• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
you can still get into photobucket but they won't let you download the pics, or link them anywhere without paying for an account.

i hadn't used it in 10 or so years too but they sent me an email saying i need to log in to keep my photos from being deleted, about 3 weeks ago. i did and they were all still on there but not useable without a paying membership

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check for a vacuum leak, I don’t remember details of your truck but I had a 93 4.0 that did that, ended up being the fuel rail gasket. It had pulled in at the front & rear. I had pictures but they are on photobucket and its been so ling since I quit using them Im not sure they exist or how to access them now. I probably discussed it all here but its been many years ago (10-ish?)
It's holding the idle up to the speed the engine was at before I released the clutch. It doesn't go down until I come to a stop. However, if I'm going slow the idle sometimes goes up when I release the clutch before going back down again. I'm sure it is something from the throttle body to the air filter box. Those are the only things I did anything with. Anway, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the clip that locks the connector turned into plastic powder when I touched it. That's what hot summers do to plastic and rubber parts. It made me start wondering if coating plastic connectors and rubber parts with something like Sil-Glyde would work as a preservative. I have the connector held on with a zip tie. I may make a trip the the local pull it yourself boneyard and get a connector there, if I can find one in good shape. Application cross references state the same connector is used on many Ford an Mazda vehicles after about 2000. If that fails, Rockauto has them.

I ordered a cheap bluetooth OBD2 scanner. It probably has cloned ELM327 chip, but it will do what I need it to do right now. When I get the time I'll do some research and try to find one with a real ELM327 if the one I ordered has some shortcomings.

Isk Stark

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
5"
Tire Size
Hauled a floor jack and toolbox up to my friends house to change the oil in his Honda Odyssey. His wife put about 10 quarts of oil in it because it has a small oil leak.

She genuinely thought an engine could never have too much oil. I explained the engine mechanics to them, but he is an actual philosopher (PhD in philosophy), so I’m not sure if my explanation was taken as theoretical or practical. 😂

I pray that they take these life lessons to heart and realize the importance of taking better care of their autos.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Put a on/in a new used ECM, intake tube, alternator and repinned the oil pressure sensor wire to work. She’s running like a factory vehicle now. I’m also going to install a new T-stat today because the new one that’s in it is sticking, causing the temp to get up to 210 deg which reads as too hot on the gauge.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It's holding the idle up to the speed the engine was at before I released the clutch. It doesn't go down until I come to a stop. However, if I'm going slow the idle sometimes goes up when I release the clutch before going back down again. I'm sure it is something from the throttle body to the air filter box. Those are the only things I did anything with. Anway, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the clip that locks the connector turned into plastic powder when I touched it. That's what hot summers do to plastic and rubber parts. It made me start wondering if coating plastic connectors and rubber parts with something like Sil-Glyde would work as a preservative. I have the connector held on with a zip tie. I may make a trip the the local pull it yourself boneyard and get a connector there, if I can find one in good shape. Application cross references state the same connector is used on many Ford an Mazda vehicles after about 2000. If that fails, Rockauto has them.

I ordered a cheap bluetooth OBD2 scanner. It probably has cloned ELM327 chip, but it will do what I need it to do right now. When I get the time I'll do some research and try to find one with a real ELM327 if the one I ordered has some shortcomings.
IAC might be stuck.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
IAC might be stuck.
The IAC is doing what it is told to do. If there is a vacuum leak the IAC will attempt to compensate by closing and reducing air flow. If the vacuum leak is large enough the IAC will not be able to bring the idle down to the specified range, a code will appear stating the IAC is unable to compensate. If a sensor is sending the incorrect data the PCM which then tells the IAC to do something, such as allow more air into the engine to help compensate for a rich mixture due to the MAF or the TPS sending data stating the volume of air or the throttle is operating at a greater value than it should be. The idle also goes down to normal at a complete stop which is due to the speed sensor indicating I'm not moving and the PCM sending that data to the IAC.

Isk Stark

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
5"
Tire Size
Removed the redneck 2x4 “tailgate.” Rattle canned the factory tailgate flat black. Ace spray paint actually lays down fantastically. I think I like it better than Rusto. Only time will tell if it’s any good. Purchased a 2” lowering block kit at Advanced. Hope to get it installed this evening. Old U-boats are looking pretty rusty. Might even hang out underneath to do some rust treatments.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The IAC is doing what it is told to do. If there is a vacuum leak the IAC will attempt to compensate by closing and reducing air flow. If the vacuum leak is large enough the IAC will not be able to bring the idle down to the specified range, a code will appear stating the IAC is unable to compensate. If a sensor is sending the incorrect data the PCM which then tells the IAC to do something, such as allow more air into the engine to help compensate for a rich mixture due to the MAF or the TPS sending data stating the volume of air or the throttle is operating at a greater value than it should be. The idle also goes down to normal at a complete stop which is due to the speed sensor indicating I'm not moving and the PCM sending that data to the IAC.
I was just going to mention the speed sensor as I've heard of others with that solving things... if there's a bit of goo on the tip it could be noisy... that could be taken wrong, I'm tired, you get what you get :)

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was just going to mention the speed sensor as I've heard of others with that solving things... if there's a bit of goo on the tip it could be noisy... that could be taken wrong, I'm tired, you get what you get :)

Since the problem started immediately after cleaning the throttle body, I'm sure it is something I did and likely not a sensor issue. Unless I the throttle body cleaner did something to the TPS.

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
I just ordered a Flowmaster FX Muffler for my 93 Ranger 4.0hh. Gonna get ready to Rumble.
I'm stoked. It says it doesn't fit my Ranger, but I have my doubts.

Screenshot_20220429-194339_Chrome.jpg

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Nothing to the ranger other than drive it here. Was my first time seeing the 4 wides tho. And I must say I'm highly impressed. I tried to upload a small video of 4 wide launch. But it wouldn't take

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
That looks awesome to watch. I have never heard of four wide

The ranger killed it another Friday night and Saturday. Drove to kingsville with the other cars but they were going to fast, I was bouncing off the governor so I need to take that off somehow. 92 almost got me in trouble at one turn because I couldn't go faster to get out of the way.

And then after all the bike event stuff Saturday morning, I got a super deal on a front load washer and dryer combo, 200 bucks. So we ran to the island and loaded them up. I did not know front loader washers are almost three man lifts though and make the truck squat down. But having all that weight in the back made it ride like a Cadillac

Attachments

TruckTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
1.5”
Swapped out my flasher relay for a new one that allows LED’s to function properly instead of the hyper flash. Cleaned my EGR Valve. Debated about deleting it as I was trying to tighten the locking collar nut up against the firewall. Today going to attempt the fuel pump and filler neck hose. Happy Sunday y’all!

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
superj; Most front loaders have a big mass dampener-the one on mine is concrete…..

-Jazzer

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just used the CB antenna on my Ranger to totally splatter a fluorescent light bulb in the garage when I pulled it to get at my vacuum to clean up F-150A.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals