• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What BRAND is the OEM Alternator on ye olde Vulcan? BOSCH? Hitachi? AC-Delco?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
After 21 years I think my alternator (or rather, the embedded Voltage Regulator) is overcharging my battery. It may be squeaking a bit too.

On my old Mazda B2000 4-banger, the alternators were Mitsubishi, and BAP/GEON had them cheap.

I doubt Ford or Mazda started making their own, so whose do they spec at the factory????

Thanks in advance, Duh Fix Izz In!

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Motorcraft is the way to go, A/C Delco might be OK, Bosch is overpriced junk, and I don't have any experience with Hitachi alternators so I would stay away from them.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
If only Motorcraft used a little lube before they hit you with da PRICE... what about re-manufactured Motorcraft?

I see them offered, but I doubt they're re-man'd BY Motorcraft... yes/no?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
On motorcraft's website they suggest that they are remanufactured by them. This assumes you are buying a reman directly FROM motorcraft, not a reman motorcraft from the parts store which is undoubtedly remanufactured by chinese children.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If only Motorcraft used a little lube before they hit you with da PRICE... what about re-manufactured Motorcraft?

I see them offered, but I doubt they're re-man'd BY Motorcraft... yes/no?
No. There motorcraft cases with cheap chinese guts shipped back over here anf sold at a premium.

Honestly ive had good luck with duralast shit.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If price is concern, rockauto has about the cheapest I have seen for your model truck. I thought DB Electrical would be a good place to look but they only off a 200amp model for your truck and it's just over $300.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought Duralast rotors and they looked to be good quality and have held up well. I just bought a Duralast parking brake cable but it’s too new to know if it lasts, durably, I mean. 😆

It’s an Autozone only brand, and no amount of googling tells me where they’re made. I’d avoid the brand if made in China, but the build quality seems good.

-Jazzer

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I bought Duralast rotors and they looked to be good quality and have held up well. I just bought a Duralast parking brake cable but it’s too new to know if it lasts, durably, I mean. 😆

It’s an Autozone only brand, and no amount of googling tells me where they’re made. I’d avoid the brand if made in China, but the build quality seems good.

-Jazzer
Ive ran numerous duralast alternators over the years...never had an issue, their battries are decent to.

Avoid o'reiley at all costs unless you think changing the alt is fun.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well to be fair, its kinda hard to screw up making a brake rotor. Electronics are a little more susceptible to being built poorly.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I never know whether to spend for a name brand or just get the cheapest thing out there - too many times I bought the "good stuff" because I didn't want to do the job twice, but still got junk and had to do it again anyway. Other times I went cheap and the part was fine, worked well and lasted.

Well to be fair, its kinda hard to screw up making a brake rotor. Electronics are a little more susceptible to being built poorly.
Nonsense, metallurgy matters. You can precisely machine a lousy alloy but it won't last through the heat cycles or resist the surface pitting, etc.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I never know whether to spend for a name brand or just get the cheapest thing out there - too many times I bought the "good stuff" because I didn't want to do the job twice, but still got junk and had to do it again anyway. Other times I went cheap and the part was fine, worked well and lasted.

Nonsense, metallurgy matters. You can precisely machine a lousy alloy but it won't last through the heat cycles or resist the surface pitting, etc.
I will confirm there are some lousy brake rotors out there. I am not sure if it's crappy metal they use, or possibly they are supposed to heat cycle the rotor after it's built and then true it up? Seems like some of them as soon as you get them hot they warp. Others don't.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I will confirm there are some lousy brake rotors out there. I am not sure if it's crappy metal they use, or possibly they are supposed to heat cycle the rotor after it's built and then true it up? Seems like some of them as soon as you get them hot they warp. Others don't.
Surprisingly, most "warped" rotors actually aren't. Rather when you come to a stop clamping the hot pads on hot rotors, it transfers material from the pad to the surface of the rotor, forming dendrites in the the surface layer of iron - essentially a lump on the rotor surface. Dendrites are very hard and won't wear, and the rotor is never smooth after that. If you look at a rotor that has permanent black pad-shaped outlines on it that's often what you're seeing, although sometimes you can feel it and sometimes not.

Alloy composition seems to be very important to resisting this.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Surprisingly, most "warped" rotors actually aren't. Rather when you come to a stop clamping the hot pads on hot rotors, it transfers material from the pad to the surface of the rotor, forming dendrites in the the surface layer of iron - essentially a lump on the rotor surface. Dendrites are very hard and won't wear, and the rotor is never smooth after that. If you look at a rotor that has permanent black pad-shaped outlines on it that's often what you're seeing, although sometimes you can feel it and sometimes not.

Alloy composition seems to be very important to resisting this.
Thats why you should drive with bare brake pads for a while before changing, metal on metal will scrape that shit off.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thats why you should drive with bare brake pads for a while before changing, metal on metal will scrape that shit off.
Procrastination pays yet again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals