• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What are these plugs for?

RangerGoolz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have three unplugged plugs on the left side of my engine bay. They are between the airbox and firewall. Does anyone know what these could be for? One thing I am realized in the month I have had my 86 is that even when I turn the key on before completely starting I never see the engine light light up. Not at all ever. I have seen in youtube videos of same years and when people start their cars the engine light briefly comes on. Did the previous owner unplug it somehow or? Anyone way I can test it? The truck runs really well. Starts and idles great. Just continuing to learn as much about the truck as I can because I absolutely love it. Thanks all.
ranger-loose-plugs.jpg

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
The grey and red are for system diagnosis using OBD1 code reader. I didn't think that was available on pre-93 or 94. Not sure what the other one is for. But someone will come along shortly and correct me, cuz I'm usually only part right 😬

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
86 is the first year of EFI. There wasn't any cel light for this year. As rumble cloud said, the grey and red are for obd1 diagnostics. The black is for a relay, I think for air conditioning bypass when gas is floored.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Two of the connectors plug into a scanner like this.

The bulb may well be burned out. The light was originally switched on by a module that was a timer set to turn on around 60k miles. It can be accessed by dropping the glove compartment and looking up. There’s a paper tagged labeled reset that gets punched through when the module is reset.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Yes, no CEL(check engine light) on your year

Grey and red are for testing the computer, commonly called OBD1 connectors, they are left unplugged until needed
Seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

The labelled Fuel Pump slot can be used to activate the Fuel Pump Relay manually for testing purposes, if you GROUND this slot, then when you turn the Key On the fuel pump relay will activate and send 12volts to the TWO fuel pumps
Normally, the computer grounds that wire/slot with key on but ONLY for 2 seconds, its a safety thing, so makes it hard to test wiring to fuel pumps

The black one may be for an uninstalled Option, need to see/get the wire colors on it to see what it might have been for
It looks dirty inside so hasn't been connected, ever, or for a very long time

RangerGoolz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks so much all. You have cleared up some major concerns. Now I would like to purchase an OBD1 reader. Any links for a decent affordable one?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There’s no need to buy a dedicated scanner, you can do just as well with an analog multimeter.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Or a 12v test light

OBD, on board diagnostics, is a communications "protocol" a Language, like French
French 1 didn't have enough "words" for the newer/larger engine computers coming out
So English 2 was decided on as the new common language for vehicle computers
So not the same language at all so different translators are needed

OBD1 hasn't been used since 1995, all new vehicles sold 1996 and up were required by law to have/use OBD2(OBDII)
So there are going to be a lot of the OBD1 readers around but not used too much anymore

Ask around someone may have one just sitting around, they don't go bad
Look on local craigslist for OBD1
Garage sales with auto parts as well
I have seen them at wrecking yards as well, found in old vehicle's glove box or ??

OBD1 Ford codes seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2digitcodes.shtml
You will notice there are NO codes with 0, all are 2 digits and only use 1 to 9 so you can "read" them with a test light or volt meter
There are some codes like 40 or 80 but they are for a specific Ford vehicle computer, wouldn't be used on a Ranger computer

OBD2 Codes seen here, all car makers had to use the same P0xxx codes: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD-II_codes.shtml

English 2 has ALOT more codes than French 1, lol

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals