• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Welp time to turn the ranger into a death trap.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Well ive decided to get a lift for my truck since im working on a budget im gonna go with the 4in rough country with the replacement springs. The rear of the truck is a no brainer but the front looks a bit more complicated is there any recommendations or tips to lifting these old ttb front ends?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Done right there’s no death trap to it. Biggest thing is finding a shop that knows how to properly align the TTB. The rest is pretty straightforward.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you're buying and installing a lift kit from a major manufacturer, there isn't much to figure out. Take your time, follow the instructions and work safely. You can ask questions and get help from the manufacturer or from us. Plus. Reading the articles in the tech library as mentioned above will help you understand how this suspension system works.

Be sure to use jack stands when working under your truck. Do not rely on the jack alone to suspend the vehicle. Also. Chock the wheels that are on the ground to prevent them from rolling and allowing the vehicle to fall.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I’d put it in 4x4, block wheels that are on the ground, use jack stands, be careful, etc. any time I put a vehicle on a jackstand (unless I’m just tossing one under while I swap a tire out), I’ll get the vehicle set on the stand and then do a ”bump and wiggle” check. Shove on the truck some and try to induce a little wiggle. See if it moves. If it does, I re-position, add another stand, etc. Last thing I want to do is close a cab door or bump into it or be wiggling something free and have the truck shift and/or come off the stands.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Done right there’s no death trap to it. Biggest thing is finding a shop that knows how to properly align the TTB. The rest is pretty straightforward.
I'm pretty sure it's the automotive equivalent to using an Ouija board, it takes a bit to get it right, but once it's done right it'll be fine for a good long while, I've been running a 6 inch skyjacker lift for well over a decade, it's been aligned twice during that time, one time only being a toe set and it still wears tires perfectly flat (and the truck handles better than my stock 98 4x2)

Yes, I’d put it in 4x4, block wheels that are on the ground, use jack stands, be careful, etc. any time I put a vehicle on a jackstand (unless I’m just tossing one under while I swap a tire out), I’ll get the vehicle set on the stand and then do a ”bump and wiggle” check. Shove on the truck some and try to induce a little wiggle. See if it moves. If it does, I re-position, add another stand, etc. Last thing I want to do is close a cab door or bump into it or be wiggling something free and have the truck shift and/or come off the stands.
As someone who has had a truck fall on them ( and almost lose a leg below the knee as a result) due to cutting corners on safety, I second this.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
When you're done, lend it to @bobbywalter to work out the bugs. If there is a bug, he'll find it!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would avoid rough country.

They used to be bad about punching holes in the front diff housing of D35's despite having stiff springs.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Last week a guy in my shop finished a brake job for another guy. He lowered a F450 mason dump off the jack stands and found out the he hard way that it wasn’t in park. It rolled back and crushed him against the bay door. He got the wind knocked out of him, soft tissue damage, bruised rib cage, a few cuts/ scrapes, and pretty much passed out.
Here’s a re-enactment of the incident... Yes, that’s the exact sound he made when it happened:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

They used to be bad about punching holes in the front diff housing of D35's despite having stiff springs.
Well, there is this. I would recommend James Duff. Skyjacker would be a good second choice. My method was a build-your-own.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15

I read about that in the tech library but i ended up getting rough country because its all i really can afford and im just gonna hope and pray it don't hit my dif.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
When you're done, lend it to @bobbywalter to work out the bugs. If there is a bug, he'll find it!
Yea im gonna have to ask him about something after installing the lift it has a really bad shake in the rear when i takes off

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea im gonna have to ask him about something after installing the lift it has a really bad shake in the rear when i takes off
Does it use blocks for the rear? Did you stack them on the factory blocks if so?

IMHO, I think I would have waited until I could afford a better lift or something. I did my lift to my choptop on the cheap using the tech library. I had got my hands on 2” lift coils and the truck had air shocks in the back that I pumped up. Then I had found a used James Duff set of 3” coils and axle pivot drops. Found someone to Fab up some extended control arms. Used the Belltech Chevy drop shackles in the rear. Then I added the F-150 spring perches to the front and built custom leaf packs for the rear. Bought a drop pitman arm. Shocks I took my compressed and extended lengths and the ends I needed and had a parts store dig through the books until they found what would work. Eventually built my own extended control arms. Added a 2” body lift too. Whole process took a few years and eventually I’ll probably do something better for the lift, but I was able to do it cheaply and it works. Well, I probably spent in parts and time what it would have cost to buy a Duff or Skyjacker lift from the start, but it was spread over a few years so a bit more manageable to someone short on cash.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Does it use blocks for the rear? Did you stack them on the factory blocks if so?

IMHO, I think I would have waited until I could afford a better lift or something. I did my lift to my choptop on the cheap using the tech library. I had got my hands on 2” lift coils and the truck had air shocks in the back that I pumped up. Then I had found a used James Duff set of 3” coils and axle pivot drops. Found someone to Fab up some extended control arms. Used the Belltech Chevy drop shackles in the rear. Then I added the F-150 spring perches to the front and built custom leaf packs for the rear. Bought a drop pitman arm. Shocks I took my compressed and extended lengths and the ends I needed and had a parts store dig through the books until they found what would work. Eventually built my own extended control arms. Added a 2” body lift too. Whole process took a few years and eventually I’ll probably do something better for the lift, but I was able to do it cheaply and it works. Well, I probably spent in parts and time what it would have cost to buy a Duff or Skyjacker lift from the start, but it was spread over a few years so a bit more manageable to someone short on cash.
I did not stack blocks my lift came new leaf springs but i did put the factory blocks under them. But that lift you described sounds like my dads first ranger that he home built a 12in suspension lift and a 2 or 3in body lift

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I did not stack blocks my lift came new leaf springs but i did put the factory blocks under them. But that lift you described sounds like my dads first ranger that he home built a 12in suspension lift and a 2 or 3in body lift
Glad to hear that. Sure everything got torqued down? Sure nothing worked loose? My F-150 when I put new spring packs on, I torqued the one pack bolt down twice before I put a longer bolt in and a regular nut plus a nylock nut and locktite. Still have no idea why it kept working loose. I’m just kinda throwing out ideas. I ended up with about 5” of suspension lift. No blocks in the rear, it’s Explorer packs plus a couple leafs and a shackle. Front is 3” coils on the 2” you get out of the spring perches. I used Ballistic Fab joints on the control arms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals