• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Put 200 miles on it yesterday. Made a shoddy video and put it on YouTube. I need to get a go-pro and learn to add music. Trying to do film with my phone and drive is kind of a pain.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Didn’t get to do a lot to it, but did get to mess with the green Ranger some. Spliced a couple wires and figured out what wire goes to what on the plug (someone cut the crank sensor plug off the harness, not me). Cleaned up some bolts and got the power steering pump and A/C pump bracket kinda hand tight on there. Did a little straightening up and other stuff too.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
20221205_141937.jpg

Got some yellow diode dynamics LED fog bulbs in yesterday, got a good deal on them from a member on 5g. 130$ reg price and I stole them for 60$ shipped.

Working on getting a pair of the eibach 1" lift blocks off another member over there now.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Sealed the deal on the lift blocks.

1" blocks with new hardware, 50$ discount 😎 tried for 60$ off but no dice lol.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Put 200 miles on it yesterday. Made a shoddy video and put it on YouTube. I need to get a go-pro and learn to add music. Trying to do film with my phone and drive is kind of a pain.

drift innovation makes a way better camera that has a lot longer battery life for the same price. i have a go-pro and a drift camera, the ghostx, i think is what its called. its their base camera, and the battery lasts 8 hours per charge. actually, a little longer but that is what its supposed to last. the go-pro, i am lucky to get 2h and 15m out of. since i cycle, i had to take into account vibration and weather resistance, which go-pro requires a case to be protected against weather. the drift camera doesn't. they make a case but its not needed for rain or anything like that. the drift camera uses the same mounts as go-pro so all my go-pro gear works with the drift camera, which was very nice.

and the drift camera takes a lot larger card so it doesn't start over writing and losing videos in one 8 hour bicycle ride. i can actually do about 16 hours before it overwrites because it takes a larger gig memory card.

i still have my go-pro. my son uses it for autocross since his runs are short. i ride to long to be stopping and swapping batteries and i use it to record if someone harasses us on our bikes or throws stuff at us when driving by. if the mattery dies and i didn't know, it would suck to miss if a driver hit someone and we needed the license plate for the cops

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i still have my go-pro. my son uses it for autocross since his runs are short. i ride to long to be stopping and swapping batteries and i use it to record if someone harasses us on our bikes or throws stuff at us when driving by. if the mattery dies and i didn't know, it would suck to miss if a driver hit someone and we needed the license plate for the cops

Not condoning trying to run people over on bicycles, but did you consider riding your bicycle somewhere where people aren't trying to kill you?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
drift innovation makes a way better camera that has a lot longer battery life for the same price. i have a go-pro and a drift camera, the ghostx, i think is what its called. its their base camera, and the battery lasts 8 hours per charge. actually, a little longer but that is what its supposed to last. the go-pro, i am lucky to get 2h and 15m out of. since i cycle, i had to take into account vibration and weather resistance, which go-pro requires a case to be protected against weather. the drift camera doesn't. they make a case but its not needed for rain or anything like that. the drift camera uses the same mounts as go-pro so all my go-pro gear works with the drift camera, which was very nice.

and the drift camera takes a lot larger card so it doesn't start over writing and losing videos in one 8 hour bicycle ride. i can actually do about 16 hours before it overwrites because it takes a larger gig memory card.

Thank you, I will look into it!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Not condoning trying to run people over on bicycles, but did you consider riding your bicycle somewhere where people aren't trying to kill you?
they don't have bike parks and places for riding here in south texas. you have to ride on the roads. they did actually put two bike lanes in though. the cars loved that the city thinned out the two lanes to squeeze a three foot wide bike lane on the road also.

i don't have so many problems with cars because my bike sticks out and people always ask questions about it, being a recumbent, but the road bike guys are normally always having trouble with people buzzing them, or diesels smoking them out. the issue with people throwing stuff out the windows is rare and people almost hitting you is usaully accidental

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Used it to get a new floor jack on Sunday

AJ

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, got to tinker a little with the green Ranger today, got the wiring finished for the crank sensor and got that installed. Tightened the bolts for the accessory bracket for the power steering and A/C. Put a new U-joint in the front driveshaft because I had one on hand and the old one was sounding crunchy but for some reason it is acting like it’s too long to fit now. The driveshaft that is. I have the Explorer one around here somewhere but it should be the same length. Cleaned up some more bolts and threads and some other little stuff.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Well, got to tinker a little with the green Ranger today, got the wiring finished for the crank sensor and got that installed. Tightened the bolts for the accessory bracket for the power steering and A/C. Put a new U-joint in the front driveshaft because I had one on hand and the old one was sounding crunchy but for some reason it is acting like it’s too long to fit now. The driveshaft that is. I have the Explorer one around here somewhere but it should be the same length. Cleaned up some more bolts and threads and some other little stuff.
Did you swap in the D35 from an explorer? If so, the D35 is a tad longer, use the Sploder DS it’ll be the right length.

I played with the steering today. It was pulling hard passenger and I couldn’t let go of the steering wheel. I was able to get rid of a lot of the pull but it’s still pulling passenger. I shortened the PS RA by 1/2” and reset the Caster/Camber. It’s sitting at 5 deg passenger and 5.5 deg driver. Kinda stumped why it’s still pulling passenger.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Did you swap in the D35 from an explorer? If so, the D35 is a tad longer, use the Sploder DS it’ll be the right length.

I played with the steering today. It was pulling hard passenger and I couldn’t let go of the steering wheel. I was able to get rid of a lot of the pull but it’s still pulling passenger. I shortened the PS RA by 1/2” and reset the Caster/Camber. It’s sitting at 5 deg passenger and 5.5 deg driver. Kinda stumped why it’s still pulling passenger.
So the Explorer axle went in, but it should be the same as the Ranger one, just different gears. Donor was a 98 Explorer and this is a 00 Ranger, so both were the A-arm torsion bar D-35s so I don’t think they were a different length like the D-28 and D-35 TTB fronts. Could be wrong though, I’ll have to check.

Not sure what to recommend as to why it’s still pulling passenger, I take it you checked the wheel bearings for play and the joints. Maybe the passenger brake is dragging?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
So the Explorer axle went in, but it should be the same as the Ranger one, just different gears. Donor was a 98 Explorer and this is a 00 Ranger, so both were the A-arm torsion bar D-35s so I don’t think they were a different length like the D-28 and D-35 TTB fronts. Could be wrong though, I’ll have to check.

Not sure what to recommend as to why it’s still pulling passenger, I take it you checked the wheel bearings for play and the joints. Maybe the passenger brake is dragging?
Oh in that case, they should be the same length. I assumed it was TTB.

Checked the bearings and readjusted them. Passenger side brake drags slightly more than driver but not enough to really cause a concern. The slides are cleaned and lubed also. If I spin the tires while it’s jacked up, the driver side will spin 1-2 revolutions more. I may need to bleed the brakes… I’ll try that tonight after dinner.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
View attachment 86123

Got some yellow diode dynamics LED fog bulbs in yesterday, got a good deal on them from a member on 5g. 130$ reg price and I stole them for 60$ shipped.

Working on getting a pair of the eibach 1" lift blocks off another member over there now.

I think fog lights are a waste of money. The only thing they do is light up the fog.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

It looks like you got lost in the dark on the way home from Bigfoot's cabin.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals