• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What axle do I have?? 1997 xlt 4x4

Copper6297

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello,
New to the ranger game. I bought this 1997 ford ranger xlt 4x4 with a 4.0 and auto trans off of my dad a couple months ago. My dad had it for a few years and bought it off my grandpa who bought it new. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am under the assumption that this axle is a dana 35 ttb, but I can not find a tag or stamp anywhere to tell me. Could anyone tell me if it is a dana 35 or a dana 28?? I know this might be a dumb question, but I would like to know so that I can start ordering parts to rebuild this truck and make stronger.

Ultimate goal is to lift it, rebuild or engine swap it (its got almost 300k miles) and make it a nice daily/ weekend trail warrior, re do the whole interior (it was a work truck for grandpa and dad and dad was a smoker when he owned it).

Thanks in advance for any help.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Pretty sure they stopped using Dana 28s in 89 or 90, maybe even 88.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
should be a D35

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yes, should be a true D35 unless there aren't any fins on the diff housing, but I don't think there were any hybrids in '97, and for sure not a hybrid if it has a 4.0L.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Copper6297

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you everyone!! I am glad to be part of the group and can't wait to get building. I am sure I will be on here with many more questions as I go. @4x4junkie I really like your '94. I've been looking at the skyjacker lifts and going back and forth between getting the 4" or the 6". I really only want to go up to 33's and have some decent clearance between them and the fenders. Not sure what route would be best. I've seen people go with the 4" and a 2-3" body lift, but I don't really like the idea of a body lift.... IDK lots of stuff to decide on.

Anyways, thank you all for the help!!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Your fender openings are bigger on your '97 than on my '90 and I have around 6" of lift to clear 35" tires with minimal rubbing, if I had better radius arms I bet they wouldn't rub... I would probably go with a 4" kit then space it up with some washers under the coils to fine tune it... 1 1/4" (they will have 1 3/8" holes which is what you need) washers fit under the coil seat and there's room for about an inch of washers.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Thank you everyone!! I am glad to be part of the group and can't wait to get building. I am sure I will be on here with many more questions as I go. @4x4junkie I really like your '94. I've been looking at the skyjacker lifts and going back and forth between getting the 4" or the 6". I really only want to go up to 33's and have some decent clearance between them and the fenders. Not sure what route would be best. I've seen people go with the 4" and a 2-3" body lift, but I don't really like the idea of a body lift.... IDK lots of stuff to decide on.

Anyways, thank you all for the help!!!
I certainly would suggest the 6" kit for your Supercab truck. Supercab models are heavier than Regular cabs, and so the lift height will be less than claimed, or about 4.5" (Skyjacker doesn't provide different kits or different springs for different body style trucks, so there will always be variation in actual lift heights).
Both the 4" and 6" kits use the same axle brackets, so in this instance there would be no issue with mounting the front axle in the 4" lift (upper) hole position. If you get the 6" rear leaf springs, you can also omit the factory lift block, which should then match up well with the front.
(mine has the weight of a winch and dual batteries, and similarly I got about 4.5" from my Skyjacker 6" as well)

2" body lifts generally don't present problems (I've had a 2" on my '90 for over 16 years now). At 3", you start needing things like shifter & steering extensions, and possibly needing to extend/replace body ground straps.

Copper6297

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I certainly would suggest the 6" kit for your Supercab truck. Supercab models are heavier than Regular cabs, and so the lift height will be less than claimed, or about 4.5" (Skyjacker doesn't provide different kits or different springs for different body style trucks, so there will always be variation in actual lift heights).
Both the 4" and 6" kits use the same axle brackets, so in this instance there would be no issue with mounting the front axle in the 4" lift (upper) hole position. If you get the 6" rear leaf springs, you can also omit the factory lift block, which should then match up well with the front.
(mine has the weight of a winch and dual batteries, and similarly I got about 4.5" from my Skyjacker 6" as well)

2" body lifts generally don't present problems (I've had a 2" on my '90 for over 16 years now). At 3", you start needing things like shifter & steering extensions, and possibly needing to extend/replace body ground straps.
Thank you for the info. That is good to know about the actual lift height being slightly lower with the super cab. I also plan on building some steel bumpers for it and getting a winch so that will add to the weight as well. You wouldn't happen to have any experience with the James Duff Lifts would you? https://dufftuff.com/product/1983-97-4wd-ranger-xcab-5-6-stage-3-suspension/
The link that I put in is for their 5-6 inch lift. This seems like the most comprehensive lift kit out there as far as my limited knowledge goes. It is Spendy$$$$ though. Would you recommend one company over another or any to steer clear of?? I have read good things on here about skyjacker, and not such great things about rough country... something about the drop brackets making contact with other parts when flexed??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah stay far away from Rough Country.

I replied to your other thread with more detail... James Duff makes a great kit also (I helped a friend put one on his Explorer). They include things like braided brake hoses, so is why the kit costs more $$$ up front (SJ has hoses too, but they are a separate purchase). But unless you think you're going to be adding performance extras such as Bronco springs, coilover shocks, etc., the Skyjacker kit IMO is the better choice for a daily driven rig because it has standard bushings on it's extended radius arms (the metal rod ends JD uses can wear faster if used in a muddy and/or salty environment, and they offer no noise isolation).

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
Unsolicited information. I bought a 4" lift kit from Suspension Connection that has perfomed well over the past 3.5 years, and its a soft ride Suspension, which makes it a comfortable ride on or off road. I would suggest that you add the extended radius arms they sell, they're not that expensive and are easy to install. One of the benefits, you gain a little more center clearance because the factory radius arm cross member is removed. I run 33x12.5x15 mud tires on my truck with no clearance issues other than the Bent D/S TTB, courtesy of the 160lb Buck I hit at over 60mph. In case you're wondering, I drive a 97 xlt standard cab, 4.0 5spd. standard 4x4. Ultimately, you are the best person to decide whats best for you, its all a crapshoot anyway. Everyone has their own favorites, just as I do. It would be nice if you were able to ride in trucks with all the different Suspension kits, so you would know how each one varies from the others. As I said in the beginning, this is just one of those "Unsolicited Advice" ramblings. I hope you can find what you're looking for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals