• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your 2019 and up Ranger today?

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Oh.

Shrockworks is indeed out of business, too. They screwed over a lot of people.
Yeah I know a few personally. I wanted their stubby bumper kit but waited too long.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Tried to do a padslap on the rear today, just ended up getting right pissed.

Couldn't get the piston to compress. Absolutely will NOT spin clockwise. The apex of my "shitty day and way too late to be dealing with this" rage come about when THIS happened 🙃

20230322_180217.jpg

What's the G.D secret to getting these rear pistons to compress? I know I must be missing something stupid and I'm probably getting pissed for no reason... I even cracked the bleeder to see If that would help... nope... just made a mess.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Ok so from what I'm being told, the drivers side pistons on the new trucks depress counter-clockwise, and the passengers side clockwise.. apparently.

This makes the harbor freight kit i have 100% useless for the drivers side of the vehicle 😑 😒 as it will only depress a piston if it's wound clockwise. Stupid. Looks like I'll have to be off to find the type that goes on the end of a ratchet tomorrow morning and hopefully get the pads changed before it starts to rain.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have one of those ones that go on the end of a ratchet, slap it in a cordless drill and zip ‘er right in.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ok so from what I'm being told, the drivers side pistons on the new trucks depress counter-clockwise, and the passengers side clockwise.. apparently.

This makes the harbor freight kit i have 100% useless for the drivers side of the vehicle 😑 😒 as it will only depress a piston if it's wound clockwise. Stupid. Looks like I'll have to be off to find the type that goes on the end of a ratchet tomorrow morning and hopefully get the pads changed before it starts to rain.
You are correct. The kit I have has an adaptor for each side. I think they might even be marked for which side they go to but if they don’t, it doesn’t take much to figure out you have the wrong one.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Alright, gonna make those pistons my beetches today. Day off work. Up nice and early. Actually ate breakfast too! Weeeoooooo

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I finally finished right at noon, used the cube tool. Complete nightmare trying to get enough pressure on the pistons with the damn calipers mounted in the truck... needed to crack the bleeders pretty much wide open before they would budge. Honeymoon phase finally over after a little over 2 years 😔

The weather has been nice so I havnt started to find the source of my occasionally wet headliner.. but some sort of precipitation is supposed to be coming this weekend so that mission will start tomorrow. Aquired some fancy black goop that my buddy swears by, hoping it's just the 3rd brakelight. Really don't have the time or money for anything else right now.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Facebook Memories telling me that it was two years ago today that I got my truck.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Something is amiss with my truck I think..

The brakes were making noise out back, replaced the pads last week. Passenger side inside pad was down to the squeaker, but the rotors were fine to re-use. No gouges or scrapes or anything.. just the usual little lip from the edge of the pads. Hell.. now that I think about it.. they weren't even worn enough to start grinding like they were..

Didn't listen to the radio on the way home from work today and noticed the truck still sounds like complete ass 😑 it SOUNDS like the brakes are grinding themselves into oblivion.. I have a really hard time believing it's the brakes though.. below is why..

Right before winter I did a pad slap for someone who's brakes sounded like a rock crusher, and who's rotors very much looked like the rings of a tree.. only the grooves were much deeper lol. The pads I put on actually wore out last week and started to grind again.. that's how bad the rotors are.. Smoked the pads in probably less than 5k miles lol. Anyways... after I put the pads on those horrendus rotors, everything was nice and silent.

The grinding I'm hearing is most prevalent up to 40mph or so.. after that it gets mostly drowned out by tires/wind noise. I noticed that suspension travel increases the "aggressiveness" of the noise, as does acceleration. When hitting any sort of depression in the road and the suspension is compressing.. or even slowly accelerating, it sounds like the grinding gets quicker. When the suspension starts to extend again.. or I let off the gas.. the grinding sounds slower and less aggressive.

There's been a few folks who have had early failures of the center bearing on the driveshaft.. but this noise doesn't match up to my prior experience with shot center bearings.. theres no whirring or squeaking.. just awful grinding. Seemed tight enough when I crawled underneath and reefed on it too..

Few more folks have had trouble with bearings In their axles and got whole new assemblys from ford..

The only symptom I'm having is the grinding. No shudders or clunking or anything else.. rear end seems tight enough.. at a loss for the moment. I don't like the idea of putting the rear on jackstands in drive.. id much rather do that on a lift but I don't have the time to get it on a lift right now.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Two things.
Calipers dragging?

I’ve had trucks sat on stands while in drive, wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. I also had a concrete pad to do it on. Axe stands under the tubes.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Two things.
Calipers dragging?

I’ve had trucks sat on stands while in drive, wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. I also had a concrete pad to do it on. Axe stands under the tubes.
I don't believe they're dragging, no. Although the pistons WERE a complete PITA to depress, they spun&depressed smoothly so its not like they're starting to sieze or anything.

That's my issue.. I have a soggy early mud-season yard/driveway right now. I could load up my jack & stands and do it in the work parking lot though I suppose.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
did you feel your wheel hub after driving it?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
did you feel your wheel hub after driving it?

Just drove across town.. when I parked the truck the rear rotors were cool to the touch.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I could be an axle bearing. Did you do any water crossings while wheeling? Water could have gotten into the axle and things are rusting.

If not, it might be time to take advantage of the warranty and have the dealer look at it.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I could be an axle bearing. Did you do any water crossings while wheeling? Water could have gotten into the axle and things are rusting.

If not, it might be time to take advantage of the warranty and have the dealer look at it.
I've driven through literal puddles, and that's about it.

I brought my jackstands to work. Gonna put er up at the end of the day and see if I can get a better idea where this racket is coming from.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals