• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
If only it would be cold, been a wet muddy mess, rained all day christmas eve, no rain for 2 days now raining again. Sure there could be a ton of snow but Im prepared. Winter tires on everything, 3-point blade out back for the tractor in the garage & the ranger has 4 -40 pound bags of softner salt in the back. Wasnt intended for weight, just didnt have a place to put them so let them be & tossed a heavy rubber mat on top so I could still use the bed. If I were to back in to the yard it would surely sink though.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nothin but a whole lotta rain here
187B1A66-F450-4A74-83BD-6249D02D1469.jpeg

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
@racsan Guys here gave me great instructions about poor heat. I had no thermostat at all in mine when I got it. Put in 190-195 thermostat w/ new gasket per instructions, to start off, and did back flushing with hot vinegar, also, reverse the heater core hoses after. Mine was under 100F before I started and after the work it was topping 130F. Measurement depends on having the engine fully warm also depends on ambient temp, but absent any specific figure, it should feel quite warm and should warm up the cab pretty quickly. I think the spec is 130-135, but the main thing is you should feel it really warm as there's a big difference between 100 and 130.

Changing the thermostat in mine didn't help that much (got like 110) and that's when I did the flush, which really worked.

Can also be other things wrong but from what you said, you have to start with the right thermostat and get the system clean. Take off radiator hose at bottom and flush the engine and radiator too. Do enough flush that you see basically clean water coming out.

Test the coolant with bulb tester after, some water remains in the system so you might want to top off with non-diluted antifreeze.

Get 5/8" hoses from store or you can use scrap garden hose if i.d. is ok. I run a piece from the core down under the truck then I can see what is coming out. Get white vinegar at the grocery store and heat it up in the microwave. I flushed reverse and forwards a couple times and I could see all kind of crap coming out.

When engine is warm it should read, I believe, almost half in the bracketed range.

There are a bunch of posts on this you can find, but I think I covered most of it there. Oh, you probably want a rubber cork so you can stop up one side of the core so you can leave the hot vinegar in there like fifteen minutes to work, then put on the hose and flush. Drain hose to under truck not necessary but really nice so stuff doesn't go all over the place.

Other really good thing to have is a hose clamp pliers, that will speed things up, the ones that have the ratchet, it makes it super easy to manipulate the clamps on/off and they don't slip off the clamps like slip joint pliers do. Also have a funnel to pour the vinegar in a short hose connected to the core.

When it's working right you should feel a noticeable difference in temp between the in side and the out side of the core, otherwise, it's not pulling heat out. Core is non-directional so flushing reverse is what you want to do... I flushed both ways... then connect them up reversed.

I also had to replace heater fan resistors as I had only high speed but that's easy to do, though I did have to replace the pigtail as connectors were shot to h. Nothing to do with the heater core, but it's nice to not have fan always on high.

If your core is clean/working and your thermostat is good you should then have heat. If not, check heater mix door operation and that valve that allows hot water to core is working. Chances are all that stuff is good on yours (we hope) and if you get the thermostat in and the core clean, I bet you'll have nice heat.

With things off you can actually hear the mix door moving, also, when running, you should feel it make a difference hot/cold in it. But first, I'd do the thermostat and good flush before worrying about anything else.

Hope that helps, and like I said there's a bunch of posts on it from the guys that gave me the good instructions that worked great.

Also, some settings of the vents cause the a/c to dry the air first, but if you put it on dash vents only I think that does not go thru a/c first. Just mentioning that as it might affect the output temp somewhat.

Other guys here know more about it... but following what they told me to do, mine works great now.

Probably you want to take off air tube when you change thermostat, might not be necessary, but makes it easier. Clean off any old Permatex-type stuff someone may have put on it. New gasket should seal fine, of course, check it for leaks... I changed that out and tested for leaks prior to doing the flush so I wouldn't waste good coolant, though, you really don't lose a whole lot in the changing of it, I think.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got the Hayes repair manual for it.
It’s good for torque specs (if you care about that) and sopping up oil and grease and not much else :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 69807

Braved the first decent snow of the year. Truely impressed with these general grabber A/Ts i just put on. No weight in the bed in a decent little coating of slick wet snow and i never even spun a tire. Even up the hill by my house that was usually a sideways affair.
I really like mine and was happy to see our new Bronco comes with them too.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
View attachment 69807

Braved the first decent snow of the year. Truely impressed with these general grabber A/Ts i just put on. No weight in the bed in a decent little coating of slick wet snow and i never even spun a tire. Even up the hill by my house that was usually a sideways affair.
Damn lucky you did not upgrade to a Briggs and Stratton under the hood....you would have wiped out for sure. 😃

I keed I kid....

The grabbers are turning out to be high value. Especially for 14 and 15 in wheels. I am looking at them for the bronco right now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn lucky you did not upgrade to a Briggs and Stratton under the hood....you would have wiped out for sure. 😃

I keed I kid....

The grabbers are turning out to be high value. Especially for 14 and 15 in wheels. I am looking at them for the bronco right now.
Happy hunting, our suppliers can't get them atm.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
There were only two decent meaty tires i found for 14's (except DOT rated side by side tires, wasnt gonna attempt that though it did cross my mind)....

kumho mud venture and the general grabbers. I thought hard about tryin the kumhos, they were about 20 cheaper a tire....but ive had bad luck running M/Ts in the snow. These generals seem to bite good in both mud and snow. If i woulda known they were as good as they are i would looked for a 16inch load E for the F250 instead of the BFG's A/Ts i put on it. Pry woulda saved a few bucks

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Muds suck on pavement.

All terrains all the way for general duty.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Happy hunting, our suppliers can't get them atm.
Yeah ....for new in the size I need...those iron man's are all that's in stock under 800.

Junk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm fearing the 33x10.50x15's are quickly becoming a thing of the past. A couple places have removed BFG Mud terrains and Cepek Extreme Countries from their website.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Watcha lookin for?
35s for the bronco. Coopers are real high. Might just keep 33 for now...but if I go to 513 gears gonna need 35 or 37.

The at coops 1100... Not bad. But too many projects that need the 400 bux.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not a Cooper fan, especially in the AT3 flavor.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
There were only two decent meaty tires i found for 14's (except DOT rated side by side tires, wasnt gonna attempt that though it did cross my mind)....

kumho mud venture and the general grabbers. I thought hard about tryin the kumhos, they were about 20 cheaper a tire....but ive had bad luck running M/Ts in the snow. These generals seem to bite good in both mud and snow. If i woulda known they were as good as they are i would looked for a 16inch load E for the F250 instead of the BFG's A/Ts i put on it. Pry woulda saved a few bucks

Muds suck on pavement.

All terrains all the way for general duty.

So I have been running these on my F-350 for a year now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Tires-Wrangler-Authority-A-T-All-Season-LT265-75R16-123Q-Tire/36276799

I have around 20k miles on them and they’re about half life now. I’m extremely happy with their performance, especially when aired down to 30 psi. I have drove in 3’ of snow, through ice, mud, rocks (driving up creek beds) and sand while lion hunting. The only thing that slowed them down was the ice. Even then, they did better than any other tire I have had. I just wish they made them in a 33/12.50/ r16. I highly recommend them for any truck running stock size tires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals