rims are still back there, need to try and get rid of them again. Not exactly sure what they are, but they are Outlaw II style rims and they are 5x something that isn’t 4.5 or 5.5, because they fit nothing here.

Anyway, back to the hunt. Found the rear cab crossmember from the donor. Nothing else with it. Found a brand new set of drums I believe, boxes were still taped shut, but I didn’t write on them what they were for. Also found a brand new set of brake calipers for the choptop. Not entirely sure what that stuff was doing there. A little stash of used truck parts, but no frame sections. Checked the “garage” (a rickety structure on sloped gravel slightly bigger than the Chrysler New Yorker that’s in there that needs a new home somewhere away from my property) and as predicted, they definitely aren’t there either.

Checked dad’s firewood shed and they aren’t there (still need to find my tree stand a happy home), but I did get most of my stuff out of there before I get yelled at again. Dug most of the way back in my tarp shed and they aren’t there, but I was able to do some re-organizing which gave me a little space back. Checked dad’s equipment shed, nada. Checked over at my shed. No luck there either, however… a raccoon (or multiple raccoons) have taken up residence in the loft. Gonna have to serve an eviction notice I guess. Poked around a couple other places but at this point I’m reasonably certain my frame sections aren’t here. Messaged my buddy and asked if he could do some poking around there again.

Really didn’t get much done on the Ranger today, but I did get a few things done like putting loom and wrap on the fuel tank sender harness that I repaired yesterday I think it was. Really kinda need the frame sections if I don’t want to do a bunch of work twice.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Fired the old 83 ranger up today. 9 months sitting and the battery was fully charged. After about 3 mins to get the gas to the carb, and she purred to life. Took it for a good 30 min run around town. I forgot how limiting the 4 spd manual is on the hwy lol. And she still back fires on shut down :ROFLMAO:.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Well, I went out with intentions of getting after the green Ranger but I’m still really irritated about not finding my frame sections, so I went back on the hunt again. Down to my property, ransacked the barn again (2-stall horse “barn” that’s a sloping dirt floor rickety wonder), dug my way all the way back. My tires and rims that were sold to me as Ranger rims are still back there, need to try and get rid of them again. Not exactly sure what they are, but they are Outlaw II style rims and they are 5x something that isn’t 4.5 or 5.5, because they fit nothing here.

Anyway, back to the hunt. Found the rear cab crossmember from the donor. Nothing else with it. Found a brand new set of drums I believe, boxes were still taped shut, but I didn’t write on them what they were for. Also found a brand new set of brake calipers for the choptop. Not entirely sure what that stuff was doing there. A little stash of used truck parts, but no frame sections. Checked the “garage” (a rickety structure on sloped gravel slightly bigger than the Chrysler New Yorker that’s in there that needs a new home somewhere away from my property) and as predicted, they definitely aren’t there either.

Checked dad’s firewood shed and they aren’t there (still need to find my tree stand a happy home), but I did get most of my stuff out of there before I get yelled at again. Dug most of the way back in my tarp shed and they aren’t there, but I was able to do some re-organizing which gave me a little space back. Checked dad’s equipment shed, nada. Checked over at my shed. No luck there either, however… a raccoon (or multiple raccoons) have taken up residence in the loft. Gonna have to serve an eviction notice I guess. Poked around a couple other places but at this point I’m reasonably certain my frame sections aren’t here. Messaged my buddy and asked if he could do some poking around there again.

Really didn’t get much done on the Ranger today, but I did get a few things done like putting loom and wrap on the fuel tank sender harness that I repaired yesterday I think it was. Really kinda need the frame sections if I don’t want to do a bunch of work twice.
I’ll look in my shed of miracles again…

Question: Do the raccoons drive a Ranger? Is it Rusty? maybe they took them

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Yesterday, I put an extra “Ranger XLT” emblem on the Road Ranger’s box. Came out good.

029C54A7-A907-4E1B-A885-80122838DC36.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals