• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What belt do I need to bypass AC in 99 4.0 liter?

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know a part # for this? I want to bypass the AC just to figure out where a chirping noise is coming from. Its either my AC compressor or my power steering pump......I think.
99 4.0 liter 5-speed

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
More likely it's one of the idler/tensioner pullies.

AD

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats what I thought at first too. Already replaced the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner assembly and pulley. That leaves the AC, power steering, crank, water pump, and alternator. Its not the alternator or water pump. I guess I'll start it up tomorrow without the belt to eliminate the crank. I picked up a no AC belt today for $20, so hopefully that will tell me what it is. Hopefully its the steering pump, since its cheaper. And I've already blown my whole budget just troubleshooting! ~sigh~

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 2.3 Ranger had a slight squeek/chirping/whistling sound right off of idle as I would take off while releasing the clutch. It IS NOT the clutch however as I disconnected the entire serpentine belt and started it yesterday. The sound mysteriously disappeared.

I took off the idler pulley and added a washer to it so the metal bushing was farther away from the sealed bearing area thinking maybe it was touching and causing sound. I also put on a no A/C belt yesterday as well and now the noise is gone.

I have a whole new (2 months old) A/C clutch/pulley assembly so it's kind of weird that the sounds gone you know? These kind of problems are the worst sometimes, good luck.

Allen

JaBradt85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same issue when I start it on a chilly or damp morning. Its just about every morning since its cold and damp, and when its cold after getting out of work. It has only started since its been cold out. This lovely sound goes away after about 5 or 6 minutes when I am off the highway. I thought it was the belt being tight from the cold, I spoke to the mechanic and believes its the A/C compressor. Have also replaced the belt 2 or 3 months ago along with the tensioner. Any ideas...

Its the vehicle in my signiture....

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I started it without the belt...no noise, so its one of the accessories. Put on a no AC belt....still get the noise, not the AC compressor. Thought I would try to bypas the power steering pump with that belt, it worked.....still get the noise, not the steering pump. I've already replaced the belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley. All that leaves is the alternator and water pump. So I borrowed a stethoscope and listened. Could hear the noise thru the alternator then went to the water pump. Well I almost tore the thing off of my ears, it was so loud. So I guess that answers my question.....water pump. I've just never had one be this difficult to diagnose, usually they always show some visual sign, like play in the bearing or leaking from the snout. Oh well, I was kinda hoping it was the alternator since its much easier and cheaper to do. But I'll take the water pump anyday over the AC compressor!

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals