What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lmavin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xl
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Well, I put in an order for new ucas and shocks. Waiting for Doetsch's casting place to open back up so I can get my spindles made.
Also I am sitting here in my garage staring at the truck debating ordering a chrome grill or not... hmmm
20200601_123721.jpg

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, I put in an order for new ucas and shocks. Waiting for Doetsch's casting place to open back up so I can get my spindles made.
Also I am sitting here in my garage staring at the truck debating ordering a chrome grill or not... hmmmView attachment 43251..
Maybe chrome with black accents. 🤷‍♂️

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
I bought a set of gray 60/40 seats from a junkyard '01 Ranger and put them in my crawler yesterday - I've had tan seats in it for years and the gray ones look better with my blue/black interior. I put the tan seats in my daily driver '88. My poor old bench seat was just intolerably broken, it's weird not feeling like I'm sitting in a hole.

Will say, I do not like modifying these new seats. The tracks and reclining deal are all connected together. Found that it's easier to disassemble the whole seat rather than try to modify the tracks and brackets to fit the floor. I like the older seats where the tracks just bolt on to the bottom... MUCH easier to work with.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought a set of gray 60/40 seats from a junkyard '01 Ranger and put them in my crawler yesterday - I've had tan seats in it for years and the gray ones look better with my blue/black interior. I put the tan seats in my daily driver '88. My poor old bench seat was just intolerably broken, it's weird not feeling like I'm sitting in a hole.

Will say, I do not like modifying these new seats. The tracks and reclining deal are all connected together. Found that it's easier to disassemble the whole seat rather than try to modify the tracks and brackets to fit the floor. I like the older seats where the tracks just bolt on to the bottom... MUCH easier to work with.
......ive had a set of those in my basement for a year, and CANNOT give them away.

Ugh.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Also I am sitting here in my garage staring at the truck debating ordering a chrome grill or not... hmmmView attachment 43251..
If you didn't live in Canada, I'd trade you my chrome grill for your black one.

G8orFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
......ive had a set of those in my basement for a year, and CANNOT give them away.

Ugh.
If I was closer and they are in good shape, I'd probably take them. Just got a quote for re-upholsering both front seats today. First place I went to wanted $1800 to do both seats. Stopped by another shop on the way home and the old guy said he'd do them for $400. He's going to re-use the sides and such and just replace the middle parts. That's fine with me since the only thing that's really wrong with them is the typical wear holes in the driver's side and some staining on both. It won't be the original fabric, but it's very close and I think it actually looks better.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I was closer and they are in good shape, I'd probably take them. Just got a quote for re-upholsering both front seats today. First place I went to wanted $1800 to do both seats. Stopped by another shop on the way home and the old guy said he'd do them for $400. He's going to re-use the sides and such and just replace the middle parts. That's fine with me since the only thing that's really wrong with them is the typical wear holes in the driver's side and some staining on both. It won't be the original fabric, but it's very close and I think it actually looks better.
Upholstery on these is like new. Took them apart, washed them in my wringer, reassembled.

Dirtman

I pooped in the furnace
Supporting Member
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
RUM HAM!!!
I kicked it and walked away in disgust.

G8orFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Upholstery on these is like new. Took them apart, washed them in my wringer, reassembled.
Well, we've got the "good shape" part covered, that distance thing is a problem though.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, we've got the "good shape" part covered, that distance thing is a problem though.
I have a FedEx commercial account.... shipping is rather cheP for me 👍🏿

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

G8orFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

sgtsandman

Aircraft Tank Diver
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I sniff fuel for a living. Don't judge me!
Just keep in mind that the chrome plated plastic doesn’t hold up like the old chrome plated metal. Up close, mine is pretty pitted and has a couple scratched.

So, it looks good from afar but is far from good.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Just keep in mind that the chrome plated plastic doesn’t hold up like the old chrome plated metal. Up close, mine is pretty pitted and has a couple scratched.

So, it looks good from afar but is far from good.
Nobody has made a metal grill since Dirtman killed all the dinosaurs.