• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What’s this? (87 4WD Rick-storation

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I put a new battery in the 87 and reworked the wiring and cleaned things up under the hood. This clean up after the shade tree swapped my engine. The AC Compressor is not installed, and the evaporator box on the firewall is there, but with just the fittings sticking out the front, no hoses.

3AC686F7-F898-43B0-A8C2-EDEC88C50AEC.jpeg

714FA6ED-E9FB-40BC-BDB3-9B86D4A87517.jpeg

8C176EDF-B509-48C5-8D39-31F05D57CCAC.jpeg

What is this thing, what does this sensor do? It was hanging down by the wires on the passenger side under the alternator. The wires feed back to the evaporator box on the firewall, attached to an electronic gizmo in the third picture atop the evaporator box. Is it part of the AC system? It reminds me of a magnetic rev counter on a 1986 Mercedes 300 C I had back in the day, a magnetic counter that counted the blades on the alternator fan, that would turn the AC compressor on and off momentarily when you were trying to accelerate fast.

I’ll do the AC later after I do everything else, for next Spring, I just want to make sure this isn’t something affecting the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals