• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wet Okole and new radio in '01 upgrade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It was time to upgrade things in my interior of my '01 Ranger (Edge) 4x4. I didn't like the Edge rubber bottom of my interior at the time when I bought my truck back in '03, but over time I've grown to like the ease of which it can be cleaned with spills, dogs, trash, etc., SO, I wanted to leave the rubber bottom alone. But, I had the 6disk factory stereo which I've already replaced once and in cold weather my 2nd 6-disk CD player was becoming finicky and didn't want to change CDs. My wife's RAV4 had a USB port in her stereo and I fell in love with that, so I went on the hunt for a new stereo...that must have USB.

We live in western WA where tall trees are everywhere so satellite stereo was not needed as it broke up far too often. With the USB I could play any of my nearly 5K songs I already had. So, USB was most important and then a good bass speaker. I did not want loud THUMP, THUMP bass, but I wanted to hear the strum of the bass. I checked local stereo sales, plus also CAR TOYS where they were having a tent sale. I saved $700 on the same stereo install from Car Toys from $2K to $1300.

The stereo is a Kenwood 50W w/ blutooth, USB, CD, and several radio services I'll never use. Car Toys has there own brand of speakers Quinn that sounded as well as or better than Infinity and far better than Alpine & Pioneer, so I have all new Quinn door speakers. Finally, I have a Kenwood eXcelon 1000 W box subwoofer w/amp that will shake every door and window in your NEIGHBOR's house! And its a clean bass sound not a boom-thump sound.

Then, I contacted WET OKOLE for seat covers and my vinyl in my factory seats were starting to split with age. I wanted something "non-standard" of course, so I ordered a set of Wet Okole half-pipe seats with custom FORD image on the back. It was an easy install that took about an hour and a half. The hardest part of the install was getting the top cover over the console lid as I had to unscrew everything to get a decent fit. I also went with the heated seat panels as well.

Lastly, when I was searching the internet for switch panels to install heater switches, I stumbled onto a plastic "gap filler" for interiors, available in tons of colors. It is a soft extruded plastic in the shape of a tear drop with a long tail. It simply pushed into most any gap and you fill the gap with your colored accent. It comes in 3M and 5M lengths and is avail from CHINA from ebay. There is a dealer on ebay from NJ, but they just ship from China anyway and you'll pay more in shipping like I did. Anyway, I installed it, and secured it with superglue on one side. I'm sure there are better glues to use, but I have easy access to SGlue in my shop.

I'm in love my truck all over again. I want to take it everywhere because the stereo is killer. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Very Impressive! Nice job.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Just ran across this... WOW! Very nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just ran across this... WOW! Very nice job!
Thanks! I'm enjoying my truck as much now with it 18 years old as I did when I bought it new...maybe more. :yahoo:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I'm interested in the "gap filler". Got a link? What is it called so I can Google it?
Vary nice job btw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm interested in the "gap filler". Got a link? What is it called so I can Google it?
Vary nice job btw
I bought it on ebay. NOTE: the only people that sell this on ebay are from CHINA. There is one seller that SAYS he is in the US, I bought it from him and it arrived from CHINA and I paid $3-4 more because he said it was shipped in the US. :pissedoff: It was just dropped shipped from CHINA. Pissed me off. It is available in many, many colors. Just buy if from CHINA and save yourself some shipping.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One thing I liked about the stuff I bought was it is plastic. I had a yellow leather steering for a while and yes, it looked great, but it became dirty and grungy FAST. The plastic will stay clean much longer. It also could be pushed into tight gaps and not bunch up like the piping you give the link for. It does look classier though. Thanks for posting a link.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals