• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

went elk hunting...pics inside

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
Got to love elk hunting. the easy part is harvesting them [yea right]. I took one 5 years ago and had to pack it out alone. Shot it at 8:15 and finished getting it out around 3 pm. 50 cal muzzle loader also. Love that fire stick. :yahoo: . the work starts getting them out of the woods. :icon_confused: I'm going prong horn hunting starting Saturday.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Got to love elk hunting. the easy part is harvesting them [yea right]. I took one 5 years ago and had to pack it out alone. Shot it at 8:15 and finished getting it out around 3 pm. 50 cal muzzle loader also. Love that fire stick. :yahoo: . the work starts getting them out of the woods. :icon_confused: I'm going prong horn hunting starting Saturday.
Nice! be sure to post pics. I have my white-tail deer tags as well, probably going to go shoot one in a couple weeks.

I know what you mean about the work....dear Lord that was heavy hauling out of the bush.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what is more buff. You or the Elk. Dude you are a beast! I am going to say that you are one good looking guy and must have to fight the girls off. (I say that in a non gay admiring sort of way! LOL)

Did you mount that head? That would be a great trophy over the fireplace for years to come. :icon_thumby:

Thanks for sharing the pics.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what is more buff. You or the Elk. Dude you are a beast! I am going to say that you are one good looking guy and must have to fight the girls off. (I say that in a non gay admiring sort of way! LOL)

Did you mount that head? That would be a great trophy over the fireplace for years to come. :icon_thumby:

Thanks for sharing the pics.
ugh man, you went and gayed up a hunting thread.... i hope youre happy!

jk, man! just had to make that comment. nice elk!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My brother (in Wyoming) just called to tell me that he drew one of the rare and elusive "Any Elk" tags in the Elk refuge area...

Lucky skunk...

And once again here In PA I drew? NEITHER an Elk tag or even a whitetail doe tag,
so I'll probably just stay home... or go to wyoming and buy an over-the-counter
cow elk tag...

AD

AD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother (in Wyoming) just called to tell me that he drew one of the rare and elusive "Any Elk" tags in the Elk refuge area...

Lucky skunk...

And once again here In PA I drew? NEITHER an Elk tag or even a whitetail doe tag,
so I'll probably just stay home... or go to wyoming and buy an over-the-counter
cow elk tag...

AD

AD
You gotta draw for deer tags?

Here you get one buck for a gun season and one buck for a bow season, don't know if there is even a limit on doe tags.

I guess that is one of the perks of having to beat them off with sticks for the rest of the year.

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not me in the avatar...perhaps someday :D

Long story short my buddy called it out with a cow call, and shot it through both shoulders with a 50 caliber muzzleloader. It took off into the woods. I found it, and put a 30.06 bullet in its heart (through left atrium). Dropped where it stood ;) it weighed somewhere around 900 pounds. Took us 3 hours to cut up into sixths (4 legs, front and rear halves) and we had to carry it out of the woods by hand.
That's where one of those chainsaw whinches come in handy. They're slow, but I will never quarter up another elk to pack it out, it sucks.

Not to whore up your thread, but heres a picture I took on my cell phone of one of my buddies elk they shot this bow season.

Deer season's starting Saturday down here, i'm excited, I've put about 3 boxes of shells though my 30.06 in the last couple days....I'm ready lol

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
You gotta draw for deer tags?

Here you get one buck for a gun season and one buck for a bow season, don't know if there is even a limit on doe tags.

I guess that is one of the perks of having to beat them off with sticks for the rest of the year.
They started doing that here in Colorado back in the late 90's. My 77 year old father use to get the deer tag for $10. way back when here in CO. I just finished a new knife case for a gut hook knife but I am not allowed to post it on this section of the fourm. I've e-mailed the webmaster to find out why.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Haha thanks goodole. I used to have to fight them off...I'm engaged now.

Here in the great white north... there is NO draw, I had tags for either sex elk, and either sex whitetail :D

All you do is walk in and purchase your tags.

Sorry to gloat Allan :p

Hopefully in a couple years ill go a little farther north and get caribou hunting.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
Nice! be sure to post pics. I have my white-tail deer tags as well, probably going to go shoot one in a couple weeks.

I know what you mean about the work....dear Lord that was heavy hauling out of the bush.
Nathan. went prong horn hunting Saturday. shot a nice 9" buck about 1/2 hour after sun rise. 122 yards. I used the b2 to haul him out of the field. Got one of those hitch haul trays and just put it on and drove out, My brother -in-law use to use the spare tire to haul his deer out of the woods.:icon_rofl: Still can't post pictures on this portion of TRS.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
nice work man! gonna need to see pics though. Mine was in through a thicket in the woods, couldnt have got it out even with a quad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals