• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What axle shafts(U-Joints) are these?

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought this Dana 30(Jeep Grand Cherokee(ZJ) with ABS, without the CAD) from someone not too long ago and he said it was fully rebuilt and it came pretty complete. He bought it off some guy who did all the work and turned around and sold it to me because he changed his mind about installing it on his vehicle... Now im trying to see about buying new axle shafts with larger U-Joints BUT im not sure if I need to now. I read somewhere that larger U-Joints came from the factory after certain years in XJ's. But since this came out of a ZJ, im wondering if its the same thing as the XJ.... How can I tell what U-Joints I have on my shafts?? I have supplied a few pics to help with this. Thanks for the help

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
If they haven't been replaced before they a 5-297x ujoints the replacement for them is 5-760x.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_102.htm

Those are the biggest ujoint for a D30. Your only big upgrade as far as shafts go is 30 spline inners which are expensive. Snag some spare shafts and weld the caps on.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Those look to me to be the larger size 5-297 u joints, the same that are used in Dana 35 and Dana 44 axles. If you can measure the diameter of the caps with a caliper to know for sure. If they measure 1 3/16" then I would say run them as is, If you are wheeling your truck hard then grab some spares from a salvage yard for cheap.... and get some 5-760x joints to replace whats in the shafts for an upgrade when you can. I believe that axle you have is ABS equipped, I have read all ABS dana 30s have the larger ujoints, but I am no jeep expert.

* All 84-88 D30s have 5-260x u-joints (1 1/16" diameter caps)
* 1989-95 non-ABS have 5-260x u-joints
* 1989-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints (1 3/16" diameter caps)
* All 1995 1/2+ have 5-297x u-joints

5-297x u-joints can be replaced with the stronger 5-760x u-joint with full circle clips

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/dana35_ujoint_snapring.htm

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wow great info and its a relief that I already have the larger ujoints. saves me some time and money thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals