• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your 2019 and up Ranger today?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've driven through literal puddles, and that's about it.

I brought my jackstands to work. Gonna put er up at the end of the day and see if I can get a better idea where this racket is coming from.
Not water then.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Center bearing is making noise. I only let the truck idle while on the stands.. giving it any gas made the exhaust loud enough to not be able to hear anything else lol but yeah.. noise and bearings generally don't go together.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Center bearing is making noise. I only let the truck idle while on the stands.. giving it any gas made the exhaust loud enough to not be able to hear anything else lol but yeah.. noise and bearings generally don't go together.
Time to call up the dealer. Use that warranty. You paid for it.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Time to call up the dealer. Use that warranty. You paid for it.
*sigh* yep. Conveniently it's close enough to oil change time where I can hopefully get everything taken care of in one visit.

Or mabey ford will tell me they're not going to be able to get a new shaft for 3 months lol.. no idea if that bearing is serviceable or not. It wasn't on my last subaru.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
*sigh* yep. Conveniently it's close enough to oil change time where I can hopefully get everything taken care of in one visit.

Or mabey ford will tell me they're not going to be able to get a new shaft for 3 months lol.. no idea if that bearing is serviceable or not. It wasn't on my last subaru.
It wasn’t on my Honda CR-V either unless you had special tools.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
UPS “attempted” to deliver the PPE transmission pan on Tuesday. First, the driver couldn’t tell the difference between 1215 and 1216 and attempted to deliver the part to the wrong address. Second, it was a signature required delivery and the attempt was at about 9:30 in the morning. You know, when most people are at work. Third, so they take it to the closest UPS store. It’s not that far away but the place closes at 5:00 and I work 10 hours shifts.

So, I guess I have to wait until Saturday to sign for it and pick it up...

How do I know they tried to deliver it to the wrong address you ask? They left the “unable to deliver” slip on their door. It is also not the first time a delivery person dropped a package off at our house that was meant for the neighbor. Because, you know, 5 and 6 are so similar...

EDIT: We left work early enough today that I was able to get to the UPS store and get the pan. I’m happy with the finish and build quality of it. Now I wait for the filter and Mercon ULV to be delivered.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Changed the oil. Finally found the right spot to put the drain pan for removing the filter.
I think I'll start spending the extra money for K&N filters with the nut on the end.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Changed the transmission fluid and filter at 55,617. Later than I'd prefer by 25,617 miles but before the believed "change it or leave it" 60,000 mile wall that some have. The fluid didn't look to dark but darker than I'd like. The magnet on the pan and in the filter didn't have a lot of crap on it nor was the pan all that nasty on the inside. So, it looks like the transmission is in good shape.

I installed the PPE aluminum transmission pan. So, the next change won't be so messy. I managed to keep most of it in the catch basin with only a little missing and getting into the 3'x4' drip pan. Next time, it will be even less messy since the new pan has a drain plug.

I also changed the transfer case fluid. That was pretty darn dark. I don't know if it's just how the Mercon LV fluid wears or what. The magnet didn't have a lot of junk on it. So, we'll see what the fluid looks like next time. FYI, the drain and fill plug torx socket are the same size as the bed bolt sockets on the older Rangers. I never checked to see if the new Rangers use the same bed bolts. So, I already had the needed socket. But something to note for you all that haven't done the job yet. It's not the 3/8" drive socket like the older Rangers use.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Changed the transmission fluid and filter at 55,617. Later than I'd prefer by 25,617 miles but before the believed "change it or leave it" 60,000 mile wall that some have. The fluid look to dark but darker than I'd like. The magnet on the pan and in the filter didn't have a lot of crap on it nor was the pan all that nasty on the inside. So, it looks like the transmission is in good shape.
How did you fill it? What I've seen elsewhere is a little tiny hole on the side of the trans.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I used a hand pump to pump it in. Let me see if I can find it and link it. I used the hooked tube end that came with it to insert into the fill hole. There isn't a lot of room to get at the cap or the hole since the exhaust sits right next to it. I had to use the double wrench method to break it loose. Fordtechmakuloco recommends only snugging it up and not torquing the cap to the 52 lb-ft recommended in the manual.

EDIT: Here's the link to the Assenmacher Basic Drive Line Filling Set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HR1ZC0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, and the cap is 19mm. The heat shield nuts are 10mm, the stud bolts are 13mm, and the rest are 8mm.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Finally got to test out the Readylift add a leafs yesterday. I have to say I'm very happy. No more sag. I will have to get a 3 inch drop now instead of the 2. Trailer sat high in the front even weighted down with about 3500 lbs. Also the bounce in the rear end when hitting dips on the highway was way way better. Hardly even noticed them. Now if I can figure out how to keep the 20mpg I'd be golden haha
20230402_171929.jpg

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Well truck will hit 75k today on a work trip so did the PM yesterday a few hundred ahead of it. Opted to change spark plugs as well, I had gotten some new ones a few months back from a friend at a Ford dealer. Don't know what the interval is but man did the remind me of 04-07 5.4 plugs. Terrible dry screeching when removing and burn marks on the upper half of the porcelain. Odd? I anti-seized and torqued back to spec per google. But for warning others I wouldn't wait till 100k+. Super easy but corrosion would be bad I think.

IMG_20230402_144916190_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230402_144912307_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230402_145824952.jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Changed the transmission fluid and filter at 55,617. Later than I'd prefer by 25,617 miles but before the believed "change it or leave it" 60,000 mile wall that some have. The fluid didn't look to dark but darker than I'd like. The magnet on the pan and in the filter didn't have a lot of crap on it nor was the pan all that nasty on the inside. So, it looks like the transmission is in good shape.

I installed the PPE aluminum transmission pan. So, the next change won't be so messy. I managed to keep most of it in the catch basin with only a little missing and getting into the 3'x4' drip pan. Next time, it will be even less messy since the new pan has a drain plug.

I also changed the transfer case fluid. That was pretty darn dark. I don't know if it's just how the Mercon LV fluid wears or what. The magnet didn't have a lot of junk on it. So, we'll see what the fluid looks like next time. FYI, the drain and fill plug torx socket are the same size as the bed bolt sockets on the older Rangers. I never checked to see if the new Rangers use the same bed bolts. So, I already had the needed socket. But something to note for you all that haven't done the job yet. It's not the 3/8" drive socket like the older Rangers use.

Sending the fluid to Blackstone? I'd be more than happy to pay for the analysis for you.
Well truck will hit 75k today on a work trip so did the PM yesterday a few hundred ahead of it. Opted to change spark plugs as well, I had gotten some new ones a few months back from a friend at a Ford dealer. Don't know what the interval is but man did the remind me of 04-07 5.4 plugs. Terrible dry screeching when removing and burn marks on the upper half of the porcelain. Odd? I anti-seized and torqued back to spec per google. But for warning others I wouldn't wait till 100k+. Super easy but corrosion would be bad I think.

View attachment 90745View attachment 90744View attachment 90743
I know of at least one person who's gotten a new cylinder head because of spark plug corrosion for the #4 cylinder. Their truck didn't have an engine cover on it, and best they/their dealer could figure was that water was dripping right into the plug well from the seam in the cowl trim right above it.

I plan on having the dealer change mine before my warranty expires.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Sending the fluid to Blackstone? I'd be more than happy to pay for the analysis for you.

I know of at least one person who's gotten a new cylinder head because of spark plug corrosion for the #4 cylinder. Their truck didn't have an engine cover on it, and best they/their dealer could figure was that water was dripping right into the plug well from the seam in the cowl trim right above it.

I plan on having the dealer change mine before my warranty expires.
I was in a time crunch and didn’t think of it. Too late now. The transmission and transfer case fluids are mixed and in the holding containers for taking the fluids in for recycling. So, not only are they cross contaminated but contaminated by fluid left in the catch basin and the holding containers. The reading would be off.

I’ll try to remember for the next change. I have some containers still but I have to remember to collect it while draining.

Being down a vehicle has not allowed me to do things as I would like and is quite frustrating but that is a personal issue and not related to the subject matter of the forum.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals