• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Brand(s) cordless power tools do you go with?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Unlike cars, cordless power tool technology has really come a long way and in the right direction.

I started with a makita impact screwgun my old man left me when he passed, back when that was about all they offered as cordless. still works like a champ! Since then I have just about every battery powered blue doodad, including a radio, leaf blower, and tire inflator.

I also have a few Milwaukee items that were just gifts or come ups.

I have noticed Dewalt has come a long way, and evey Ryobi is not so bad these days....

It seems each brand rotates who is the first to offer something, and the rest soon follow. I think Milwaukee was the first, and Makita was the last to offer a tire inflator.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I like dewalt for one reason, they have kept the batteries the same for decades or at least offer adapters to use new batteries in older tools. Alot of cordless tool companies change battery designs every few years and then stop selling the older ones so even if your drill is perfectly fine, you can no longer buy batteries for it and have to replace it.

The milwaukee fuel tools are awesome though, but who knows how long they will maintain that line. My dewalt drill and circular saw are almost 20 years old and still going strong and I can still buy batteries for them. Dunno if you'll be able to do that in 20 years with a milwaukee.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Kobalt from Lowes. Worked there in hardware/tools for 5 years part time. First and most important, they will honor the warranty without question, including batteries. Even if out of warranty for a bit, they may still do you right.
Milwaukee would have been my first choice, but their stuff is really expensive, and for a simple DIY'er like me, Kobalt.
I do have a 12 year old set of Porter Cable thats still going good, but when batteries go I won't re;p[lace cause new batteries are more expensive than new tools with new batteries. :sad:
Almost everything, including DeWalt, is made overseas. Only a few high end items are made in USA or Canada.
Crapsman, ugh, I mean Craftsman is garbage. Wouldn't buy there stuff on a bet. 25-30 years ago, yeah. Now, nope.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My older Dewalts seem to last

The batteries, of course, do wear out, but there is a Battery Shop here that rebuilds pretty much any rechargeable battery pack, and with the latest rechargeable that works with the charger, so they last even longer than original
Price is about the same as new one if they still made them, lol

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I had started buying Dewalt, but had issues with the 2 battery packs I owned. They were both less than a year old.... one wouldn’t last 5 minutes on a full charge, the other would get hot as you used it. Like hot enough to deform the case hot. Maybe it was just bad luck, but that put me off of Dewalt.

I have Milwaukee M18 and M12 stuff now...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Milwaukee and Bosch

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ryobi. Because at the time they were the only brand that sold tools separate from the charger. They are good enough...some really good like the 1/4" impact driver and some crap. A really wide range of tools. The 1.5A/hr batteries are garbage. The 4.0A/hr batteries are great.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've been buying DeWalt as things break. I don't have much non-DeWalt brand stuff anymore. I think the rotary tool (I kill them including Dremels), a Black & Decker jig saw, a Harbor Freight Brand grinder, and a reciprocating saw of a decent brand thank I can't think of at the moment. Even the battery powered tools have held up decently for once.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Personally I am strictly makita.
In all the years I've been in the construction industry most dependable cordless tools made.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have an assortment but mostly two brands now...

I have some 12 and 18V DeWalt stuff, we have great luck with them at work, at work they switched to the 20V stuff because that's what's available. My DeWalt stuff hasn't been used in a while since I've for the most part moved on, but will spread things out again once I get the shop built...

I have some Milwaukee stuff, got gifted a M18 Fuel 1/2" drill from the boss after it stopped working when it went for a swim, turns out just one of the batteries died... then I found some clearance tools at a local farm store and ended up with some 1/4" hex impacts, another drill and a reciprocating saw... only the original drill is the Fuel/Brushless but at the price they were I haven't regretted it. I added some 4Ah batteries from Amazon, these have been GREAT for the shop build, there's a LOT of screws to put in the siding and roof...

I've also gone to the Bauer 20V stuff from Harbor Freight since the 3/8" impact is affordable, that was the first, then I got an angle drill, inflator, workshop blower, 1/2" impact, radio, random orbit sander, 4.5" grinder and weedeater (for the wife, she likes it...) as well as I think 4 of the 3Ah batteries, one of the 1.5Ah batteries and one of the new 5Ah batteries. They're not Milwaukee quality but not bad for the price. Several of those tools were found in the open box section for under half price otherwise I wouldn't have so many :)

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Really depends on the situation. Overall: Snap-on and milwaukee. Dewalt can be pretty good too. Every brand has good and bad ones.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I was in school, I bought a drill driver set from porter cable. Works great no problems.

after that, everything has been Milwaukee for cordless. They seen to have the biggest selection of different tools. I’ve got a 1/2” driver, and 3/8” ratchet, and radio. Expensive though. never have to turn on an air compressor unless I’m filling tires now.

for corded tools, I just run whatever, portercable, skill, ryobi, craftsmen, rigid. Whatever seems to suite my needs at the time of purchase.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
When I was in school, I bought a drill driver set from porter cable. Works great no problems.

after that, everything has been Milwaukee for cordless. They seen to have the biggest selection of different tools. I’ve got a 1/2” driver, and 3/8” ratchet, and radio. Expensive though. never have to turn on an air compressor unless I’m filling tires now.

for corded tools, I just run whatever, portercable, skill, ryobi, craftsmen, rigid. Whatever seems to suite my needs at the time of purchase.
I have a Porter-Cable corded belt sander... That’s a really nice piece of equipment.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a bunch of Ryobi tools including an impact it has done great for years. The only one that burns out was the drill so I bought a Milwaukee. But the snapon tools are awesome.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I go with DeWalt for the same reason as Dirtman and sgtsandman. I have a Rigid corded saw that sucks. I hope to replace it next. I like the bigger batteries with the life indicators. They seem to last longer than the skinny ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals