• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It has carpet now, I WISH it had a rubber floor...

What trim? There's not much in the way of trim that I've seen different on stuff other than the cloth or vinyl inserts on the door panels (have one of each to keep it interesting). About everything I've seen in junkyards aside from Explorer limited's that have the fake wood grain have been the normal black plastic... I guess it doesn't matter, I've seen like 5 different seats, almost everything has grey interior, haven't seen any extended cabs with anything but carpet... I'll just keep doing like I've done with the '90 and add the random options that I think I might like :). It was a fleet model and now has bucket seats, tach, etc...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
washed mine for the first time in a long while, took it grocery shopping too, she was off with the escape and normally Id take the hhr for a grocery trip but the truck needed gas anyhow and rather then make a 2nd trip in to town I just took the ranger, theres a car wash across from meijers so I sprayed it down, front was very buggy and rest was quite dusty. It rode a lot better on the way home since part of the shopping trip included 5-40 pound bags of softner salt.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Finally got the motor yanked from the red Ranger. Gave it a bit of a look over and not sure what happened. Both sides and the back of the block are soaked in oil, almost like it fountained oil. No obvious cracks or holes in anything. It was running out of somewhere because it left a trail of oil.

Started work on cleaning up a few things in the engine bay, pulled the starter harness and rebuilt it with welding cable to replace the battery wire, and made a parts run. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the work in the engine bay and get the replacement dropped in.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Mine took me exploring with a buddy after work today. Explored a road that we've been down in the past after a storm and was washed out. Was in way better shape this time. Made it super easy but still fun.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

What trim? There's not much in the way of trim that I've seen different on stuff other than the cloth or vinyl inserts on the door panels (have one of each to keep it interesting). About everything I've seen in junkyards aside from Explorer limited's that have the fake wood grain have been the normal black plastic... I guess it doesn't matter, I've seen like 5 different seats, almost everything has grey interior, haven't seen any extended cabs with anything but carpet... I'll just keep doing like I've done with the '90 and add the random options that I think I might like :). It was a fleet model and now has bucket seats, tach, etc...
The carpeting was the big one. As for the trim, I was over thinking it and got it confused with the high end Explorers and F-150s.

What about a chrome grille? Do you have that?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It has the chrome strip at top that is of course broken in the middle :)

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Stupid question, but this thing is technically a "sport" being a no frills cloth 60/40 seat/vinyl door panel (passenger side at least, the factory door), AM/FM, 4 cylinder manual extended cab 5 speed no A/C. So far I've added a cassette stereo, tach cluster, have the wing windows for the rear sides and a slider for the back. What else would push it to a different trim class?
There are no dumb questions. Only silly inquisitors.

Flex seal the carpet.

What else would push it to a different trim class?
New owner/neighborhood?

Just trying to be helpful.

I’m jealous. Did they make the flip out windows for a 97 extended cab?

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Used the Ranger to launch my boat for the first time for crabbing. The backup camera really came in handy for hitching up but not that helpful for backing up a trailer. The Rangers' shorter wheelbase compared to my E350 took some getting used to but visibility is great.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got the tans back into the red one, but I was short some gaskets for the exhaust and the ATF for the trans so it didn’t get started.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Took the 2011 to the Sportsman's Club to play "Chainsaw Hero" and get some wood for to replace the firewood used while camping. It helped them out and me out at the same time.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
put a 3.0 engine back in my 2000 4x4. not all hooked up yet but at least it's in there.
used a chain hoist attached to the cherry picker. definitely helped since I was alone.
I was able to raise & lower the engine while lying on my back under the truck.
plus when the engine is hanging on 3 feet of chain it can be moved around quite a bit, it just won't stay where you put it.
when I couldn't get a good view of the torque converter stud I grabbed the optical probe for a better view.

spoiler alert: using a 2 foot long adjustable lift bar is useless in a small engine compartment.
it hit the firewall when I needed to tilt the engine reward.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You've got those seats backwards. The 60% side is supposed to be the driver's seat.

If you install them correctly (60% side on the driver's side, 40% side on the passenger's side) those are comfortable seats. I had them in my '91.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You've got those seats backwards. The 60% side is supposed to be the driver's seat.

If you install them correctly (60% side on the driver's side, 40% side on the passenger's side) those are comfortable seats. I had them in my '91.
Well that totally explains why the passenger door wouldn't go shut...

I got them from my FIL' s '91, they were comfy in there but I worry about first to second gen dash differences.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There are no dumb questions. Only silly inquisitors.

Flex seal the carpet.

New owner/neighborhood?

Just trying to be helpful.

I’m jealous. Did they make the flip out windows for a 97 extended cab?
Someone a while back was saying these windows will go in any year extended cab, my trim has the flat spots for the latches... I pulled the windows from a '93 or '94 so I'm sure they'll fit. I'm hoping the holes for the hinge springs are in the cab, if not I'll have to get a little inventive...

Out driving today the '97 developed a rattle in the passenger door with the window down part way... the rear window track must be loose...

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Spent yesterday working on the red one. Got a parts delivery (commercial account, I can have them bring it to me, lol), and spent a ridiculous amount of time taking care of some little stuff like the broken evap line (seriously, on that it’s plastic or rubber except a like 2’ long piece of metal, which of course rotted, it’s rubber now). Rebuilt the starter harness/grounds and made a new alternator charge wire (4ga welding cable). Couple other little things and changed the torque converter. Got the engine in the engine bay and one bell housing bolt started so I don’t lose what I have, but fought with it till dark trying to get the rest of it lined up and jammed together. Going to take another stab at it today. Want to get it bolted up and get the top of the motor put back together before we get any significant rain. Can’t wait to have a garage to work on this stuff in

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals