• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What all do I need for a V8 Swap?

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Before anyone even comments, yes, I've read the tech articles. I want to hear some opinions on Carbed or EFI 302/5.0. I also would like to know what transmission, transfer case, and front axle I would need. Which vehicle would be a better donor? What would be the simplest when it comes to wiring?

The vehicle this swap is being considered for is my somewhat trusty 1989 Bronco II, which has a 1992 Explorer 4.0 and has been swapped to a D35. I would need to knock this swap out in a couple of days this summer if I do it. Anyone who's done a 4x4 Gen 2 Bronco II V8 swap please chime in and give me some advice!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Moved to the V8 swap subforum since aside from the rear driveshaft length there isn't really anything specific about put a V8 in a BII vs any other RBV.

Depending on what you do the D35 should be fine. 8.8 rear wouldn't be a bad idea but the 7.5 can take a lot of abuse.

EFI vs carb, stay EFI and as close to your model year as possible avoiding truck engines. Explorers had the best 5.0 but will require some more wiring. Explorer also has the best fitting engine accessories.

Trans, for automatic AOD/4R70W, depends on what you end up with for an engine. Going Explorer would get you a 4R70W... so two birds with one stone there. It would also get you a 8.8 with factory disc brakes if you snag one with the same gearing you have.

So for a little more wiring IMO Explorer gets you a lot more parts.

If you want a manual M5ODR2 out of a 97-04 F-150 with a 4.2 fit the best but are a tad on the scarce side (at least around me) The shifter is clear to the back like how Ranger shifters are so they don't require near as much surgery as most manual transmissions.

T-case, NP205 and NP208 are popular, there was a BW that replaced the 208 in the later 80's and into the 90's that is popular too. I have a 208 I snagged out of a Bronco (Broncos have a fixed rear output)

Will need a 90* block adaptor and the filter adaptor of your choosing to relocate the oil filter. And then figure out the cooling system. And driveshafts. And exhaust, the later Explorers with GT40P heads can complicate that somewhat, but you can deal with it.

It took me a month of evenings and weekends to do my swap with minimal wiring. Then I tore it down and it took about another month to swap heads, cam and add the Explorer accessories.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989 Bronco II is analog from speedo cable to gauges, and pre-1995 Fords used EEC-IV 60 pin computers

Explorer V8s all used EEC-V 104 pin computers if you keep EFI and automatic.

For MPG and general reliability EFI is hands down the best choice, as is distributorless setup
But....you really only need 1 key on power wire to run carb and HEI spark system engine, so wiring wise carb/HEI win that way hands down.

For manual trans the M5ODR2 is best choice, yes 1997 and up 4.2l V6 F-150 4x4 trans will be best match to 302/5.0l
Automatic with computer would be 4R70W
Automatic without computer AOD, not AODE
Transfer case needs to have speedometer cable hook up so usually pre-1997, could be pre-1994 depends on model, later models did not have Drive Gear on output shaft

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can deal with the wiring on an Explorer engine several different ways.

The way I would do it is stick a dizzy in it and get a Mustang harness. No way I would back up to carb if the truck is set up for EFI. Don't have to deal with the Explorer's pats or any OBD1 to OBDII differences or anything like that since a foxbody Mustang is the same tech level as the BII.

Explorer longblock doesn't really care about anything, you can have it be a carb or OBDII EFI, it doesn't really matter to it.

F-150's still had a gear driven speed sensor in the t-case until '99 I believe (my brother's 97 did) but others on here have not gotten the 97+ BW4406 to fit between a BII's frame rails comfortably so I didn't mention that case.

Last edited:

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking about doing a carbed 302 and c4 transmission because I could keep using my 1350 tcase and use my D35 front axle. I also think the carbed engine would be easier to install when it comes to wiring.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would check on the adapters for that, "out of stock, none expected" will be usual response.

Carb/distributor will certainly shorten the install time

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Find a C-4 with the Dana 20 case (early Bronco/F-100's had them with the 4spd case (4lo/4hi/2hi/N case) they fit nicely in the Ranger/BII. I have one in my 84 Ranger and they came stock in those vehicles on the C-4). Its an idea that possibly would work for you. I run a C-6 with an adapter from Advance Adapters (you would need the small block C-6 for the 4x4 which came on the 150's (31 spline output C-6). It does take a different tranny/T-case mount to use this set up.

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I found a C-5 trans with it's transfer case, swapped the bellhousing with a 157 tooth bellhousing? I'm trying to budget build this because my A4LD's overdrive being shot, and since I'm already getting 11mpg, why not get 11mpg with a V8 that does 11mpg better :icon_rofl:

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update: I've checked with Advance Adapters, and they no longer carry/produce the adapters for BW1350-C4/5 transmissions. Looks like I'm going with an AOD trans. Any tips on doing this build from junkyard parts?

tjm73

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think Ford's transfer case to trans pattern on V8 transmissions has been the same since the 70's. As long as the spline and shaft diameter is a match you should be able to use almost any 4x4 AOD with almost any transfer case.

What ever AOD you look for, look for one built after 1988. They are the better foundation to start with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals