• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What coils will fit a 1989 Ranger?

aknott1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My Ranger has a 1989 Chassis and is ttb 4x4, the front is pretty low compared to the rear and I don't have a ton of money but want to bring the front end up and I also believe they are the factory 1989 springs. What junkyard vehicles will give 1.5-2" of lift and fit in the Ranger? Will 79 F100 coils fit? I seen one of those out there with brand new coils on it

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You'll want to stick with TTB Rangers and Explorers for donors, they need the stiff springs... If you went with an extended cab 4x4 4.0L spring ('90-97 Ranger) they should be stiffer, or '91-94 Explorer, I don't remember anymore but I'm pretty sure those are the best options.

The cheapest option is to go to a bolt supply store and ask for some non plated 1 1/4" washers, they'll have the 1 3/8" hole necessary to go under the spring seat. They should be 1/8" thick and you can fit a full 8 of them under the spring seat which will give you almost 1.5" of lift I think. At that point you will need more adjustment in the alignment bushings for the upper ball joints most likely to get the camber under control, and you'll need an alignment, with TTB everything changes everything...

aknott1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought about this but the stock springs are shot, I only have about 1.5" between the stop and TTB arm, they might as well be slammed. Pot holes literally hit so hard the visors drop and the glovebox opens.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just put a set of Skyjacker 132 coils on the front of mine and they raised it almost 2". The springs were $155, adjustable camber/caster bushings were $55, and alignment around $70. Just wanted you to know what it cost to go with new stuff.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
aknott:

Another option, very cost minded and will not only improve your ride hieght but restore some suspension is a set of "coil spring spacer" DONUTS. There are very easily found at AutoZone, O'Reilly's and Westbay/Napa, they cost approximately $20 a set and you could use easily use 2 per coil.

Each set will restore at least ½" of ride height each and you can use them with new to get more height later when you have more to spend or meet some other ride height goal.

They are a simple hard rubber donut shape that you slip in between the spring coils. I usually aply some petroleum jelly to help them slide in faster. So $40 later, your front is an inch taller, a little more room for bumps, little more suspension action. They do a good job of taking out the little bumps at highway speeds too.

☕☕🚬

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Elutheros:

Those Sky-Jacker Hi-Ryder coils are very nice. My Ranger has a 2"suspension lift that was sagging a little on the front and I bought their 2" lift coils, I love how they work!!!

aknott1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I pulled the old coils out today, had to hammer a 1 inch socket on to get the nuts off they were so rusted and use a 6ft fence post to break them. The coils didn't expand at all, when I jacked up the truck they just fell out of the buckets and the shocks had no tension either. Getting new nuts in the morning and we will see how it goes.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The nuts should use a 1 1/8" socket, but I imagine up in Michigan there's some rust involved, probably reduced the coil wire diameter as well which wouldn't help anything. The stock nuts are lock nuts so they should have resistance all the way.

That's actually how it should work, there's no preload or anything on TTB coils unless the shock is limiting the travel.

aknott1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I couldn't find the nuts on hand anywhere this morning but I got some 5/8-11 stainless nuts and some lock washers and have the passenger side done. The f100 springs are a little wider at the bottom but I believe the retainer will hold them. The front came up about 1 1/4" so not completely level but manageable. Now I get to fight with the driver's side. Then take it apart again next week to replace the sway bar links I broke.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
with stiff springs a sway bar is over rated... with soft springs they're apparently good to have but I don't miss it on my '90, haven't had a sway bar for 10 years... a fair amount of body roll but it still takes corners fast enough while still staying planted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals