• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What all parts do I need for a strut and shock replacement

muwaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey All,

First off, I'm still trying to get use to the lingo so I do apologize if I'm using the wrong name(s).

I have a 91 3.0 V6, I want to try to replace the strut and shocks myself but I don't know what to really look for.

Can someone give me the rundown of all part names so I know what to tell the people at my local auto store?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@muwaha check out the TECH Library at the top of this page. There is a lot of info there. More than enough to get you going. Or use the search bar at the top right of this page and enter what it is your looking for.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Hey All,

First off, I'm still trying to get use to the lingo so I do apologize if I'm using the wrong name(s).

I have a 91 3.0 V6, I want to try to replace the strut and shocks myself but I don't know what to really look for.

Can someone give me the rundown of all part names so I know what to tell the people at my local auto store?
Your truck doesn't use struts.

A Macpherson strut is a shock that holds its own spring, more or less. Like above.

Your truck isn't as fancy. It has 2 coil springs and two shocks up front, and 2 leaf packs and two shocks in the rear.

If your shocks are indeed bad, all you need to do is walk into your local auto parts place and tell them you need whatever it is you need. 1 front shock.. 2 rear shocks.. all 4 corners... whatever.

They'll then smash on the keyboard a bit in search of a part number, walk out back, and then (hopefully) bring you the right stuff.

We're all full of reccomendations on shocks too.. bilstiens are extremely nice.. albeit more expensive than most. You can expect to pay 75ish per shock for a bilstien... while the bargain barrel shock may only run 25$. The bilstien is 3x as good as the bargain shock though...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ +1
1991 wont have a strut. The Ranger has a TIB or TTB front axle.
TIB = Twin Independent Beam = 2wd
TTB = Twin Traction Beam = 4x4
There is a coil from the beam to the coil bucket supporting the weight of the truck, and a shock right beside the coil.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@muwaha ,

For ride quality I prefer the following suspension upgrades:
• SHOCKS, James Duff LLC "70/30" shocks; dual shocks in both the front and rear (but at least in front to control chassis roll). Nothing else will improve your suspension handling more.
• coil SPRINGS, I like the way SkyJacker "Soft Ride" springs feel.
• leaf SPRINGS, until the supply of "used Explorer packs" are exhausted, I will stick with them for a customer tuned rear suspension.
• bushings, I like my suspension components to do what they are supposed to do, therefore I prefer polyurethane bushings. They cost a bit more up front but last quite a bit longer and seem to make the independent suspension components do their jobs better, working better together.
• fasteners/consumables, I will reuse used hardware if it is serviceable and presents no safety hazard; exceptions, head bolts and usually exhaust fasteners.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Hey All,
As has already been mentioned, there are a lot of very helpful articles in the Tech Section, like this one for instance...

It covers all the basics. Keep us updated on your progress and we can help with any problems you may run into. Mostly it's going to be difficult removing the fasteners for the shocks - especially if they haven't been looked at for awhile.
Removing the springs will also require a little hard work, but very doable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals