• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Great blue herons, Ahingas, and Vultures.

Actually, I think that the paint bubbled from the heat and it popped from the wind.

Luckily the touch up paint looks great from 50 feet away.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I don’t remember if I tried putting it in neutral or not. I was rolling around in low range. I THINK it may have been bound up because I was pointed up hill and I couldn’t get the T-case into neutral. I don’t remember if I tried to put the T-case into neutral after I jerked it so it was facing out.

If I had a flatbed on my f-350, I’d have tried putting the front tires up on the bed and strapping it down, to get it out to the trailer. But now, the snow is all rotten and this kept happening. View attachment 72072

I’d be goin along when the frozen track would slough off, sucking the front into the banks. Coupled with a wash boarded trail, due to someone else in a bobcat a few weeks ago and it’s slow going.

What trans? Are you sure it's broke?

I would put a trans in and drive it out if it's broke...

Otherwise...

Bolt two hoods together and bolt some supins to it and strap to that.

Chains on the sd....

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
What trans? Are you sure it's broke?

I would put a trans in and drive it out if it's broke...

Otherwise...

Bolt two hoods together and bolt some supins to it and strap to that.

Chains on the sd....
Well it won’t shift. I tried putting a screwdriver down and shifting the rails but I didn’t have any luck. I really don’t want to do a trans swap in the snow. I plan to put a m5od in it but don’t want to be chasing parts back and forth from up there.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Worked it.
12 60 pound bags if cold patch.
If you haven’t already figured it out, the best way to do cold patch repairs to a driveway is to tamp it down good, then cover it in sand and tamp that in. Keep sand on it for a few months and try not to turn any tires or park on the patch for a few months. We did patches like that at our old house and they held up great

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you haven’t already figured it out, the best way to do cold patch repairs to a driveway is to tamp it down good, then cover it in sand and tamp that in. Keep sand on it for a few months and try not to turn any tires or park on the patch for a few months. We did patches like that at our old house and they held up great
What he really needs is a Wacker...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Soo, I decided that since it was a little warmer I’d try to see if I could get some work done to the green Ranger. Finally pulled the harmonic balancer and it slid off nice and easy with a puller. Pulled all the rest of the bolts for the timing cover, double checked, started wiggling it free and SNAP. So that’s now broken and the timing chain is, of course, stretched. At that point I decided that was enough for the day.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Washed it, drove it home and kicked up a bald eagle eating a roadkill raccoon on the side of the road.

Thermometer quit on the way to the roundup, never had much time to do much to it. Tried to replace the temp sensor over the weekend and it changed nothing (had to pull the grille etc)

Reached up tonight on a whim and the connector was just loose in the back of the mirror.

The compass and auto dim worked all along so I never really questioned the connector.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Soo, I decided that since it was a little warmer I’d try to see if I could get some work done to the green Ranger. Finally pulled the harmonic balancer and it slid off nice and easy with a puller. Pulled all the rest of the bolts for the timing cover, double checked, started wiggling it free and SNAP. So that’s now broken and the timing chain is, of course, stretched. At that point I decided that was enough for the day.
That was a good stopping point. You wouldn't want to run out if cuss words all in one day.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I put a Thorton chip in it. Just drove 12 miles. I'm not expecting any surprises.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Just tried something. My exhaust system on the ranger is a mess, crack in middle of converter shell, all joints are connected with flashing tin wrapped around them & tightened with stainless worm gear hose clamps. Well- at work we use this high-temp slicone like adhesive to join breaker cores to sand core sleeves. Its expensive stuff, comes in a 4 gallon bucket and is supposedly $400 a bucket. When a bucket is changed out theres a little left over, cant do anything with it, just wasted and the bucket gets tossed or sometimes someone will take one home, peel out the glue once it’s dried and have a bucket for whatever purpose. A month ago the exhaust came apart on the hhr where I removed a resonator a few years back and put a straight pipe in its place, the adapter I used had rusted apart. So I smeared some flashing tin with this stuff and wrapped the two halves of the exhaust back together, hose clamps again like Ive rigged on the ranger. Its held up so Ive decided to try it on the ranger. Its sticky, hard to get off your hands. But we will see how it holds up. Dont know much about this glue, brand name is “Valco” all it says on the bucket is “valco-aluminum “. I think the aluminum is just a color reference, since this is normally used in a foundry setting Im thinking it might work well for exhaust patching. I emptied a bucket today at work and its almost 40 outside so seemed like a good time to try it out, its been holding up ok on the car (which still has a functional catalytic converter) In about a month the oil will get changed on the car and the truck will be back on the road as my daily driver, should be plenty of time for this glue to cure. I didnt give the car much cure time, think it sat over the weekend. I have no idea how long the glued sand cores at work sit between assembly to when they get put in to use at a foundry. A lot of our product that use this adhesive go to laredo texas so that’s probably a good week between being made and being used. Be nice if the truck was a little quieter. Id replace the whole thing but Id need a manifold too and I cant find a good 94 2.3 manifold so its rigged the best I can. I think Ive just spent more time typing all this than it took to put that goop on my exhaust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals