• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) What’s your max cruise speed?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Well I spent 5 hours this evening and accomplished my major engine tasks: cooling system components and timing belt. The timing belt wasn’t even on my list till I realized how “easy” it was. I feel like this shouldn’t have taken but 2 hours.

Surprise surprise, I’ve gained what feels like 40 horses! I didn’t have the presence of mind to check the existing timing, but I know it’s spot on now. The belt looked pretty new so I’m guessing it’s been changed before and they were off a tooth. Rock Auto sent the wrong temp sender so I’m running without at the moment, but I don’t think that would have such a positive impact

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well I spent 5 hours this evening and accomplished my major engine tasks: cooling system components and timing belt. The timing belt wasn’t even on my list till I realized how “easy” it was. I feel like this shouldn’t have taken but 2 hours.

Surprise surprise, I’ve gained what feels like 40 horses! I didn’t have the presence of mind to check the existing timing, but I know it’s spot on now. The belt looked pretty new so I’m guessing it’s been changed before and they were off a tooth. Rock Auto sent the wrong temp sender so I’m running without at the moment, but I don’t think that would have such a positive impact
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Is there a thread on here explaining how to change rear gear ratio? Do I need to find a 4.10 diff or can I get new gears? I really don’t know what makes up an axle.

edit: think I’ll start a new thread. I have no clue how axles work.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My truck is kinda "close" to yours ('88 2.3, .030 over stock rebuild, 3.73 gear and 235-75-15 tires) and it feels similar in power to my old '96 and '94. Max cruise speed really depends on the weather and hills. Usually I don't even bother with 5th gear unless the wind is at my back and I'm on flat ground. I can maintain 70mph easily in 4th as long as the wind isn't blowing at me. 80mph in 5th is doable in the right conditions... it's pretty tapped out after that.

Swapping gears is usually easiest by swapping the entire axle assembly.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You are best off finding a different axle as if you are handy and are in an area where you can work on your own vehicles the axle can be swapped in a weekend even as a first project...

Just as a rundown here's roughly the costs of both:

Junkyard axle:
Axle: $100-300 depending on area
Extras including gear oil and silicone: $50

Getting gears installed at a shop:
Gears: $200-300
Install kit: $75
Labor: $300

Especially if you are going for a ratio that was used from the factory, axle swaps are much cheaper...

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Well a little update. Previously I replaced the main coil pack, wires, and plugs. That helped the rough engine.

Today I replaced injectors and secondary coil pack. I’m not going to contribute all that much improvement to the second coil pack, but I run oh so much better now. Top end is about the same, maybe a bit smoother, but low end torque and performance is vastly improved. I still have an occasional miss (about every 3 sec at worst). Before it was every few revolutions at the worst. The plastic nozzle cover of two of the old injectors were broken when I pulled them out.

I was going to replace egr and pcv, but I couldn’t get egr off and I got the wrong pcv. My pcv is just a little 2” thing that’s inline with the hose. Those are next once I figure them out.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a thread on here explaining how to change rear gear ratio? Do I need to find a 4.10 diff or can I get new gears? I really don’t know what makes up an axle.

edit: think I’ll start a new thread. I have no clue how axles work.
Gears can be changed. But it's kid of complicated. It's best to have some shop that specializes in it do that. I just had 4.10s put in the 7.5 axle on my 98 Ranger, 3.0 V-6 though. Huge difference, even on the larger engine. There's a large hill nearby, the truck always backed out of OD going up that hill. Now, it shifts into OD going up the hill. Cruises on the highway so much better, still pulls at 90. Gets to 100 much easier. The gears and a shift kit in the auto trans converted it into a fun vehicle to drive.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Update for anyone who’s with similar questions. Everything from the block and inward was good. Every sensor and valve outside of that needed replacement. Just cause this truck has double digit HP doesn’t make it a boat anchor. I’ve since hit 90 and could have gone further.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals