• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The new infotainment system looks great, but one of the things I like about my Ranger is being able to play CDs. Most new cars don't have CD players even as an option any more. Guess I'm a dinosaur.
Not quite. If you were a dinosaur, you would be playing 8-tracks in your Ranger.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Well I had high hopes of getting the trans from the other doner explorer pulled today but instead I spent 5 hours cursing who ever was the last one to touch the bell housing bolts, seriously I curse them and all their desendants, I wish them an eternity of fighting. Over torqued, rounded, bolts with thread locker, and no room to work. I was down to the last bolt and about to give up my arms felt like spaghetti, my back was on fire from leaning over the engine so long, well I smacked a 6 sided 12mm on which I'm sure u know how hard that was at the top of the bell housing, and got on it with my ratcheting breaker bar, and out she came. Now I like a tight bolt but 15000 ugadugas is too much, so I guess I'll get it pulled tomorrow, than I plan to pop in an fm ? Out of a b2 just to keep it a self powerd roller. Still need to figure out why it runs terribly. But I'm building my truck first lol.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Today I used the ranger as a tire-bead breaker. one of the tires from my trailer had a bad valve stem, happened to have a new one but didnt want to pay a place $10 just to break the bead down & put a new valve in. So with a couple of small jacks & a small chain (so I wasnt raising the truck while trying to push the bead down) I got it all done in a hour. the old ford tire change jack worked great, rather then use the 4ft handle I used a screwdriver with a ratchet wrench on the hex right below the handle
View attachment 65340View attachment 65341
I like to use a high lift jack for breaking beads. I put it in the hitch receiver and get after it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
As much as I hated to do it, I took the 92 to a shop and had them look at the front end because of vibration and stuff. Turns out the left tie rod end is bad but it took them a hot minute and three techs to find it. So I don’t feel too bad about it. I’ll probably deal with that this weekend. They balanced and rotated the tires too. Made a big difference just doing that because I can feel the tie rod end in the wheel now instead of random vibration

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Well I'm back out to pull the trans today, got a late start. The machine shop called and said my heads were ready, man they are nice had to buy some new casting heads, and he had to replace one bent valve total cost 880$ was a little more than I'd hoped for but I feel it was still a good deal.

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Got new Moser spool, axles and c-clip eliminator all together now. I just need to put gear oil in the rearend, bleed the brakes and put the wheels back on.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Discovered the right factory running board that was installed on the truck when new has serious rust. Actually pulled it off the truck to get a good look. Am starting another thread to discuss. The driver's side running board looks okay.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
typically the passenger side (and related right side accessories) rust worse and quicker than the drivers side due to the road being higher at the center line so the rain/salt goes to the side of the road.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
typically the passenger side (and related right side accessories) rust worse and quicker than the drivers side due to the road being higher at the center line so the rain/salt goes to the side of the road.
Makes sense. This was a southeastern Virginia truck, sold new in Hampton, Va., and should not have been exposed to that much salt, but you never know. Of course, being near the sea doesn't help. At least it wasn't a beach truck!

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
I got the 5spd out I was really hoping the clutch was gonna be in good shape so I don't have to buy one, I need one for the truck and one for the explorer. I guess putting a used clutch in would have been half arsed anyway. I'll post pics of the new heads in a bit. I need to buy new rocker arms though and should probably get push rods as well.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Went to a tractor pull event today, asked the wife if she wanted to pull the '00 Explorer again and she of course said yes so I gave it a 3 minute wash with the car wash brush so we could see out of the windows on the way there since it hasn't been driven in a few months. She pulled 240ish ft down the track and we made it home. The fact that the passenger side motor mount isn't attached to the engine apparently didn't matter. Hopefully I'll get to pull the engine this winter and fix that little issue...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
V8? On the passenger side you can access both mounting plate bolts on the passenger side pretty easily. I installed my engine with that plate down on the motor mount since the header makes the plate to mount bolts inaccessible. Once the engine was dropped in i went back and ran the bolts through the plate into the block.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
20210911_214951.jpg

New heads anyone ever heard of cific heads I tried looking them up and couldn't find much other than a bad website lol. But i guess if the owner of the machine shop thinks there good ill trust him. Also my rocker arms ate worn would you guys buy new melling arms or have delta cams weld and regrind.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals