• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what axle ratios you guys running?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I've been putting together a plan for an EFI 5.0 swap into my Bronco II and planning to use an AOD transmission. I'm not a hardcore offroader, just occasional recreational wheeling and it's mainly a daily driver, so I'm not putting 38s on it or anything, I'm thinking probably 31's or at most 32s.

My 2.9 is weak as hell with 28" tires anyway so with 31 or 32s I'd definitely have to swap to a 4.10 or even 4.56, but I was thinking with the extra torque of a V8 I might be ok with my 3.73 ratio??? I did the math and with 31" tires, a 3.73 would leave me almost identical to a 5.0/AOD equipped F-150 with a 3.55 and stock tires...so it seems like I'd be ok.

I will probably swap to an 8.8 rear for the extra toughness and limited slip, but if possible I'd like to avoid having to tear apart the entire TTB setup to change out the gears in the front, not to mention I lack the tools to setup a diff and I don't plan on doing it enough to justify buying them. I also don't want a ton of money tied up in the truck so I'm doing all of this on a junkyard budget.

ANyway...sorry for the long post just interested in what you guys are using and put together a realistic estimate of what all I'm gonna have to sell the finance this wild hare.

Last edited:

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I'm running 4.88's with 33's and a stock 4.0............ seems to be the perfect gear combo for me. It put it back to stock feel and ease of driving and then some.

Frank

pyrosity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/85
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0/5.0L
Well from everything i have heard swaping over to a 5.0l and keeping the 3.73 gears is really nice because it allows you to do what you need. Really honestly if your just going to do small recreational stuff with your truck but mostly every day driver stuff. ide stay...if your gona go crazy and wanna go bigger..then gear to 4.11 or heck, im gonna go 4.56 but im going atleast 35's on my B2...but mods for down the road...for now i have a 8.8 explorer rear end ill be installing running the 3.73L

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
cool..thats what I was thinking.

There's always the chance that I get another job or promoted and suddenly have the income to buy another car so the BII doesn't have to be the daily driver....maybe that's when I'll gear it, lift it more and get some 35's or something.

Wait...get promoted? lol

88302Camotruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On my 5.0 w/AOD swap into an 88 Ranger with 31's it was a decent runner. OD was hard to keep in gear unless going higher than 60. The OD gear is smaller than the stock tranny as well with the 2nd gr. With 36 swampers the AOD runs good thru 3rd but OD is a waste unless you are on the falttest road and no need to speed up. Mine does ok with a load like a jetski and trailer or ATV and a trailer on a flat road, any hills it pops in and out of OD all day long. I am looking at eithe 4.88 or 5.13 gears to bump up the gear to keep up the rpms. At 60 my AOD with 4.10 is around 1500 to 1650 rpm. I want to be around 2000 to 2200 in OD.......

pyrosity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/85
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0/5.0L
here yah on that...are you running hydraulic or roller cam? How loopyy is your cam? you could also just retard your timing and it would decrease H and increase your overall torque which should raise a few RPMS for yah...

? ? > i think thats right...either way....retard or advance..you might want to look into messing with your timing to adjust your rpms a bit...specially if its kicking out like it is...

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
36's yeah, holy hell thats big for 4.10s

I had a full size Bronco w/ 351, C-6 and 3.55's on 35" tires. Highway RPM was 2200 @ 65mph, since I didn't have OD, but it took a lot of throttle to get it going. Best tank I got 9mpg lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals