• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yesterday after work I put in the new to me cassette deck and radio surround, it was filthy so I grabbed a coffee can of soapy water and a rag and cleaned up the stereo and such then just kept going... cleaned up the dash, steering wheel, door panels some, got the grease spot off the armrest then washed the exterior glass...

Tonight I got home late from work but decided to tackle putting in the new tach cluster. found a link showing what's needed to keep the original speedo (it's easy, not as easy as the '89-94 cluster design...). While in there I found the ruminants of an alarm... of course it was a crappy install but at least it wasn't doing anything! While in there I deleted that, only had to splice one wire. It even works, will be interesting to see my shifting habits, and will be helpful in teaching the wife how to drive stick...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So yesterday we got done with work early, so I figured I’d get to work on the red Ranger. Got home, borrowed dad’s torches, cut the one exhaust bolt, broke the last bell housing bolt free and was unscrewing it when a storm hit. I ended up perched on the core support of the 92 holding onto the pop up canopy I was using for a sun shade while the wind blew in classic cyclonic fashion with lots of thunder, lightning rain and hail. I got pelted pretty good and soaked to the skin. When it let up I looked around at the damage and called it a day. Lost several trees between both properties, nothing really damaged though. Called my boss and working a half day today so I can do storm cleanup and maybe I can get the motor pulled on the red one soon. Starting to feel like the planets are aligned against me or something, lol. Should have been a simple thing to swap motors, I’ve done it enough, lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
So yesterday we got done with work early, so I figured I’d get to work on the red Ranger. Got home, borrowed dad’s torches, cut the one exhaust bolt, broke the last bell housing bolt free and was unscrewing it when a storm hit. I ended up perched on the core support of the 92 holding onto the pop up canopy I was using for a sun shade while the wind blew in classic cyclonic fashion with lots of thunder, lightning rain and hail. I got pelted pretty good and soaked to the skin. When it let up I looked around at the damage and called it a day. Lost several trees between both properties, nothing really damaged though. Called my boss and working a half day today so I can do storm cleanup and maybe I can get the motor pulled on the red one soon. Starting to feel like the planets are aligned against me or something, lol. Should have been a simple thing to swap motors, I’ve done it enough, lol
Any time somebody (even you) says "All ya gotta do is... It's simple. You'll be done in no time." Beware! Plan 4 x's the recommended amount of time for the job.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Stop playing with that ouija board and it will get better.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Any time somebody (even you) says "All ya gotta do is... It's simple. You'll be done in no time." Beware! Plan 4 x's the recommended amount of time for the job.
And another thing. If a member of management says that, just go ahead and. Assume the job is either

A. Nearly impossible.

Or

B. The stupidest idea in the universe.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Last night I had a light come on that I'd never seen on the dash before on the Ranger or either of my Explorers... the "Check Fuel Cap" light... didn't know that was a thing... that bulb got removed. If that is a thing on the old dash, that bulb is burnt out since the fuel fill hose is broken...

That brings me to this morning heading to work, I left early and it was pretty overcast so I had the headlights on and found the most important light burnt out... the 90-120mph zone of the speedo :). Kidding of course, but I'll fix it soon, the left turn signal bulb is also burnt out, conveniently I have a bulb for that from the fuel cap light...

Tach works, speedo reads the same, the rest of the gauges read the same so I'd call it a success other than my lack of foresight on getting 6 bulbs to replace what was there...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don’t remember having quite so much trouble pulling a motor before. I have, however, gone through difficulty with trying to service a motor before, like when I tried to do head gaskets and port heads and intakes on the choptop only to end up with a badly pitted cylinder because it rained overnight. I thought I planned on enough time, but every time I start to make progress on a project this year, things get badly derailed. I’m used to that sort of thing happening, but not at the frequency it’s been this year. Just feeling a little more bludgeoned than usual and it’s a little hard to keep trudging forwards like this.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
And another thing. If a member of management says that, just go ahead and. Assume the job is either

A. Nearly impossible.

Or

B. The stupidest idea in the universe.
C. Both A and B

FIFY

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t remember having quite so much trouble pulling a motor before. I have, however, gone through difficulty with trying to service a motor before, like when I tried to do head gaskets and port heads and intakes on the choptop only to end up with a badly pitted cylinder because it rained overnight. I thought I planned on enough time, but every time I start to make progress on a project this year, things get badly derailed. I’m used to that sort of thing happening, but not at the frequency it’s been this year. Just feeling a little more bludgeoned than usual and it’s a little hard to keep trudging forwards like this.
Too many projects at the same time?

I know if I plan too many projects out at the same time I get lost in the bs and nothing gets done.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I know that feeling well, The wheel horse needs belts, I bought a moped and ordered parts but have yet to work on it, the ford tractor needs a radiator and fuel shut off valve (both of which I have now) and the free porch swing I got last fall needs new canvas (which Ive yet to even look up) I did get the woods deck back on the allis (been meaning to since march) . Another layoff would almost help but part of things not getting done is it being so hot / humid out.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I know that feeling well, The wheel horse needs belts, I bought a moped and ordered parts but have yet to work on it, the ford tractor needs a radiator and fuel shut off valve (both of which I have now) and the free porch swing I got last fall needs new canvas (which Ive yet to even look up) I did get the woods deck back on the allis (been meaning to since march) . Another layoff would almost help but part of things not getting done is it being so hot / humid out.
But you're way up there in the colder climates.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
setting up plan B for putting the 3.0 back in. had to check for enough height with all the do-dads attached.
I'll have about 6" between the oil pan and radiator support with wheels on the ground.
since I'm going solo I'll need all the tricks I can conjure up.
a chain hoist is much more precise, and can be used from many different positions, including under the truck. :icon_thumby:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

I know if I plan too many projects out at the same time I get lost in the bs and nothing gets done.
Well, yes and no. I learned years ago about working too many projects at once and the dangers with that. I do have way too many projects, but I try to tackle only one at a time. When my green Ranger puked a transmission last year, that started the spiral. I was in a good position, not great, but good, to do the 5.0 swap I had been planning for. My girlfriend didn’t need her car at the time and I had my F-150. I knew the red Ranger ran and drove and I could fix it pretty easy and throw it on the road if all went to hell, which is pretty much where it ended up.

Ran into issues with the 5.0 swap, and more issues and the girlfriend needed her car back, finally threw a couple hours and parts at the red 92 and it went on the road. Fixed things only as it broke them so I could focus on the green one. Then the red one blew a motor. F-150 badly needed rust repair, but it’s been my daily. Tried returning to the green Ranger project and was quickly derailed again. Went back to throwing parts at the red one and it’s being reluctant. Speaking of, my hip is getting reluctant about working a clutch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals